or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Dry denim fad..?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dry denim fad..? - Page 4

post #46 of 56
As far as I observed, there is some kind of a rush on those f*****g Nudies... But the bigger part of the people around here don't seem to like "dark" denim, be it raw, selvedge or just some rinse wash... which is fine for me, because I always loved dark blue jeans and would hate to see them getting too mainstream

Oh, and +1 on washing them as soon as possible... reading Styleforum I came to think that maybe I was the only one who likes them dark
post #47 of 56
Well i guess if you stay around these boards long enough you hear everything. so now dry denim isnt that cool anymore lol... awesome. Man i dont care if its cool or trendy or what. At the end of the day i think it s about versatility and quality. Old school dry denim that will last along time provided you dont get crotch blowouts (which we all do), and the versatility of going from dark to distressed over the period of years is a nice asset to get in a pair of jeans. My main gripe with designer prewashed jeans and such is the stack effect or lack thereof you know you see it everywhere some guy who paid a fair amount for his nice prewashed jeans and when hes is a sitting position with his legs crossed or whatever and you see his nice old tube socks half way up his shinbone, to me it just looks childish even on a 50 year old man.. i love the way my LVC's and my APC's stack thats the main thing in addition to the fact i can wear them 100 times in a row without a belt or the waistband ever loosening up.. to me the afore mentioned factors make dry denim my defacto choice for denim.. and will into the indefinate future.. and where im at every so often youll see some dark denim mostly on women and i doubt its really authentic so its really not hit mainstream...
post #48 of 56
i just like the idea of making my own fades. for now i will stick with raw until i get bored of that.
post #49 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemanvt View Post
i just like the idea of making my own fades. for now i will stick with raw until i get bored of that.

you honestly think you're going to come to a point where you'll be "bored" of raw denim? That's sad to hear
post #50 of 56
more like bored of waiting for it to fade? or maybe bored of denim in general who knows. my tastes are fickle like the wind
post #51 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamless74 View Post
you know you see it everywhere some guy who paid a fair amount for his nice prewashed jeans and when hes is a sitting position with his legs crossed or whatever and you see his nice old tube socks half way up his shinbone, to me it just looks childish even on a 50 year old man..
This is why men who know how to dress themselves wear socks that match their jeans or trousers. White gym socks are a bummer look anyway. Better to go with navy casual socks for dark jeans.
post #52 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by wttm View Post
My point is, all a sudden people not liking pre washed denim because the internet/magazine said so is sad. I understand the fact that you want to wear darker denim for another aesthetics. It's like people all of a sudden only look for selvage denims when some non selvage is just as good quality but they don't care cause its not selvage or raw.
I get what you're saying but I'm not sure if you're looking at the bigger picture or even the entire story.

People can and usually do wear what they want. If a person buys into raw jeans because they've read that it's in style then clearly they're just looking for something fashionable and "new." More than likely these same people are just going to go to their nearest comfort store or brand for their pair and figure that it's all the same; I'd say it's rare that they'd do much more research than that. I doubt these people give a shit about quality. It's not necessarily sad, they're just trying to look as good as they can based on limited information and/or budgets.

But you're arguing more about the people on this forum that discriminate against anything that isn't raw selvage. I think you're severely generalizing if you think everyone here buys jeans with the same intentions. Sure, the newbie on the forum might be buying those APCs because people on the internet told him that his Diesels were trash and might go a few months down the road preferring to keep that point of view.

That's fine for "beginners" but what about the rest of us who aren't just in it for the looks but also the craftsmanship and details? Hell, there are a few on here that wear pre-distressed selvage jeans, are they just as sad? What companies that don't offer raw selvage can you name that offer equal or superior to selvage quality denim and washes that don't completely suck? Seriously, I'd love to know. I'm not saying that selvage EQUALS quality but you can't argue that the brands people wear here (5EP, RRL, 45rpm, etc) don't offer the best denim on the planet.
post #53 of 56
albert is correct.
I sell just as much raw denim as I do washed.
There is a HUGE difference between fashion and quality. I would bet my money that most of the people on this forum go with quality 9 out of 10 times, no matter what there income level is.
post #54 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by wttm View Post
Believe it or not, Uniqlo has some pretty good washed jeans IMHO. I got some s-001 that is pretty nice. Might not be "authentic" to some gurus but I like them. Fades, whiskers, and honeycomb are pretty spot on for me.

I've been meaning to check out Uniqlo, because NYC is only about an hour and a half drive from where my parents live. I'm currently looking for some lighter coloured, washed, slim-straight (but not slim straight like 514, slim straight like slim jims) jeans. Maybe if I pop by NYC next week I'll check out what Uniqlo has to offer.
post #55 of 56
I can remember when pretty much all jeans were dry denim. Dry denim is what I wear when I am not working construction or playing in the mud. I like the concept of individual wear patterns. I liken it to the patina of a well used leather bag or jacket. There's a story behind it about the individual and where they've been and what they've done. For work I go with the run of the mill stuff from Lee and Carhartt. They can be prewashed or stone washed (uniformly faded) but you can keep the stuff that is fake faded. To me it doesn't look right.
post #56 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodini View Post
I get what you're saying but I'm not sure if you're looking at the bigger picture or even the entire story.

People can and usually do wear what they want. If a person buys into raw jeans because they've read that it's in style then clearly they're just looking for something fashionable and "new." More than likely these same people are just going to go to their nearest comfort store or brand for their pair and figure that it's all the same; I'd say it's rare that they'd do much more research than that. I doubt these people give a shit about quality. It's not necessarily sad, they're just trying to look as good as they can based on limited information and/or budgets.

But you're arguing more about the people on this forum that discriminate against anything that isn't raw selvage. I think you're severely generalizing if you think everyone here buys jeans with the same intentions. Sure, the newbie on the forum might be buying those APCs because people on the internet told him that his Diesels were trash and might go a few months down the road preferring to keep that point of view.

That's fine for "beginners" but what about the rest of us who aren't just in it for the looks but also the craftsmanship and details? Hell, there are a few on here that wear pre-distressed selvage jeans, are they just as sad? What companies that don't offer raw selvage can you name that offer equal or superior to selvage quality denim and washes that don't completely suck? Seriously, I'd love to know. I'm not saying that selvage EQUALS quality but you can't argue that the brands people wear here (5EP, RRL, 45rpm, etc) don't offer the best denim on the planet.

Maybe I frequent too many forums to have that generalization into my judgement, but I've come across many posters with that mentality. I do not have any brands that I know of are more superior in quality compared to the ones you listed, but I do remember RingRing from Superfuture stating that before. Also, coming from Superfuture, you can see that a lot of members over there were buying Japanese repros 1-2 years before and now all moved on to something else. Just my obversation, but I do see your point.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Dry denim fad..?