• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

milk: does a body terrible?

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so i was in sam's club today doing some bulk grocery shopping, and there was a woman selling a juicer next to the produce area. she had a loudspeaker and was doing a live demonstration, talking about how many ways to use this juicer. she then said just don't use dairy products with this, and when someone asked why, she said "because milk is for baby cows to grow strong, not people. people were never meant to drink milk and it can only do them harm in the long run." i really wasn't in a mood to engage her, but when i walked by she offered some of her juice for me to sample, so i politely told her that i wouldn't trust any drink being peddled by someone who basically refers to milk as poison. i know there is some debate about milk being for people or not, and lactose intolerance being one argument against, but as someone who drinks half a gallon of skim a day, i'm a fan and realize the benefits. so, any milk haters here, and if so what are your reasons? and fellow milk lovers, what do you say to the argument that milk isn't meant for human consumption?

Bring The Noise

Reaction score
hahahah whata ******* nutjob
milk has a very good macronutrient profile (skim)...i don't see the problem if you're not lacotse intolerant

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
for the amount of protein you get, milk has an awful lot of sugar.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've heard the silly argument that milk (or rather, milk advocacy) is racist because certain ethnic groups can't metabolize the calcium.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by js4design
what do you say to the argument that milk isn't meant for human consumption?

Generally I consider it a fairly silly arguement from most people I've heard it from, certain populations have been using milk since they domesticated cows with high enough frequency to spread the lactose tolerant trait. As long as your lactose tolerant you shouldn't have a problem drinking milk. People usually say something about how other adult mammals don't rely on milk. Well humans do a lot of things other mammals don't do, that fact alone doesn't make them good or bad.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
I've heard the silly argument that milk (or rather, milk advocacy) is racist because certain ethnic groups can't metabolize the calcium.

Some PETA groups have made that argument, they really need to think of better ways to spend their time.

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness

wow, that may be sillier than the argument i heard from the woman today...

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robertorex

+1. Nothing wrong with milk per se, except for the above fact. Cottage cheese is a much better dairy option IMO.

mgoose

Reaction score
+2

Milk has a relatively high amount of lactose sugar, but that being said, I still drink a fair bit of it. I use it with oatmeal every morning, in protein shakes, and it's a good way to add 10 grams of protein to a meal that's a bit short of it.

And if you are not consuming a ton of sugars through other methods I really don't see it being a huge deal.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
holymadness needs a litre of milk a day just to function. Maybe that's why these damn love handles won't quit.
teacha.gif

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robertorex

Nowhere hear the amount of sugar you get for the amount of protein provided in fruit juice
wink.gif

(I mention this only as it pertains to the content of the OP)

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gradstudent78
Some PETA groups have made that argument, they really need to think of better ways to spend their time.
I wouldn't limit this statement to merely milk.

jlluch

Reaction score
milk is horrible for you. it increases inflammation in the body, increases production of phlegm, and it has been linked to increases in cancer rates. i do not drink milk so i will tell you right away that i am biased towards not drinking milk. do the research for yourselves though. saying we've been drinking it for years so it's ok is as basic and hollow an argument as milk is meant for baby cows so humans shouldn't drink it. here is a good article that argues both sides: http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...icineandhealth

hamish5178

Reaction score
I do not drink milk (I am also a vegetarian, hate away). It tastes strange to me, leaves a funny aftertaste, and I hate the way it make my throat feel for singing, acting, public speaking, etc.

To open up a whole new can of worms, what about the BS "calcium" propganda?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads