• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does Most Pique Material Shrink in the Wash?

GQBaller

Reaction score
I know Lacoste's pique polos tend to shrink significantly in the wash. I just bought a different brand and sized up.

Do most pique materials shrink, or is there something different about Lacoste (weave, composition, etc)?

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you wash on the cold setting and don't machine dry it shouldn't shrink. That's how I wash all my polos (Lacoste, RL, etc) and haven't noticed any shrinking.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ruined a Fred Perry polo but putting it in the dryer, so be careful.

... On a related note, if a short husky gentleman is looking for a black/red Fred Perry polo, just PM me.

seamless74

Reaction score
yeah no **** wash a fred perry on hot and then machine dry for an hour and youll have a nice form fitting halter top...

blackdarkeye

Reaction score
why is that these mid-high end polos ( fred perry and lacoste) shrink so much, but the 10 dollar polos i can get from jcpenny dont shrink at all?

JakeTS86

Reaction score
I have ruined two Lyle and Scott polos in the wash, they came out square! It says you can wash them at 40*C but I wouldn't advise going above 30. Very annoying.
mad.gif

Faded501s

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dryer heat shrinks the f'ck out of cotton. Just to make it simple I buy everything to be washed cold and tumble-dried low to avoid sorting or damaging laundry. I've ruined a couple of pieces along the way but screw hand-washing and drying flat. Woolite, cold water, gentle cycles and a little bit of Shout do a great job of cleaning and are easy on fabric. Heat fades color and alters/degrades materials. Shrinkage from extreme dryer heat can cause irrevocable harm when it occurs at different rates in the same piece. Over-drying a piece (even on low) ******** it up. Hot wash/dry only for whites or to shrink cotton.

There is a lot off difference in piques which have a looser weave and tendency to shrink. I like the thicker, rougher piques have a solid drape and tend to shrink the least. Size up one and do a hot dry to tighten up the weave, thicken the material, and get that coarse duck-like fabric. Hmm...I need to start wearing more polos.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackdarkeye
why is that these mid-high end polos ( fred perry and lacoste) shrink so much, but the 10 dollar polos i can get from jcpenny dont shrink at all?

Ha ha! Yeah. You'd think Fred Perry and Lacoste would learn something from JC Penny. Sheesh.

thefreeman

Reaction score
As has been said before ITT, cold wash. Then, don't even think about the dryer. Hang it up and let dry overnight, making sure you have the shoulder seams on the edge of the hanger. Promotes a good fit and doesn't shrink at all.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ruined my favorite polo (gray w/ red trim and small collar FP) by putting it in the dryer.
frown.gif

LordWanker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
Ha ha! Yeah. You'd think Fred Perry and Lacoste would learn something from JC Penny. Sheesh.

Read the label. More than likely the JC Penny brand will have a synthetics mix and this prevents the shrinkage.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I know. My remark was in jest.

RugbyCub

Reaction score
WELL Big Pun....Ruined or not.... at least you had the pleasure of owning it for a while..... I've been wanting THAT shirt for 20 months....but sadly I misssed it when it was for sale.....now there are none to be had ANYWHERE!

Still im sorry that happened to you

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads