• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are exercises like jumping rope bad for the knees?

Fat-Elvis

Reaction score
I recently took an interest in adding jumping rope to my exercise regimen because it's really easy to do and can be fairly intense cardio. Only thing that concerns me is it seems like an exercise that really gives the knees a beating. If you do them properly, and do them on a mat, are they okay to do in the long term without risking knee damage?

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jumping rope is awesome for cardio. I can't imagine any problems with knees or anything. I do a couple of rounds of it to warm up before Muay Thai. If anything, I found that it took a while for my ankles to adjust and my toes stop hurting from banging them all of the time with the rope.

I've since moved onto a weighted rope and it burns my biceps and forearms.

It also took a month or two of doing it a couple of days a week to be able to jump through a three minute round without stopping or losing control.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If your knees are in good shape and you are not very overweight, yes, probably. Concern yourself with the short term first - start gradually and stop if jumping rope causes you pain.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I just bounce with the ankles and leave the knees slightly bent the whole time. Don't get much pounding at all.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if youre doing it right you should hardly be jumping off the ground. should be less strenuous on the knees then walking. just dont do two feet together right beside eachother as ive heard its bad for your back etc and when doing it it does seem that way. do like the boxers and one leg infront etc.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The constant jumping creates stress on your knees, ankles and hip joints. In the long run, I don't know how it could be beneficial.

Qubaduck

Reaction score
Skipping is only really bad for you if you're not skipping particularly well. Really, you should be raising off the floor no more than a few centimetres, as previously stated. If you're jumping up and down like back in grade two I can see how it could become a worry over time, but once you've learned to skip well it's no worse than anything else. Just like running properly is much easier on the knees than runnign poorly.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Qubaduck
Skipping is only really bad for you if you're not skipping particularly well. Really, you should be raising off the floor no more than a few centimetres, as previously stated. If you're jumping up and down like back in grade two I can see how it could become a worry over time, but once you've learned to skip well it's no worse than anything else. Just like running properly is much easier on the knees than runnign poorly.

It's also going to depend on the surface your doing it on.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
no, because your ankles and shins absorb the impact.

Joe E Taleo

Reaction score
Never thought about it- when I used to do them I thought they were very low impact, because you're not really lifting your feet too much once you get good at it, and after a while your calves get pretty strong (lessening impact even more) and ankles get strong (tendons get tougher, I think- smart guys can enlighten me if this is incorrect) which I think would actually lessen your chances at injury. I also only jumped rope on a wood floor (or when the gym filled up, in the ring) in the gym, which is obviously much lower impact than jumping rope on like concrete.

And, I think this is true for any sort of repetitive exercise, you can get efficient enough where it's not really even giving you a workout anymore, unless you mix it up by double skipping or varying your pace or however. I'd jump rope to warm up for boxing, and if I were feeling lazy I'd go ahead and jump rope for two rounds (including thirty second breaks) and barely be breaking a sweat. I'm not saying I could do that now, even at an easy pace I think I'd be dead after one round.

Working Stiff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's bad for your kness is only doing exercises that involve little or no impact. Activities like running, which put moderate stress on your joints, actually make those joints stronger and help maintain bone density. I think that jumping rope is a good idea, though I have never done it myself.

coldarchon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fat-Elvis
If you do them properly, and do them on a mat, are they okay to do in the long term without risking knee damage?

how are they done properly?

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
skipping rope is great exercise

running on a treadmill is where i'd worry about my knees.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads