or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › Country Music Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Country Music Appreciation Thread - Page 2

post #16 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by edinatlanta View Post
Despite being a Dawg fan, I knew you was legit.

You coming to the meetup?

Haha. Yes, well, if my greatest flaw is being a fan of a team that loses to Tech once every nine years or so, I guess I'm doing alright.

I hadn't heard about the meetup.
post #17 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG View Post
Haha. Yes, well, if my greatest flaw is being a fan of a team that loses to Tech once every nine years or so, I guess I'm doing alright.

I hadn't heard about the meetup.

Where's the meet? Might be worth the drive from Tally?

My faves, also a bluegrass nut:

The Texas guys:
Cory Morrow
Robert Earl Keen
Pat Green (pre-Wave on Wave)
Jason Boland

Also,
Alan Jackson
Shooter
Dierks
Sam Bush
Bill Monroe
Hank I
Grandpa Jones
Slim Dusty (what is it with Aussie country and yodeling?)
Buck Strickland
post #18 of 180
For newer guys:
Charlie Robison
Robert Earl Keen
Reckless Kelly
Jason Boland
The Great Divide
Kevin Fowler
(Do not want: Pat Green, Correy Morrow, , and Cross Canadian Ragweed)

George Straight, how can you not.
post #19 of 180
George Jones

Patsy Cline

Waylon Jennings

Emmlou Harris

Steve Earle

Mary Chapin Carpenter


It is almost a crime what has happened to the genre. Most current country music is monstrous garbage. Now the average country song blows as hard if not harder than the average rock song.
post #20 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan View Post
Where's the meet? Might be worth the drive from Tally?

My faves, also a bluegrass nut:

The Texas guys:
Cory Morrow
Robert Earl Keen
Pat Green (pre-Wave on Wave)
Jason Boland

Also,
Alan Jackson
Shooter
Dierks
Sam Bush
Bill Monroe
Hank I
Grandpa Jones
Slim Dusty (what is it with Aussie country and yodeling?)
Buck Strickland

The meet is in ATL. Can't vouch for it being worth the drive. This will be my first experience with the Atlanta SF crew (or any SF crew for that matter).

I almost mentioned Shooter. I like his stuff, he's kind of a rocked-out version of his dad.

Are you a McMurtry fan? With a group set aside for Texas, I was a bit surprised to see him not on your list.
post #21 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcaimen View Post
George Jones

Patsy Cline

Waylon Jennings

Emmlou Harris

Steve Earle

Mary Chapin Carpenter


/THREAD.
post #22 of 180
Loretta Lynn (early & Jack White), Porter Wagoner, Tammy Wynette, Billie Jo Spears, Jean Shepard are all worthwhile. Hank Williams III is an interesting fellow. I've an acquaintance who does gay Christian country named Glen Meadmore. He has the largest collection of John Wayne Gacy paintings.
post #23 of 180
Can we talk about alt-country in here too?
post #24 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian278 View Post
Can we talk about alt-country in here too?

Why not? What are your picks?
post #25 of 180
Thread Starter 
Buck,
Townes,
Shooter,
Waylon,
J. Cash
J. Rodriguez
Texas Tornadoes (come on really? No fu*king Tex-Mex love here?)
Flaco Jimenez (stretching it)
J. Paycheck.
George Jones
Neko Case
Patsy
Loretta,
Flatlanders
Gourds, The
Dallas Wayne
Dale Watson
Hanks I-III
Hank Thompson
Dwight
Robbie Fulks
Merle,
Uncle Tupelo,
Meat Purveyors,
Country Dick Montana,
The outlaws, the rebels, the good for nothings, that's what I like.

Man I'm leaving a ton of people off that list.
post #26 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by edinatlanta View Post
Neko Case

post #27 of 180
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatlese View Post

Would make sweet passionate love with her. At least twice.
post #28 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian278 View Post
Can we talk about alt-country in here too?

By all means. I would say we've started to touch on it with Hank III and Shooter.

Are we including Drive-By Truckers in the alt-country category? I know some would say they're Southern Rock. Regardless, they're probably one of my top five favorite bands right now.
post #29 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatlese View Post
Why not? What are your picks?
Highly partial to Neko Case. To a lesser extent, Ryan Adams, Wilco, and Jenny Lewis. The standard more indie-ish stuff. Also artists that aren't really alt-country but incorporate some elements here and there, M. Ward, etc. Can't claim to be into what are probably the "real" alt-country bands that are going to be rattled off here. Ironically, I actively hate 99% of all popular country, i.e. Kenny Chesney, Alan Jackson, Jason Aldean, etc....it's some of the most derivative, corny shit I've ever heard in my life.
post #30 of 180
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG View Post
By all means. I would say we've started to touch on it with Hank III and Shooter.

Are we including Drive-By Truckers in the alt-country category? I know some would say they're Southern Rock. Regardless, they're probably one of my top five favorite bands right now.

I got some DBT love.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › Country Music Appreciation Thread