or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Church's Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Church's Appreciation Thread - Page 15

post #211 of 378
I am looking for some Derby Shoes with a commando sole. Anyone had any exeprience with Churchs Newfield? I am reading lots of bad things about Church's quality!
post #212 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by ike_hiking_boots View Post

I am looking for some Derby Shoes with a commando sole. Anyone had any exeprience with Churchs Newfield? I am reading lots of bad things about Church's quality!

Church's makes excellent shoes. I have 4 pairs and I am very pleased with them. If you are willing to spend the money, I think you will find they are high quality and a good purchase decision.

 

There are a few people at SF (though they tend to post frequently) that seem to believe Church's has declined since Prada purchased them nearly 20 years ago. I'm not old enough or smart enough to compare shoe purchases from the late 1990s and 2016 in a side-by-side real world comparison, and feel that their feedback is unhelpful, even if there may be legitimate reasons from these passionate fans.

 

I personally think that a commando sole on a classic black dress shoe is a little difficult to look right. Perhaps a black scotch grain leather such at the Elland 2 model would look more natural with the commando sole.

post #213 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by ike_hiking_boots View Post

I am looking for some Derby Shoes with a commando sole. Anyone had any exeprience with Churchs Newfield? I am reading lots of bad things about Church's quality!

 

I have a pair of Shannon derbies  in black calf with rubber sole, not commando  and they are very comfortable. Perhaps one can get better construction for the price, but if you like the style and it fits with your aesthetic go for it!

post #214 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by ike_hiking_boots View Post

I am looking for some Derby Shoes with a commando sole. Anyone had any exeprience with Churchs Newfield? I am reading lots of bad things about Church's quality!

Classic Churchs "Custom Grade" (Chestwynd/Grafton/Diplomat/Consul/etc) are brilliant shoes, yesterday and today.  They are manufactured by Cheaney in England under the supervision of Mr. Church (the owner of that company that sold Church´s Shoes to Prada long ago).  

post #215 of 378
Hello, I am the happy owner of 5 pairs of Church's; they are very well made and will last forever. I can't talk from a aesthetic point of view because everybody has a opinion. I would stay away from non Custom Grade shoes, but that's me looking for shoes that will last a lot and won't go out of style. As someone said, they are the Mercedes Benz of shoes.
post #216 of 378
Zapasman, are you shure about that : "they are manufactured by Cheaney in England under the supervision of Mr. Church". I will appreciate more information. Best
post #217 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapasman View Post

Classic Churchs "Custom Grade" (Chestwynd/Grafton/Diplomat/Consul/etc) are brilliant shoes, yesterday and today.  They are manufactured by Cheaney in England under the supervision of Mr. Church (the owner of that company that sold Church´s Shoes to Prada long ago).  

So Church don't even have their own factory any longer in the UK?

I have to say I looked at the Church's website and I do not like the feeling I get from it, the art direction is Italian and it is completely out of place for what is a British brand with such a deep heritage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgofire View Post


I personally think that a commando sole on a classic black dress shoe is a little difficult to look right. Perhaps a black scotch grain leather such at the Elland 2 model would look more natural with the commando sole.

My question was specific to the Newfield.

Is Newfield really a dress shoe? It has a commando sole, have Church got this wrong?

Elland 2 is an ugly looking shoe IMHO.
post #218 of 378
church's uses a lot of polished leather. Corrected grain?

The betis collection is nice,
post #219 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by othertravel View Post

church's uses a lot of polished leather. Corrected grain?

The betis collection is nice,

They called it "Polished Binder".

I don't get why people are so upset with polished binder, and some even attributed it to cost cutting by Prada. Church's offered them pre the acquisition by Prada. In addition, it's not like they offer shoes only in polished binder. They actually provide a wider choice to consumers, some of whom would appreciate the easy upkeep of polished binder, as a previous post pointed out
post #220 of 378

No factory in UK sounds wrong.

post #221 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntory View Post
 

No factory in UK sounds wrong.

What do you mean?

I got my pair of Chukka boots labeled as Custom Grade - Made in England ..  !?

post #222 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUAN MANUEL View Post

Zapasman, are you shure about that : "they are manufactured by Cheaney in England under the supervision of Mr. Church". I will appreciate more information. Best

Yes I am.  

 

Polished Binder is a great corrected grain.  It comes from Picusa (Spain), one of the largest taneries in Europe.

post #223 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapasman View Post

Yes I am.  

Polished Binder is a great corrected grain.  It comes from Picusa (Spain), one of the largest taneries in Europe.

Well, I guess it comes down to whether you like full grain or corrected. Because if you don't like corrected grain, it doesn't matter if they use "great corrected grain". Often times, leather is corrected because the quality of the leather is so poor that it has to be buffed down.
post #224 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by othertravel View Post


Well, I guess it comes down to whether you like full grain or corrected. Because if you don't like corrected grain, it doesn't matter if they use "great corrected grain". Often times, leather is corrected because the quality of the leather is so poor that it has to be buffed down.

I have a pair of Grafton shoes and a pair of Ketsby boots both Polished Binder.  I use them for pub crawl and those kind of events:).  They need no much care at all (damp cloth and brush).  Both, leather and leather treatment (patent leather) are great.  Wrinkles are great.  You pay the price for that leather and that leather treatment (check the web site of Picusa). People say Churchs shoes are too expensive for what you get, but I am very please with my two pairs.

post #225 of 378
The Graftons are among my favorite pair of shoes and I have many pairs of shoes and boots by UK, Italian, French, US, and Bavarian makers. Church's custom grade line is top notch. Don't let anyone convince you otherwise. You may decide that you do not like some of their styles, but be assured the Custom Grade make is terrific.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Church's Appreciation Thread