or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Which jeans would you choose?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Which jeans would you choose?

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 
It's my first pair of raw denim. I want these to last a long time and I dont like the over-faded look..I prefer subtler lines.

I like the pics of worn in PBJ XX-005 raw, Eternal 811, and Samurai S5000VX. I'm open to other thoughts.

My measurements on a favorite pair of jeans are:
Waist:32.5-33
Thigh: 12"
Front rise: 10.5"
Bottom: 9"

I don't want a pair of jeans that will give diminishing returns after 9 months of usage and I don't want tears...at least not for a long time.

Which would you chose given my preferences?
post #2 of 25
are you kidding me???

get some Crate or APC.

when you bought your firstt car was it a rolls royce??? You don't need to go striaght to the top.
dry denim might not be for you and then you are stuck with an expensive jean you will never wear.
Crate makes a banging product for a great price.
Listen to me son and you will be fine.

Mauro
post #3 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglaw View Post
I want these to last a long time and I dont like the over-faded look..I prefer subtler lines.

Iron Heart 634S Straight Selvedge
http://www.selfedge.com/shop/index.p...roducts_id=205
post #4 of 25
Mauro makes a good point, but the jeans the OP listed are rather safe as far as the world of dry denim goes. I think you definitely want some raw denim experience before getting something like crazy fading flat heads or some of the 21 oz super heavy stuff from Iron Heart or Samurai, or the super streaky jeans that some brands have. Those are the kind of jeans that don't really appeal to everyone and could very well just sit in your closet if you don't like them. Between the three original choices I would pick the eternals, but I would do your wallet a favor first and get a pair of crates. APCs are the "standard" for a reason but I'm noticing that a lot of hipsters and shit wear them now so you probably want to try something different. unless you're a hipster.
post #5 of 25
Thread Starter 
Thanks, yeah I'm definitely not a hipster. More of a preppy if anything...but I wouldn't put an exact label on my style.

The money isn't a huge issue. I was eyeing the Eternals the most, which really aren't that much more than Crates. I don't want to spend money for no reason...but it seems that the eternals will likely last longer than crates. Am I wrong with this assumption?

My line of thinking is this: I'd rather spend a little extra money for a pair of jeans that will last. You're right, I may not like the dry denim, but it seems like it will be a pain in the ass to break in a new pair after I figure out that I do like them when I could have just done it right the first time.
post #6 of 25
mauro,
NO!

this guy needs to buy top of the line PBJ's so when he gets tired of them he flips them ultra cheap on the B&S and I can buy them.

otherwise I am gonna have to sell a kidney or 20 pints of plasma.
post #7 of 25
I have no personal experience with Crate denim, but it looks like a good value. I'd say get the Eternals or Crates.
post #8 of 25
^^lol

You are wrong to assume younglaw. Crate is one of the best jeans made specially for the price.
Don't be caught up thinking because it's made in Japan it's amazing or won't fall apart.
Best,
mauro
post #9 of 25
Thread Starter 
I'll consider a pair of crates...looks like I'll need to try to find some pictures of ones that are worn in, which pair would you recommend, given my taste/size?
post #10 of 25
go to the crate thread or Sercert service web site and call the store.
Chad the designer/owner is there right now.
He is a cool cat and you will learn a lot.
Best,
mauro
post #11 of 25
heres a link to a pair in the post your denim thread. look good, great vertical fades. http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...postcount=3803
post #12 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglaw View Post
It's my first pair of raw denim. I want these to last a long time and I dont like the over-faded look..I prefer subtler lines.

I like the pics of worn in PBJ XX-005 raw, Eternal 811, and Samurai S5000VX. I'm open to other thoughts.

My measurements on a favorite pair of jeans are:
Waist:32.5-33
Thigh: 12"
Front rise: 10.5"
Bottom: 9"

I don't want a pair of jeans that will give diminishing returns after 9 months of usage and I don't want tears...at least not for a long time.

Which would you chose given my preferences?

Your list of those three particularly fine jeans tells me that you've done careful research - these are the workhorses of their respective brands. Fine jeans each, very wearable (modern cuts, classic 501 vernacular).

Flip a coin, you'd be doing great with any of those - the only thing I would recommend is that if you choose the Eternal, try and get it in an unwashed (dry) pair, rather than the frequent one-wash state that it is often sold in.

Dry - because you may as well go the whole hog and get the entire shrink-to-fit experience.

I'm slightly envious. You're going to partake in a ritual that may open your eyes to a new appreciation for denim. Savour your experience. Everything. From estimating your size (they should almost fit you, with room for a few fingers between your waist and the waistband), the soak - the smell of the starch and the colour release, first yellow then bluey-green. The leg seams twisting before your eyes, and the curl of the hems and the water releases the tension held by the starch laden warp yarns. Putting them on damp, the crisp stiffness. Then comes the wear.

Enjoy the journey.
post #13 of 25
I'd recommend the Eternals, but I'm biased because that is going to be my next pair. The Iron Heart recommendation was also a good one...those jeans will last you a lifetime.
post #14 of 25
Thread Starter 
I've considered the Crates and like the finished product of the jeans I listed better, so I'm going to chose of them.

From the sizing listed it seems that PBJs are fairly tight in the crotch, eternals are in between and samurais are looser. I'm leaning more and more towards the eternal. I don't like my boys being crowded..but also don't want a saggy crotch.
post #15 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringring View Post
Your list of those three particularly fine jeans tells me that you've done careful research - these are the workhorses of their respective brands. Fine jeans each, very wearable (modern cuts, classic 501 vernacular).

Flip a coin, you'd be doing great with any of those - the only thing I would recommend is that if you choose the Eternal, try and get it in an unwashed (dry) pair, rather than the frequent one-wash state that it is often sold in.

Dry - because you may as well go the whole hog and get the entire shrink-to-fit experience.

I'm slightly envious. You're going to partake in a ritual that may open your eyes to a new appreciation for denim. Savour your experience. Everything. From estimating your size (they should almost fit you, with room for a few fingers between your waist and the waistband), the soak - the smell of the starch and the colour release, first yellow then bluey-green. The leg seams twisting before your eyes, and the curl of the hems and the water releases the tension held by the starch laden warp yarns. Putting them on damp, the crisp stiffness. Then comes the wear.

Enjoy the journey.



You should write for penthouse.


P.S Wow a ringring post.


Quote:

\tI've considered the Crates and like the finished product of the jeans I listed better, so I'm going to chose of them.

From the sizing listed it seems that PBJs are fairly tight in the crotch, eternals are in between and samurais are looser. I'm leaning more and more towards the eternal. I don't like my boys being crowded..but also don't want a saggy crotch.


Good. Starting off with starter denim is not going to help you with anything. My first denims were APCs and I don't even wear them. Anyway, it isn't your first car, it isn't your first musical instrument , it's just denim.

Recheck your initial stats. None of your jeans have a 9" hem, which is pretty big. The 005 is very slim and the eternal is not far behind. Assuming you are a size 32, both jeans will have hems that are more or less 8". The samurai is 8.5", which is pretty versatile. The rise is low on the 005 and 10.5 on the samurai VX. The eternal Im not sure.

If you are not used to slim jeans and just want some nice straight legged jeans, the VX is the way to go. It is the one I would choose. I'm wearing a similar pair of samurai's right now (5000BK) and I like them.

You might also be interested in the new contest jeans at Selfedge.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Which jeans would you choose?