or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread - Page 755

post #11311 of 29261

Hey guys, long-time lurker, first-time poster, etc.smile.gif

I actually dropped Epaulet an email, but seems they are having one of those gonzo moments shog[1].gif, so I figured I might register and ask here.

First off, I'm ready to pull the trigger on clay chinos, but I wonder if this is the older chino cut. And if so, will I be safe aiming for the same waist size that my jeans have (rear waistband laid flat and doubled). And also to what amount can they be let in/out - only read about these aspects of the newer cut. I'm about 31.5, which is exactly equal to my jeans' measurement, so it seems I should grab 31 (and 32 is out of stock anyway). For now this is going to be my first purchase, so I can only build upon what I have. 

And another concern are shirts. I'm about 38.5 in the chest - so I guess medium is the way to go. Comparing the size chart with my own shirts' measurements I can see that the shoulders might be around 3/4" too broad each (I take that shoulder bone tip as an ideal), and the sleeves around 1" too long (btw, I'm 5'11", 155 lbs). Yeah, I'm working out, but not expecting my shoulders to grow that much in the nearest future smile.gif

Actually, at the very first page LA Guy chimed in with a similar body build, stating small could work as well (and I also like the slimness in the chest, but not to the "hulk action" point), but then I'd rather be on the safer side.

Sorry about asking this newbie stuff, this whole style thing is almost new to me smile.gif


Edited by neutrino - 4/10/12 at 11:59pm
post #11312 of 29261
Random question.

I got a small bleach stain on my British Khaki rivets. Any ideas on fabric dyes to get the small spots out? The stains are small dots, but stuff like this bothers me a lot, probably more than it should.
post #11313 of 29261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renalan View Post

Random question.
I got a small bleach stain on my British Khaki rivets. Any ideas on fabric dyes to get the small spots out? The stains are small dots, but stuff like this bothers me a lot, probably more than it should.

Dude, this is SF, this shit bothers all of us more than it should! Having said that, I have no idea how to answer your question. Sorry.

Plum Rivets today, love them with Navy Suede:
54feb1b0.jpg
ff2d6c3c.jpg
post #11314 of 29261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renalan View Post

Random question.
I got a small bleach stain on my British Khaki rivets. Any ideas on fabric dyes to get the small spots out? The stains are small dots, but stuff like this bothers me a lot, probably more than it should.

I agree with NYR that we all obsess about this stuff too much. The thing I remind myself is that these are just pants. These things add individual character. Every stain, snag, etc. is a story.
post #11315 of 29261
Embrace it Renalan, I think a new digi camo rivet is in the works, you just have an advance pair!
post #11316 of 29261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renalan View Post

Random question.
I got a small bleach stain on my British Khaki rivets. Any ideas on fabric dyes to get the small spots out? The stains are small dots, but stuff like this bothers me a lot, probably more than it should.

british khaki. maybe these pants are cursed. mine got a big ink stain on them. le sigh. not sure where you could find a dye that matches the pants. turn em into beaters and/or just roll with it.

on another topic, the two tone mocs I picked up on the sale arrived and they are awesome. Super comfy and awesome looking. i thought i wasn't going to like the crepe sole on them and that they would be too chunky, but in person they are great. I know mocs are more a fall alternative to boat shoes, but i don't have or ever plan to have boat shoes so i plan to rock these all summer long.
post #11317 of 29261
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger View Post

Dude, this is SF, this shit bothers all of us more than it should! Having said that, I have no idea how to answer your question. Sorry.
Plum Rivets today, love them with Navy Suede:
54feb1b0.jpg
ff2d6c3c.jpg

Nice! I didn't know navy suede shoes worked so well with the plum rivets. I will need to try this combo soon. Thanks for the idea!
post #11318 of 29261
So Mike, I crave your SS madras... Please tell me you've got me covered this year again smile.gif
post #11319 of 29261
Quote:
Originally Posted by oisin View Post

on another topic, the two tone mocs I picked up on the sale arrived and they are awesome. Super comfy and awesome looking. i thought i wasn't going to like the crepe sole on them and that they would be too chunky, but in person they are great. I know mocs are more a fall alternative to boat shoes, but i don't have or ever plan to have boat shoes so i plan to rock these all summer long.

Sounds like a plan. I feel a need for some honey crepe soled mocs. I think it is because honey crepe sounds delicious.
post #11320 of 29261
Quote:
Originally Posted by oisin View Post

british khaki. maybe these pants are cursed. mine got a big ink stain on them. le sigh. not sure where you could find a dye that matches the pants. turn em into beaters and/or just roll with it.
on another topic, the two tone mocs I picked up on the sale arrived and they are awesome. Super comfy and awesome looking. i thought i wasn't going to like the crepe sole on them and that they would be too chunky, but in person they are great. I know mocs are more a fall alternative to boat shoes, but i don't have or ever plan to have boat shoes so i plan to rock these all summer long.

Man how did you get yours so quick? Weather in Indiana dropped back to 40s-50s so it's been nice to get to wear shell but good to hear that they are nice. Was a bit worried it'd be too chunky as well
post #11321 of 29261

Just heard that my Epaulet delivery has arrived in Hong Kong right on time for my trip there tomorrow!I've got four pairs of trousers waiting for me (flannel lovat green, twill moss, and indigo-dyed striped linen walts, as well as the plum rivets) and they're all going to be killer  - appropriate enough as I'll be picking them up on Fri. 13th!

The team at Epaulet were really great in consolodating a couple of separate orders into one delivery whilst I sorted out a shipping address. Too bad I couldn't also pick up a pair of the gun-metal rivets in the last re-stock. Next time though ....
 

post #11322 of 29261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epaulet View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyVanBuren View Post

here's a fit I posted in WAYWT for feedback on whether this was a decent casual fit or too top/bottom incongruous... as expected it got some mixed results. but in any event, here I am wearing the navy hopsack blazer and blue OCBD along with some APCs and bucks
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
559x739px-LL-9406c783_IMG_1618.jpeg

 

 



I like this look quite a bit. I've seen plenty of guys wear the Caine successfully with jeans.

The jeans are nice and slim. They've got some wear on them and they're not totally dark indigo, which I think makes a great contrast to the jacket. Wearing a really dark raw jean might look too matched up to the Caine.

I agree with NYR on losing the tie clip. And with the cuffs rolled like that, I'd probably break out some colorful socks to have some punch.

But I like the jeans and blazer combo. I could see you pairing those jeans with a gingham cutaway shirt, no tie, and a pair of loafers - either with red or burgundy socks or no socks - and the fit kicking some serious ass. The jeans and blazer look is done horribly around 98% of the time, but when both pieces fit perfectly and really speak to one another, it's a great combo.

 

 


Thanks for the advice and I think you're right on this. I've never seen the "casual tie" thing really work, so I may just give up on that idea. A gingham shirt with no tie would work much better so I'll probably test that out soon. I also think you're right that dark raw jeans would look too matched to the blazer -- a number of people were suggesting this but it would look too much like a fake suit, I'm sure. I feel like my APCs are just now getting to the point where they are different in tone enough that I can try this look.

 

post #11323 of 29261
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyVanBuren View Post

I've never seen the "casual tie" thing really work, so I may just give up on that idea. A gingham shirt with no tie would work much better so I'll probably test that out soon. I also think you're right that dark raw jeans would look too matched to the blazer -- a number of people were suggesting this but it would look too much like a fake suit, I'm sure.


Agreed.

 

Although I tend to wear ties with Walts, they work with chinos as well. The tie itself, though, is best if it's on the casual side. If you wear a 4" wide diagonal stripe silk tie from wherever with rivet chinos, it'll look terrible. My Epaulet ties, though, all work well with chinos.

 

There's an awesome picture of Matt (leftofthedial) wearing denim, the red chambray shirt from last spring, and an Ashland tie, but I can't find it. It's an excellent example of the casual tie look if anyone can find it.

post #11324 of 29261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racing Green View Post

Got my navy canvas rivets let out an inch at the waist per Mike's advice. Fit is now perfect. As I said before I'm in denim 99% of the time but these are going to get one hell of a beating this summer.

Awesome, glad that you're enjoying them!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger View Post

Anything new dropping this week fellas?

Yes, got a couple things:

The two new Ashland shirts (summer plaid, pink gingham)
Our BIG-ASS Southwick Spring delivery (including the jackets that complete the Navy Super 120's and Loro Piana Tonal Glen Plaid suits)
About 96 pairs of Rivet Chinos. Not sure exactly what styles we're getting, but we should have them online Friday.

Carmina's and Marcello jackets are en-route now. After customs and whatnot, we should be in a position to launch them next week.

We also have a bunch of womens stuff going up. Adele designed a few NYC-made pieces to complement our existing shirts and shirt dresses. Quite a few guys regularly buy our women's items as gifts for their ladies, so might be something there for y'all.

And, here's some good stuff coming in two weeks. This is a cut pile from our next run of Regiment Twills:

333

You can see our new colors in there: Golden Brown, Royal Blue, Black, and Racing Green Twill. After that is Cloud, Moss, Khaki, Navy, and Gunmetal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana Cognac View Post

Got a shirting size question
My chest is roughly 39.5 - 40" I have fairly broad shoulders for my size.
I wear mediums in APC shirting Large in Rag and Bone and I have a few XL in BoO.
Given that info should I be looking to buy a medium in Epaulet or a large?

I'd definitely recommend a Large. I think that it's going to be a good fit - and most likely fit you better than both R&B and BoO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino View Post

Hey guys, long-time lurker, first-time poster, etc.smile.gif
I actually dropped Epaulet an email, but seems they are having one of those gonzo moments shog%5B1%5D.gif, so I figured I might register and ask here.
First off, I'm ready to pull the trigger on clay chinos, but I wonder if this is the older chino cut. And if so, will I be safe aiming for the same waist size that my jeans have (rear waistband laid flat and doubled). And also to
 what amount can they be let in/out - only read about these aspects of the newer cut. I'm about 31.5, which is exactly equal to my jeans' measurement, so it seems I should grab 31 (and 32 is out of stock anyway). For now this is going to be my first purchase, so I can only build upon what I have. 
And another concern are shirts. I'm about 38.5 in the chest - so I guess medium is the way to go. Comparing the size chart with my own shirts' measurements I can see that the shoulders might be around 3/4" too broad each (I take that shoulder bone tip as an ideal), and the sleeves around 1" too long (btw, I'm 5'11", 155 lbs). Yeah, I'm working out, but not expecting my shoulders to grow that much in the nearest future smile.gif
Actually, at the very first page LA Guy chimed in with a similar body build, stating small could work as well (and I also like the slimness in the chest, but not to the "hulk action" point), but then I'd rather be on the safer side.
Sorry about asking this newbie stuff, this whole style thing is almost new to me smile.gif

Thanks for posting the question! The clay chinos that we have are the original cut and design - with the metal tack buttons. I think getting a 31 will be safe for you. We can always get you into a different pair if they don't work.

In terms of shirts, I'm thinking Medium as well. Chances are you could do either, but there's a good possibility that the Small will be too small. If the Medium is big, I think that it will be by a very small degree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renalan View Post

Random question.
I got a small bleach stain on my British Khaki rivets. Any ideas on fabric dyes to get the small spots out? The stains are small dots, but stuff like this bothers me a lot, probably more than it should.

Ah man, that sucks!

There's no real way to take bleach out. I'd follow the other members' advice and just wear them as beater pants. Down the road you'll put some additional wear on them and you won't notice it so much. It's always terrible when a garment or shoe that you love gets a big stain, scratch, or mark, but these things tend to be less of a concern if you wear it a few times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger View Post

Dude, this is SF, this shit bothers all of us more than it should! Having said that, I have no idea how to answer your question. Sorry.
Plum Rivets today, love them with Navy Suede: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
54feb1b0.jpg
ff2d6c3c.jpg


Boo yaa. Tumbl'd that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by daev View Post

So Mike, I crave your SS madras... Please tell me you've got me covered this year again smile.gif

You bet! Probably get those in the next 6 weeks or so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekingman View Post

Just heard that my Epaulet delivery has arrived in Hong Kong right on time for my trip there tomorrow!I've got four pairs of trousers waiting for me (flannel lovat green, twill moss, and indigo-dyed striped linen walts, as well as the plum rivets) and they're all going to be killer  - appropriate enough as I'll be picking them up on Fri. 13th!

The team at Epaulet were really great in consolodating a couple of separate orders into one delivery whilst I sorted out a shipping address. Too bad I couldn't also pick up a pair of the gun-metal rivets in the last re-stock. Next time though ....

Ah fantastic, glad that it made it there safely. Thanks again!

And enjoy Hong Kong! That's one of my favorite cities to visit. I love it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyVanBuren View Post

Thanks for the advice and I think you're right on this. I've never seen the "casual tie" thing really work, so I may just give up on that idea. A gingham shirt with no tie would work much better so I'll probably test that out soon. I also think you're right that dark raw jeans would look too matched to the blazer -- a number of people were suggesting this but it would look too much like a fake suit, I'm sure. I feel like my APCs are just now getting to the point where they are different in tone enough that I can try this look.

There's pitfalls with both jeans. Pair your blazer with dark jeans and you're in danger of looking like a J.Crew mannequin. Pair them with distressed jeans and you're in danger of looking like Simon Cowell. It all depends on the fit and the other pieces that you incorporate into the look.

Generally, I like washed jeans with more tailored pieces like the Caine and Weller jackets. It's a nice contrast and a great way to make a dressier piece casual. I like really dark or raw denim with tweed and flannel jackets.

And I actually think that your tie fits that look just fine. For casual ties, I always recommend to stay away from shiny silk ties, but a item like the knit tie that you're wearing looks just fine.
post #11325 of 29261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epaulet View Post

About 96 pairs of Rivet Chinos. Not sure exactly what styles we're getting, but we should have them online Friday.
Carmina's and Marcello jackets are en-route now. After customs and whatnot, we should be in a position to launch them next week.

Very excited about the Carminas and to see these new jackets.

Will be looking to get a hold of a pair of the Rivets in my size in a good color.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread