• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Basic Tie Questions

BBdude

Reaction score
Curious question from a relative newb.

I have quite a few ties. Mostly from JAB, CT, a few cheap Nautica ties, and I recently purchased some from Jim Thorpe ties while in Bangkok.

1.)
For some odd reason, each of my ties tie very differently. The JAB and Nautica ties tie the best (I use a full Windsor). Why in the world can't I get the others to look good? Granted, I'm very anal about how my ties look, but there shouldn't be something wrong with that
bigstar[1].gif

The CT ties are much thicker (maybe it's a British thing?) so I have to tie them using a half Windsor which I don't especially like ... but even with a half Windsor the knot is almost too big.

2.)
Some of my ties are a bit wrinkled/twisted in the area around where the knot is tied. Also, some have a (noticeable) crease on the viewable portion of the tie when knotted from packing them in my suitcase. How can I get these creases/wrinkles out aside from dry cleaning the ties?

Thanks in advance as always, gents!

JacobJacob

Reaction score
2: Next time you take a long hot shower, hang the ties in the bathroom (not under the shower off course), and let them be for some time. This should stretch the wrinkles and twists out. If it doesn't help, do it again.
You could also flatten the ties under a folded tea-towel and do some gentle ironing. Some might say this is damaging the ties, so don't do it too often nor over do it whilst at it. As said, do it gentle, show patience and remember to keep an eye on the tie and the towel and adjust them when you feel it is necessary.

I have been lucky with both methods, but I recommend you try the first before ironing.

Good luck.

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thicker ties (like your CT) are really meant to be tied with smaller knots, like a half Windsor or a four in hand. If you prefer using the full Windsor, I'd suggest getting thinner ties. It's also all in how you tie your knot. Some people don't tighten their knots enough so the finished knot looks huge.

As for the wrinkles you should NEVER send you tie to the dry cleaners. Either use the steamer setting on your iron (but never let the iron touch the tie!) or invest in a hand steamer. After steaming stretch the tie VERY gently vertically to help get it back to it's original shape. Also NEVER leave your ties knotted when your not wearing them. Always untie them properly before storing.

teacha.gif

BBdude

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CharlesAlexander
Thicker ties (like your CT) are really meant to be tied with smaller knots, like a half Windsor or a four in hand. If you prefer using the full Windsor, I'd suggest getting thinner ties. It's also all in how you tie your knot. Some people don't tighten their knots enough so the finished knot look huge.

As for the wrinkles NEVER send you tie to the dry cleaners. Either using the steamer setting on your iron (but never let the iron touch the tie!) or invest in a hand steamer. After steaming stretch the tie VERY gently vertically to help get it back to it's original shape. Also NEVER leave your ties knotted when your not wearing them. Always untie them properly before storing.

teacha.gif

Thank you both!

Is there a proper way to untie a tie? Never heard of that!

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BBdude
Thank you both!

Is there a proper way to untie a tie? Never heard of that!

Just untie it gently the way you tied it (going backwards).

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thicker ties (like your CT) are really meant to be tied with smaller knots, like a half Windsor or a four in hand. If you prefer using the full Windsor, I'd suggest getting thinner ties. It's also all in how you tie your knot. Some people don't tighten their knots enough so the finished knot look huge.

As for the wrinkles NEVER send you tie to the dry cleaners. Either using the steamer setting on your iron (but never let the iron touch the tie!) or invest in a hand steamer. After steaming stretch the tie VERY gently vertically to help get it back to it's original shape. Also NEVER leave your ties knotted when your not wearing them. Always untie them properly before storing.

teacha.gif

Great advice Charles. This man knows his ties!
worship.gif

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As for the wrinkles NEVER send you tie to the dry cleaners.

I know you should avoid dry cleaning as much as possible, but what if you have spilled something on your tie?

JacobJacob

Reaction score
Throw it out or use some lukewarm water and as little as possible/ mild detergent for dishwashing.

Cas Ruffin

Reaction score

teacha.gif

Yeah you should really get used to utilizing different knots for different ties. I remember Details talking about how Four-In-Hand is the only knot that you need to know, and I had a palm to forehead moment.

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kaplan
I know you should avoid dry cleaning as much as possible, but what if you have spilled something on your tie?

Don't spill anything on your tie.
smile.gif

I've actually found that Tide sticks work pretty well for this depending on the size of the stain.

zeta

Reaction score
I removed a stain from a tie once by spot-cleaning it with rubbing alcohol, only dabbing at it lightly, and making sure it didn't soak in too much in by periodically drying it with a blower. Though there might have been a faint mark left afterwards, it didn't matter since the tie had a mottled pattern.

Mr. Darcy

Reaction score
Of the 13 ways to tie a tie, there is bound to be one you like that works well. You can find them all here: http://totieatie.com Hope this helps you some. The shower thing works great by the way, had to do one the other day.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Darcy
Of the 13 ways to tie a tie, there is bound to be one you like that works well.

You can find them all here: http://totieatie.com

Hope this helps you some. The shower thing works great by the way, had to do one the other day.

Or for the other 72 ways try this
teacha.gif

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just untie it gently the way you tied it (going backwards).

Dont use my fathers favorite technique where he pulls and only lightens the torque up when he starts hearing threads snap. Good grief, I show the man, but he doesnt want to learn.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads