or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Pre-folded Squares: Too gauche for words, or convenient sartorial statement?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pre-folded Squares: Too gauche for words, or convenient sartorial statement? - Page 3

post #31 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff View Post
I was at a black tie party and this one guy liked my pocket square fold. He was asked me how I managed it and before I could answer, he reached out and pulled it out of my jacket. Inwardly I was rolling my eyes. He then went on to tell me that he pre-folded all of his and kept them in a drawer, good to go. I asked him if he considered stapling them inside the welt pocket to save even more time.

Wow. Surreal.

Well, I've had friends who've asked me to tie their ties, and then keep them tied for months at a time because they were afraid they couldn't retie them. And these are folks who have to dress in formals on a regular basis, too.

It's scary stuff.
post #32 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlin View Post
Wow. Surreal.

Well, I've had friends who've asked me to tie their ties, and then keep them tied for months at a time because they were afraid they couldn't retie them. And these are folks who have to dress in formals on a regular basis, too.

It's scary stuff.

I've once been asked to tie a clip-on bowtie for a friend.....
post #33 of 56
post #34 of 56
part of the reason I use pocket squares is to have a handkerchief handy
post #35 of 56
This is just plain wrong...
post #36 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmanuel View Post
Same as wearing a clip-on tie.

I think it's worse than that. It's like wearing a button down shirt with a tie graphic printed on it.
post #37 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow View Post
I could see mens wearhouse stocking those. I don't think it's quite as bad as clip-on ties, but it's pretty close. I'd consider them suitable for small children and that's it.

I saw these on display at Moore's (the Canadian arm of Mens WearHouse). There's actually not even a pocket square, its a plastic card with tufts of material glued to the top to give the illusion there's hanky in your pocket.
post #38 of 56
What's next? Pre-tied shoes?
post #39 of 56
Send in your own square to be Pockerchief'd!!!!

post #40 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by chorse123 View Post
What's next? Pre-tied shoes?
I believe balmoral boots are the next step up
post #41 of 56
Gaudy as hell like clip-on ties, unless you happen to be a five-year old pimp. Besides, it's easier and cheaper to fold your own. Plus you can brag to your friends that you know how to fold a pocket square.
post #42 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classically View Post
you can brag to your friends that you know how to fold a pocket square.

+1....oh wait...
post #43 of 56
Part of me died inside.
post #44 of 56
A monstrous aberration.

An a slightly off-topic provocation: most looks are worsened by pocket squares, anyway. Except perhaps for linen squares in certain occasions, most pocket silks give the impression that the wearer is trying too hard. Especially if the wearer is under 40. One has to be a really proficient dresser to pull off a pocket square. Of course it's not weird if the Prince of Wales (who is 60) wears one, but most mortals look affected with silk sticking out of their breast pocket. Also notice that Agnelli hardly ever wore one, and in any even it was always white linen. \t
post #45 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by radicaldog View Post
A monstrous aberration. An a slightly off-topic provocation: most looks are worsened by pocket squares, anyway. Except perhaps for linen squares in certain occasions, most pocket silks give the impression that the wearer is trying too hard. Especially if the wearer is under 40. One has to be a really proficient dresser to pull off a pocket square. Of course it's not weird if the Prince of Wales (who is 60) wears one, but most mortals look affected with silk sticking out of their breast pocket. Also notice that Agnelli hardly ever wore one, and in any even it was always white linen. \t
What a preposterous cur! I find that a jacket without the adornment of a pocket square looks incomplete. It looks too plain, too pedestrian, too boring. I'm 23 and wear pockets squares most of the time when wearing a jacket. This includes work, formal events, and casual wear. To be fair most of my pocket squares are linen or cotton which I much prefer to silk on a day to day basis.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Pre-folded Squares: Too gauche for words, or convenient sartorial statement?