or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › milk: does a body terrible?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

milk: does a body terrible?

post #1 of 145
Thread Starter 
so i was in sam's club today doing some bulk grocery shopping, and there was a woman selling a juicer next to the produce area. she had a loudspeaker and was doing a live demonstration, talking about how many ways to use this juicer. she then said just don't use dairy products with this, and when someone asked why, she said "because milk is for baby cows to grow strong, not people. people were never meant to drink milk and it can only do them harm in the long run." i really wasn't in a mood to engage her, but when i walked by she offered some of her juice for me to sample, so i politely told her that i wouldn't trust any drink being peddled by someone who basically refers to milk as poison. i know there is some debate about milk being for people or not, and lactose intolerance being one argument against, but as someone who drinks half a gallon of skim a day, i'm a fan and realize the benefits. so, any milk haters here, and if so what are your reasons? and fellow milk lovers, what do you say to the argument that milk isn't meant for human consumption?
post #2 of 145
hahahah whata fucking nutjob
milk has a very good macronutrient profile (skim)...i don't see the problem if you're not lacotse intolerant
post #3 of 145
for the amount of protein you get, milk has an awful lot of sugar.
post #4 of 145
I've heard the silly argument that milk (or rather, milk advocacy) is racist because certain ethnic groups can't metabolize the calcium.
post #5 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by js4design View Post
what do you say to the argument that milk isn't meant for human consumption?

Generally I consider it a fairly silly arguement from most people I've heard it from, certain populations have been using milk since they domesticated cows with high enough frequency to spread the lactose tolerant trait. As long as your lactose tolerant you shouldn't have a problem drinking milk. People usually say something about how other adult mammals don't rely on milk. Well humans do a lot of things other mammals don't do, that fact alone doesn't make them good or bad.
post #6 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
I've heard the silly argument that milk (or rather, milk advocacy) is racist because certain ethnic groups can't metabolize the calcium.

Some PETA groups have made that argument, they really need to think of better ways to spend their time.
post #7 of 145
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
I've heard the silly argument that milk (or rather, milk advocacy) is racist because certain ethnic groups can't metabolize the calcium.

wow, that may be sillier than the argument i heard from the woman today...
post #8 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertorex View Post
for the amount of protein you get, milk has an awful lot of sugar.

+1. Nothing wrong with milk per se, except for the above fact. Cottage cheese is a much better dairy option IMO.
post #9 of 145
+2 Milk has a relatively high amount of lactose sugar, but that being said, I still drink a fair bit of it. I use it with oatmeal every morning, in protein shakes, and it's a good way to add 10 grams of protein to a meal that's a bit short of it. And if you are not consuming a ton of sugars through other methods I really don't see it being a huge deal.
post #10 of 145
holymadness needs a litre of milk a day just to function. Maybe that's why these damn love handles won't quit.
post #11 of 145
Raw Milk FTW!
post #12 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertorex View Post
for the amount of protein you get, milk has an awful lot of sugar.

Nowhere hear the amount of sugar you get for the amount of protein provided in fruit juice

(I mention this only as it pertains to the content of the OP)
post #13 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradstudent78 View Post
Some PETA groups have made that argument, they really need to think of better ways to spend their time.
I wouldn't limit this statement to merely milk.
post #14 of 145
milk is horrible for you. it increases inflammation in the body, increases production of phlegm, and it has been linked to increases in cancer rates. i do not drink milk so i will tell you right away that i am biased towards not drinking milk. do the research for yourselves though. saying we've been drinking it for years so it's ok is as basic and hollow an argument as milk is meant for baby cows so humans shouldn't drink it. here is a good article that argues both sides: http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...icineandhealth
post #15 of 145
I do not drink milk (I am also a vegetarian, hate away). It tastes strange to me, leaves a funny aftertaste, and I hate the way it make my throat feel for singing, acting, public speaking, etc. To open up a whole new can of worms, what about the BS "calcium" propganda?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › milk: does a body terrible?