• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to wear during the first week at a new job?

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright, so I've searched around, but I don't believe anyone has made a thread regarding this topic...

There are countless threads devoted to job interview attire, but what does one wear after they land the job? More specifically, what do you wear during the first week of work?
For myself, I've recently found a position in a national non-profit doing policy research. The office atmosphere is the dreaded "business casual." While this is often incredibly vague, I saw most workers wearing dress shirts, slacks, chinos, and dress shoes (tons of Banana Republic and Kenneth Cole, I'm sure). Definitely no one wearing suits and I would imagine that ties and jackets are seldom worn, if at all. My supervisor informed me that denim is not allowed, except on Fridays where people dress more casual. Even then denim needs to be "dressy denim." ...
rolleyes.gif

Personally, I hate business casual. I'd rather go the whole nine yards than try to find some awkward middle ground. Once I've settled in the position, I generally know how I plan on dressing. I intend on wearing jackets when not wearing a tie, and wearing a tie or sweater when not wearing a jacket. Occasionally I'll wear a shirt sans tie and jacket (summer is around the corner, after all). Lots of OCBD and other button downs. Loafers, oxfords, or perhaps a dressier boat shoe on Fridays.

All of this aside, what do I wear during the first day/week? I'm thinking blazer, chinos, tie, and brown oxfords. I know this is pretty conservative, but is there anything that's off limits? Knit ties a no-no? What about loafers? Patterned jackets? I have some thrifted Hickey Freeman jackets; one in a subtle glen plaid, the other is more of a bold tweed pattern. I also have some light blue slim fit chinos. I haven't had the opportunity to wear these in my current position, but I'm trying step up my game, sartorially speaking.

I'm probably thinking about this too much, but I'm bored at work and any insights you guys could offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would without a doubt wear a blazer and tie.

southbound35

Reaction score
I'd go with dress pants and a patterned dress shirt shirt (no jacket, no tie) for the first few days, unless you are running the place (in which case you can wear whatever you want).

Why dress two steps up from everyone in the office?

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by southbound35
Why dress two steps up from everyone in the office?

Because that is how I dress no matter where I go.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i say wear a jacket and tie, remove the jacket when at your desk. No reason to put undue wear on your jackets, and you can still look sharp while out to lunch, ect.

i would wear odd jackets though, no suits.

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Odd jacket and chinos are the way to go.

When you go that casual, fit is everything.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tough dilemma, but think of it this way: if you start two tiers down from your favourite level of sartorialism to fit in, and then ratchet it up later, people will think you're being pretentious and weird. If you start right at the top, it may seem strange at first, but you won't have to explain any changes later on.

At least it has consistency going for it.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
SF member bmulford has posted in the WAYWN thread several business casual looks with an odd jacket sans tie. IMO his posts demonstrate how business casual can be done very well.

Albern

Reaction score
Sports jacket and tie would be the best way to go. Never wear a tie sans a jacket (coming into work I mean - it's okay to take off your jacket in the office), it looks half assed to me and a lot of people do it.

I would even suggest odd wool trousers rather than chinos; they can take weekly wear better than chinos and they'll look better with with the jacket.

I guess I would suggest that you at least always bring a jacket and a pocket square. Feel free to even go tie-less but have a pocket square anyway; you won't go back to not wearing a jacket without one - something that I found out quickly when I started wearing them.

Nexus6

Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
Tough dilemma, but think of it this way: if you start two tiers down from your favourite level of sartorialism to fit in, and then ratchet it up later, people will think you're being pretentious and weird. If you start right at the top, it may seem strange at first, but you won't have to explain any changes later on.

+1 Beautifully written. Not one word wasted. Amen.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

sounds like a good idea, get your street rep up the first week by dressing the nines, then in a couple weeks you'll just be the guy who dresses up nicely, which is certainly not a bad thing.

JFKJean

Reaction score

That's funny b/c I was gonna suggest going balls out from the second week on and dedicating the first week's looks to a somewhat reserved but still being able to stand out kind of thing...but you've got me on your side too

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i think it's fine to dress a step or two above everyone coming in. shows you're serious. jacket works great because if you start getting the wrong kind of attention you can easily take it off and drape it over your chair.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Be a drone. Wear what everyone else wears.

Kidding. But I do think you don't want to overdo it right off the bat. Wear a jacket and no tie. I don't think you want to be the only guy in a tie. My experience with business casual is the same as business attire. Those who know how to put it all together - fit, color, texture, etc. - stand out. Even when everyone is wearing a suit, some guys always wear it better.

If you want to wear a tie later on, do so. Look for excuses - big meeting, going out after work, whatever.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads