• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The White Shirt Poll

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The topic of white shirts comes up now and again, including recently on WAYWN. I would like to know how often members wear a white shirt when you wear a suit and tie. If you seldom wear one, but tend do so more frequently in a specific setting (e.g., at night), then feel free to elaborate, and if you have a favorite fabric (e.g., cotton-linen blend), please share.

Arch Stanton

Reaction score
I wear a suit every day to work, and I wear a solid white shirt maybe once a week. I just feel with all the great colors and patterns available, I always find myself reaching for a shirt with color. I will sport a white shirt when I feel the need to wear something on the conservative side. Since I cant stand to wear a T-shirt under my dress shirts, I only wear solid white shirts that have a small % of stretch blended into the fabric. I have found that you cant see your skin through these shirts like most white dress shirts.

Blackl3232

Reaction score
I wear white shirts probably 80 or 90% of the time. I mainly wear other colors with certain colors of suits that I don't like white with...brown, tan, etc.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i started wearing them recently and actually like the fact that they're a blank canvas quite a bit, make some complex getups alot easier.

ykurtz

Reaction score
I have black hair, and fair skin. With a dark navy or grey suit, the white works very well with me. White and pale blue are the two dress shirt colors I wear the most. The white doesn't suck the color out of my features in the Spring, Summer or Fall. I tend to avoid white shirts in the winter, as living in Chicago in the winter tends to pale the skin. I'll wear a lot more blues then. But after 2 days in the sun, I'm back ready to wear the white.

mmhollis

Reaction score
I responded frequently, but I'd probably wear one more if it wasn't such a struggle to find a regular white shirt with a spread collar that has slim fit. It really shouldn't be this hard!

minnesotamoon

Reaction score
Is there a brand or type of cotton that will show less shirt when wearing white? That is my big hesitation on wearing white more often. I don't like having my shirt show through, especially if I were to lose the tie after hours and have my v-neck showing through the front.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let me answer this way. I've got about 25 dress shirts. I'm guessing almost 20 are white.

Irv

Reaction score
I would wear a white based shirt about 90% of the time but many of my white shirts will have a self stripe or fine pin stripe, etc through them.

I simply find that they will go with just about any suit/tie combination so it makes sense to have more of them.

Nexus6

Reaction score
I wear slightly off-white shirt once per week (Usually a 'monday' shirt).

Blinding white, or 'dead white', never.
Dead White makes people look 'coffin-ready'.

On the other hand,
a nice dead-white shirt can come in handy if you intend on taking the afternoon off work.
It gives a nice 'not feeling well' palor to the face.

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nexus6

On the other hand,
a nice dead-white shirt can come in handy if you intend on taking the afternoon off work.

lol8[1].gif

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nexus6
I wear slightly off-white shirt once per week (Usually a 'monday' shirt).

On the other hand,

I always get the feeling that "off-white," "ivory," or "cream," just looks dirty to the glancing eye.

But that's just me.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On one of the (currently infrequent) occasions I wear a suit or clothes of a similar smartness I wear a plain white shirt fairly often. I know they sometimes get bad press compared to a pale blue shirt say, but I think with a Navy suit/jacket they look terrific.
Probably have 3 or 4 of them out of a total of maybe 12ish French cuffed shirts (didn't bring most of them to uni, so I am not sure of the total number of the top of my head).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads