or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Best dry cleaners in NYC?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best dry cleaners in NYC? - Page 2

post #16 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercitynyc View Post

Do they iron down your lapels or leave them unpressed? I just looked up yelp reviews and its a bunch of girls sending ther wedding dresses there...

Look, I have no dog in this fight.

1. Find me a dry cleaner whose yelp reviews has a bunch of guys posting about their suit service....you won't bc most guys getting expensive suits dry leaned by the best places in the city aren't writing yelp reviews.

2. Meurice was mentioned above thread. You can try them too. Any suit I really cared about I wouldn't trust to anyone else besides those two places. If it's a cheaper suit then roll the dice at your local place. A hidden gem may exist, but I haven't heard about it and did some in depth research before going with Hallak. If you find one, please share!

3. Another idea, call Paul Stuart and ask who they recommend.
Edited by StockwellDay - 10/13/12 at 1:36pm
post #17 of 58
Madame Paulette 65th & 2nd. Never had issues with lapels being 'pressed' with Hallak; they are usually rolled.

Even when I dropped off my suits at random dry cleaners in the past, they were always rolled. Worst case after a few months you take them to another dry cleaner and learn from your experience.
post #18 of 58
Hallak for jackets/overcoats. Sure it's expensive, but they do a nice hand press and will follow directions.
post #19 of 58

What's wrong with the plastic on the first shirt button? It does help with the "over rolled" collar. Or why not do hand press for $8-9? What I hate are crazy prices for pants - anything with a two handle makes me sick.

post #20 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballines View Post

Any ideas? I've got one suit that I'd really like to give the royal treatment when it comes to cleaning. Preferably in east 50s or West Village. Thanks.

just curious why a dry cleaner in such disparate locations would work for you? 

post #21 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhones View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballines View Post

Any ideas? I've got one suit that I'd really like to give the royal treatment when it comes to cleaning. Preferably in east 50s or West Village. Thanks.

just curious why a dry cleaner in such disparate locations would work for you? 


I assume he works in the east 50's and lives in the west village...
post #22 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercitynyc View Post

Do they iron down your lapels or leave them unpressed? I just looked up yelp reviews and its a bunch of girls sending ther wedding dresses there...

You want your lapels pressed, just not pressed flat. From what others have said, Hallak's hand presses with a nice roll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhones View Post

just curious why a dry cleaner in such disparate locations would work for you? 

The OP hasn't posted in over 7 years. You may have to wait awhile for an answer. happy.gif
post #23 of 58

i can't imagine picking up or dropping off clothes close to my office as opposed to my home.

post #24 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhones View Post

i can't imagine picking up or dropping off clothes close to my office as opposed to my home.


Ok, good for you.
post #25 of 58

do you do your dry cleaning near home or the office?  do you carry your dirty clothes around with you for longer than you have to, or do you bring them to the closest suitable place?  if not, do your colleagues ask why you are carring around your dirty clothes?

post #26 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhones View Post

do you do your dry cleaning near home or the office?  do you carry your dirty clothes around with you for longer than you have to, or do you bring them to the closest suitable place?  if not, do your colleagues ask why you are carring around your dirty clothes?


Do you keep a spare suit in your office? Does your office have a gym, lockers and showers so that dirty laundry and intraday clothing changes are normal and it would be a pain to take dirty clothes home?
post #27 of 58

What's expensive enough to justify Hallak? Anything short of British/Italian/Spanish bespoke? My most expensive jacket is for a tuxedo, business suits get worn every day and stuff happens, and even at one dry clean every 6 months that's still close to $1000 a year for a 10 suit rotation, enough to buy or have a quality suit made.

post #28 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by eotm View Post

What's expensive enough to justify Hallak? Anything short of British/Italian/Spanish bespoke? My most expensive jacket is for a tuxedo, business suits get worn every day and stuff happens, and even at one dry clean every 6 months that's still close to $1000 a year for a 10 suit rotation, enough to buy or have a quality suit made.

1dry clean every six months is far too much. Spot clean if "stuff happens." Use a suit brush for regular maintainence. dry clean as absolute last resort.
post #29 of 58

Was unpleasantly surprised after using Madame Paulette for the first time - nice job removing a stain from a lapel- but TERRIBLE job pressing the suit - the lapel was pressed as if it were a 3-roll-2 jacket rather than the 2-button jacket it is.  

 

Anyone else have this odd problem with m.p.?

 

Since its been a while since most of the above posts - any recent thoughts on Meurice versus Hallak, or other suggestions, preferably East/West Village? This is for spot cleaning and pressing. Thank you.

post #30 of 58
It seems Hallak gave my cashmere shirt to another customer. ffffuuuu.gif

I hope they can get it back.

... They found it! Whew!
Edited by poorsod - 6/11/13 at 5:31pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Best dry cleaners in NYC?