or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Sub Zero Refrigerators
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sub Zero Refrigerators - Page 5

post #61 of 94
I want a SMEG, are these decent refrigerators... or just pretty refrigerators. For a person living in a basic house only needing a fridge for 2 people worth of groceries and bottled beverages would something along these lines suffice?

I want the design of an older fridge but the compressors are awful about going out from what I hear, and you spend an un-godly ammount operating them.

I almost bought a vintage GE fridge (don't know model number etc) that my college used to store frogs and fetal pigs for 35$ I should have gotten it... but at the time I couldn't afford storage.

those are my fridge related stories... if there is a more brand specific fridge thread I apologize in advance for posting stuff that is pretty much O/T
post #62 of 94
We have had a Sub-Zero for about 8 years now. Nicely designed, and does keep the food cold the way it is supposed to.

We did have a problem with the ice-maker. Basically, water over-filled the cube trays, and turned the whole unit into a block of ice.

Also, the rubber insulation strip peeled off the bottom of one of the doors. It's fixed now, but it was kind of a pain.
post #63 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshcutgrass View Post
Yea...insulting me over fridge opinions seems reasonable (sigh).

I don't think there is anything wrong with a Sub Zero itself...it's just the taint it has by holding such a holy place in yuppy lore that turns me off.

Look out, freshie, you can get run out of T.O. for trashing yuppies ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJman View Post
In the quote below, replace every noun with "penis" and every descriptor with "bigger".

Quote:
Originally Posted by satorstyle
You could use either in a commercial kitchen setting where large food production is required
(production level performance) people who enjoy cooking often want the professional quality items in their homes. Most times it's the status of ownership, sometimes they get the use in which they were intended. Commercial quality is what is. Every home fridge is not manufactured to handle the rigors of commercial use.

OK, RJman, let's try that out:

You could use either in a bigger penis penis where bigger penis penis is required (bigger bigger penis) penises who enjoy cooking often want the bigger penises in their penises. Most times it's the penis of penis, sometimes they get the penis in which they were intended. Bigger penis is what is. Every bigger penis is not manufactured to handle the penis of bigger penis.

While I accept your premise (ie. that this thread is a status-wank), the instructions leave something to be desired -- you were better served to restrict the substitution of "penis" for objects only, not all nouns and gerunds.
post #64 of 94
Yea - this just sounds like another failed SNL skit. Something with Paul Rudd maybe.
post #65 of 94
Quote:
Look out, freshie, you can get run out of T.O. for trashing yuppies ...

Your 905 style Toronto jabs are far too often and lame to be of any effective value. Please give the insults the effort they deserve, or they will surely backfire.
post #66 of 94
We put in a Sub Zero BI-42SD into our new home in the main kitchen area (dirty kitchen gets 2 not SZs).

1- It looks nice.
2- My wife said it looks nice.
3- Int/Kitchen designer said it looks nice.
4- Improves resale as it looks nice.

I have no clue why we put in a Sub Zero, but i guess it looks nice. Oh, and the water thru the door is chilled!!

Regards.
post #67 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshcutgrass View Post
Your 905 style Toronto jabs are far too often and lame to be of any effective value. Please give the insults the effort they deserve, or they will surely backfire.

That wasn't an insult.
post #68 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by eg1 View Post
That wasn't an insult.

But was it meant to be historically accurate?
post #69 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post
But was it meant to be historically accurate?

Is the present still history?
post #70 of 94
We looked at Subs when we renovated our kitchen but we heard some terrible horror stories from our appliance guy. Essentially the word on the street is that the new subs are not built as well as the older ones. Also, it's a crapshoot with these units. Either you get one that won't have any problems, or you will get one that will constantly need to be serviced. I hate dealing with repairs so we went with a Liebherr built in and couldn't be happier. It's energy efficient, looks great, has dual compressors, and keeps the food fresh as can be. The brand is much bigger in europe, but they are finally gaining a bit of a following in the states now.
post #71 of 94
I get the love for nicely constructed things. But I don't get all the praise for Sub-Zero refrigerators keeping food cool. I didn't grow up with a fancy fridge, yet I never wondered if my apple juice was going to keep cold or if my popsicles were going to stay frozen.

It seems like saying: "My Ferrari is great. Its wheels turn and get me moving forward."
post #72 of 94
For someone who spends good money on finely constructed garments, made with expensive fabrics, or on fine wristwatches, which accuracy is lower than a cheap quartz, it seems curious that you would keep coming back to this statement. They're made well, with better components and materials, the performance is higher but - as you say - most wouldn't notice with normal use, they look better (subjective/debatable), and for some they're a status item or something that adds to the home's resale value. There isn't much more to get.
post #73 of 94
They are very quiet, and they look nice.
post #74 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post
For someone who spends good money on finely constructed garments, made with expensive fabrics, or on fine wristwatches, which accuracy is lower than a cheap quartz, it seems curious that you would keep coming back to this statement. They're made well, with better components and materials, the performance is higher but - as you say - most wouldn't notice with normal use, they look better (subjective/debatable), and for some they're a status item or something that adds to the home's resale value. There isn't much more to get.

Like I said, I can understand and value something being made more sturdy and being better finished. And, of course, looks matter. It just seems odd to applaud a Sub Zero for doing exactly what any regular refrigerator will do: keeping things cold.

It would be like me saying that the IWC Portuguese is my favorite watch because it keeps time, or Rubinacci is my favorite tailor because the clothes keep me from being naked.

I don't mean to dismiss the less tangible qualities a Sub Zero refrigerator might have. All steel construction sounds cool.
post #75 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post
Like I said, I can understand and value something being made more sturdy and being better finished. And, of course, looks matter. It just seems odd to applaud a Sub Zero for doing exactly what any regular refrigerator will do: keeping things cold.

It would be like me saying that the IWC Portuguese is my favorite watch because it keeps time, or Rubinacci is my favorite tailor because the clothes keep me from being naked.

I don't mean to dismiss the less tangible qualities a Sub Zero refrigerator might have. All steel construction sounds cool.

I hear you but they DO keep cold better than lower performance fridges. If you've ever filled a fridge completely after a large grocery shopping spree, you would know that the temperature can take a while to come down after you load it. My experience with my SZ (which I assume is similar to other "better" fridges) is that, when you do this or leave the door open often, it will get back to the right temperature faster and consistently. It's a fairly marginal benefit I agree.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Sub Zero Refrigerators