• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brooks Brothers vs. Hugo Boss Tuxedo. Need advice!!!

Reaction score
Hi all, I am asking for your expert advice on purchasing my first tuxedo for my wedding. I am considering the classic tux as defined in http://www.blacktieguide.com/Classic...nts/Jacket.htm. The tux is single breasted with peak lapels and single button. Nordstroms sells a black labelled Hugo Boss tux for $795 and made in Bulgaria. The Brooks Brothers equivalent http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...lt_color=Black is for almost the same price and made in the USA. Which one do you think constitutes a better overall tuxedo? BTW, I wear 42r, 34x32 pants and with broad shoulders and athletic chest. Either way, I am considering getting the wing-tipped shirt from BB in addition to the backless waistcoat and matching bow tie. Thanks
smile.gif

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the Brooks Brothers tux and am quite happy with it. Watch out for 1818 sales, I got mine for $500.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cogitoergosum81
Hi all,
I am considering getting the wing-tipped ****
Thanks
smile.gif

Interesting. I think you mean the BB wing collar. "Wing tip ****" usually refers to poorly made brogued shoes.
rimshot.gif

I would go with the BB. I believe it is made by Southwick.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KObalto
Interesting. I think you mean the BB wing collar. "Wing tip ****" usually refers to poorly made brogued shoes.
rimshot.gif

I would go with the BB. I believe it is made by Southwick.

You actually read his post?

It's called Peak Lapel, cogitoergosum81. By all means, please go into Brooks Brothers and ask for that "Wing tip ****" tux.
laugh.gif

Reaction score
It's alarming how a missing "r" can get people so excited. I was expecting a thorough comparison of the 2 brands. Instead, I got some immature comments and some coming from a member with an avatar of 2 girls making out.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cogitoergosum81
It's alarming how a missing "r" can get people so excited. I was expecting a thorough comparison of the 2 brands. Instead, I got some immature comments and some coming from a member with an avatar of 2 girls making out.
Awww, baby get his feelings hurt? Be a man, *****! It's called humor, if you can't take it, leave! I, nor anyone else here, has the inclination to deal with little bitches. I told you what to buy. Hugo Boss is crap. USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION until you know enough to speak man-talk. Read this recent thread, this guy grew a set quickly, can you?

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We need more members with avatars featuring hot chicks making out

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoeWoah
Awww, baby get his feelings hurt? Be a man, *****! It's called humor, if you can't take it, leave! I, nor anyone else here, has the inclination to deal with little bitches.

I told you what to buy. Hugo Boss is crap. USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION until you know enough to speak man-talk.

Read this recent thread, this guy grew a set quickly, can you?

I wonder what kind of man would use such vocabulary as "*****" and "*****" online. It is most certainly the typical cyberweb macho that spends his time ridiculing and insulting others to feel better about his pathetic life. Sad but true...

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey self-righteous asshole, go do some reading instead of asking to be spoonfed all the answers in life, you uppity prick.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
Hey self-righteous asshole, go do some reading instead of asking to be spoonfed all the answers in life, you uppity prick.

Who here is with me on grabbing some torches and pitch forks and taking out some sweet mob justice on Maxim for bringing these morons to our site?

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No ****? Is that the reason for the thousands of idiots over the last month? Was the sf reference online or in the mag?

Originally Posted by JoeWoah
Who here is with me on grabbing some torches and pitch forks and taking out some sweet mob justice on Maxim for bringing these morons to our site?

xpress

Reaction score
DVICE:

BOSS makes a great Tux.
They essentially have their tuxedo's set up to fit identically to the suits... So if you like a certain cut, they have a tuxedo for it.

Materials were above average for the BOSS black label.... Fits (as per usual for boss) is excellent, and construction is above average.

I would base decision on fit... the BB might have to be taken in considerably more then the BOSS... which should be considered

(A tux is something that I'm assuming wont be worn daily... Hence build quality should be considered, but not prioritized so much... So ignore the guys who tell you boss makes inferior product... they have no clue)

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sinatra would have never worn Boss.
Originally Posted by xpress
ADVICE: BOSS makes a great Tux. They essentially have their tuxedo's set up to fit identically to the suits... So if you like a certain cut, they have a tuxedo for it. Materials were above average for the BOSS black label.... Fits (as per usual for boss) is excellent, and construction is above average. I would base decision on fit... the BB might have to be taken in considerably more then the BOSS... which should be considered (A tux is something that I'm assuming wont be worn daily... Hence build quality should be considered, but not prioritized so much... So ignore the guys who tell you boss makes inferior product... they have no clue)

Reaction score
Originally Posted by xpress
ADVICE:

BOSS makes a great Tux.
They essentially have their tuxedo's set up to fit identically to the suits... So if you like a certain cut, they have a tuxedo for it.

Materials were above average for the BOSS black label.... Fits (as per usual for boss) is excellent, and construction is above average.

I would base decision on fit... the BB might have to be taken in considerably more then the BOSS... which should be considered

(A tux is something that I'm assuming wont be worn daily... Hence build quality should be considered, but not prioritized so much... So ignore the guys who tell you boss makes inferior product... they have no clue)

Thank you xpress for the constructive comments. I agree with you that fit is of utmost importance when it comes to formal attire. I have a Boss red label suit that fits very well. Unfortunately, I have yet to find a tuxedo from the same line.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely search. Your search will lead you to the conclusion that BB is better all the way around compared to Boss.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads