• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My tailoring adventure - part 5

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Well hope this isnt getting boring for you all, but for those of you still awake, I can report that we are definitely getting there.... Chuong dropped this off this afternoon, and it's on its way, he has probably skipped a little further ahead than I would have liked him to. I personally suspect he never wants to see it again, but he's not getting off that easily. The major issues from the previous fitting have been somewhat addressed, needing some further adjustment to satisfaction from here. Pants are still a little long, back balance still out of whack. Seems to have sorted out the issue at the front, which was my major concern from the previous fitting. Anyhow, as Ive said, this one is a learning experience for the next two, and I think he's doing OK. To the pics...
42frontfull2rp.jpg
44frontopen3om.jpg
43frontupper5pi.jpg
49back6db.jpg
I think he has basically got the front balance ok, taken care of the front drop shoulder issue Darren highlighted in his post on AA from an earlier thread. However, the right rear shoulder looks to me as though it is bigger than the left - the major remaining issue as I see it. Im a little concerned that it doesnt appear to be falling straight - see here how (in both front and back) the vertical center of the jacket seems to be twisting itself to the left on the front view, right on the rear view. Is this because it is overcompensating for the mess at the right rear shoulder, throwing the balance off all round?
45leftfront454ry.jpg
46leftside2jf.jpg
47leftsidearmup5cw.jpg
48backl457if.jpg
53rightfront453dj.jpg
51rightside0vi.jpg
52rightsidearmup7iq.jpg
50backr452jf.jpg
What do you guys think of the sleeves? ok or a little too short? Have Photoshopped the sleeve pic to highlight the pattern matching - so the color is distorted. Compared to a few others in my closet and I think he has done OK, pretty well considering the fact this has been pulled to bits a few times now after. Sleeve buttons are too far apart here, not much I can do about that other than warn him for next time. Price I pay for being the first person to ever ask him for it I suppose. I can live with it.
54pattern9vr.jpg
55sleevebuttons9ig.jpg
Anyhow, I suspect (hope.) this is the second to last post in this series, so thank you all again for your assistance, and look forward to whatever suggestions you can offer at this stage. I take off for Hanoi tomorrow morning and will be up there for the rest of the week, so I wont be able to give this back to him until Saturday at best, so seems like I am about a week, 10 days away from delivery. Matt

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is such pretty fabric. Too bad it was placed in the hands of such a brute. Have you revealed the source of that fabric already? Nice.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Hi

This cloth was purchased on eBay from a seller called how6955 in Leeds.

I believe it is a mill offcut - I purchased 3.5 meters of it for 40 GBP - he has a lot of cloth at these kind of prices, taking advantage of his proximity to the Yorkshire mills - I purchased 3 different lengths all in the price range of 12-20 GBP per meter.

This one is 97% super 130 and 3% cashmere blend.

This seller is on vacation until May 5, but check out his auctions on his return.

Matt

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi

This cloth was purchased on eBay from a seller called how6955 in Leeds.  

I believe it is a mill offcut - I purchased 3.5 meters of it for 40 GBP - he has a lot of cloth at these kind of prices, taking advantage of his proximity to the Yorkshire mills - I purchased 3 different lengths all in the price range of 12-20 GBP per meter.

This one is 97% super 130 and 3% cashmere blend.

This seller is on vacation until May 5, but check out his auctions on his return.

Matt
Matt, will do. Thanks for the response. And, again, that is a brilliant cloth. I rarely see something that really strikes me.

I imagine the cloth has a soft hand. To what else would you compare it?

John

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Looks not bad. Certainly, you're getting decent value.

For this round, I'd look at the left elbow. Is that lying OK, and if not is it the cut or the pressing job?

For next time, the jacket looks perhaps a shade long---not a lot. Nothing seriously wrong with now, but could be different and still OK. See how this feels when you wear it. Related to this, the flap pockets look to be a little low. Again, this is a fine-tuning issue, and will be easier now that you've all done it once.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is still that weird pleat on the back, near the right armhole. The pockets could have been a bit higher. This is otherwise pretty decent, and I like the fabric a lot.
How much did the suit cost?

luc

Patrick Bateman

Reaction score
Looking good, m@t.. I'm really enjoying this series.

The sleeve buttons look fine to me. Some people say they're supposed to kiss, but I honestly don't see why that's required. Plenty of crappy fused jackets at BR and H&M have kissing sleeve buttons. Having this feature doesn't make a poorly constructed jacket good. And lacking this feature doesn't make an otherwise well-made jacket bad. At least in my opinion.

Is it just me, or are the jacket pockets just a *hair* too low? It may be the angle of the photos, but how do others feel?

EDIT: I still think this looks awfully good for a first suit with this tailor. Just imagine how nice your third or fourth suit is going to look. (Assuming he's willing to put up with such an exacting customer..)

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the sleeves look very nice. They have a nice taper.

Pants definitely need shortening.

I would get the waist suppressed. Especially going by the back shot, it looks like the silhouette is quite boxy and there is a lot of extra fabric in there. But, if that's the sillhouette you are looking for, it's all good.

Enjoy.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
what the hell, Ill play my cost card now....

What would you guys say to $140 all told? Cloth, shipping, taxes, workmanship....

Patrick Bateman

Reaction score
At those prices, are you going to get a lot more suits from this guy?? You could be like his "patron".

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What would you guys say to $140 all told? Cloth, shipping, taxes, workmanship....
beats Today's Man.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I choked on the water I was drinking. Beautiful fabric and I think you'll have a very nice suit when all's done.

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree, nice fabric you got me checking ebay right now but i don't see anything that nice yet. And for $140? Thats crazy.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At those prices, you could take the thing to a reputable tailor, have it fixed, and still come out on top.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads