or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Are these welted?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Are these welted?

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
Hi fellas,

Just wanted to get some advice on these shoes before I pulled the trigger...
I quite like them, and may get them as an antiquing project...

They seem to be welted, but I'm not 100% sure...

Thanks
LL
LL
LL
post #2 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashkobalt View Post
Hi fellas,

Just wanted to get some advice on these shoes before I pulled the trigger...
I quite like them, and may get them as an antiquing project...

They seem to be welted, but I'm not 100% sure...

Thanks

In the second picture it doesn't appear welted. But the third picture says otherwise...as I can see the channel outlining the sole. Ask for more pictures.
post #3 of 11
It's hard to tell from the pics. It could be a "dummy" welt. Are you able to look inside the shoe?
post #4 of 11
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the replies chaps...

Will ask the seller to send me a pic of the insides of the shoes...leather seems to be quite nice though...
post #5 of 11
They appear to be reverse welted--i.e., having a "storm welt" (C&J) or "fudge welt" (EG). I've seen this occasionally simulated (without any welt), but here it appears to be the real thing. Who is the maker (I can't make out the label)? That would probably give us the answer.
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetnose View Post
In the second picture it doesn't appear welted. But the third picture says otherwise...as I can see the channel outlining the sole. Ask for more pictures.
If by that you mean the line of stitching, this wouldn't guarantee a welt, just a stitched-on sole. From the distance in from the edge that the stitching appears, they could be Blake stitched. However, my guess is that they are reverse-welted.
post #7 of 11
Thread Starter 
Roger,

The shoes are the in-house brand of a shoe store here in Australia. I actually called the store and the salesperson when questioned said that "some" of the line were welted, and some were not...
The spiel from the website read thus:

Drawing on over 50 years of high end mens retailing, Josephs in house brand of footwear has been tailored to todays needs with contemporary style and value. Josephs shoes are all made in Spain to our own specifications allowing us to offer bespoke colours with top quality calf, kid and deer skin leathers. Josephs Classic line of shoes are made using the tradional and durable Goodyear welted process.
post #8 of 11
I work for a welted firm based in Northampton....in my opinion they are not welted.

They are more than likely cemented with a "rand" which is stuck to the edge of the sole.

Hope this helps
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by xm80 View Post
I work for a welted firm based in Northampton....in my opinion they are not welted.

They are more than likely cemented with a "rand" which is stuck to the edge of the sole.

Hope this helps
What about the stitching that is evident on the sole?
post #10 of 11
Tons of non-welted shoes have stitching on the sole. Weejuns, almost everything Cole Haan makes, etc.
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by videocrew View Post
Tons of non-welted shoes have stitching on the sole. Weejuns, almost everything Cole Haan makes, etc.
Of course, like any Blake-stitched shoe, for example. However, xm80 conjectured that the soles were cemented.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Are these welted?