or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Howard Yount: Affiliate thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Howard Yount: Affiliate thread - Page 261

post #3901 of 4742
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclesam099 View Post

Tiebar's stuff is exactly what you pay for it - $15 tie. They wrinkle and stay that way. Stay away.

While I've certainly moved on to better quality ties, I purchased some from The Tie Bar a couple years ago while I was still in college and beginning to take a serious interest in menswear and improving my wardrobe. I'd say the ties were a good deal for the price, and equal in quality to mid-tier department store ties that retail for $40-$50. I had no issue with my Tie Bar ties wrinkling excessively. My experience with their ties was limited, though. I only purchased a few (textured silk, grenafaux, silk/wool blend) and parted with them fairly quickly as I was able to make the leap to higher quality. Still, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to someone who doesn't wear ties often and needs to pick up a few wardrobe staples without breaking the bank, which was exactly the situation I was in a couple years ago.

Anyway, back on topic: I've never purchased a HY tie but they've got some absolutely beautiful offerings, especially the raw silks. But I'll echo the above complaint about them being available only in such a slim width. ffffuuuu.gif
Edited by Flyswatter - 11/5/13 at 7:30pm
post #3902 of 4742

Hi Gents,

 

Could I trouble some with a couple of questions about Howard's sweater?

 

I am looking at his lambswool sweaters which look nice in the pictures.

 

What is their quality say versus Brooks Brothers?  

 

How does their sizing run?  For reference a Brooks Brothers Large is way too long in the sleeves for me while a J. Lindeberg large works about right.

 

Thanks

post #3903 of 4742
I only have one cotton/silk blend sweater from BB versus one lambswool sweater from HY, so not exactly comparing apples to appples, but I feel confident saying my HY sweater is of a higher quality than those I've handled at BB that retail for a comparable amount. As far as sizing, sounds like you might want to try a M in HY.
post #3904 of 4742

Thanks.  ^^^

post #3905 of 4742

Couple questions on Howard's trousers, too.

 

Any idea on their rise?  I am around a 36" waist and need about a 9.5" rise.  The 11"+ rises just dont work.

 

Also, any sense of how slim the cut is?  I have broad thighs which can be a challenge.  Paul Stuart works but Black Fleece doesnt.

 

Lastly, how does their quality compare with say Paul Stuart, Black Fleece....?

 

Thanks

post #3906 of 4742

Dude, 130 pages of this stuff. Search in the thread. 

post #3907 of 4742
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxtwoforty View Post

Dude, 130 pages of this stuff. Search in the thread. 

And go to HY's website, the measurements are all there....
post #3908 of 4742
You can order multiple sizes and return the one that doesnt work.
post #3909 of 4742

Anyone own the cognac pebble grain boots and have thoughts and pictures they would like to share?  If you own them, did you size down?  Looks like a pretty good sale price.

post #3910 of 4742

I don't own those boots, but I did buy the suede chukka boot before it sold out.  It was also made in Spain with the recommendation to size down.  I typically wear 9E or 9.5D, and the size 9 HY boot fits perfectly.

post #3911 of 4742
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordjeebus View Post

I don't own those boots, but I did buy the suede chukka boot before it sold out.  It was also made in Spain with the recommendation to size down.  I typically wear 9E or 9.5D, and the size 9 HY boot fits perfectly.


Thanks. I'm typically an 8D, so I wonder if those remaining 8D boots would be too large. I sent Howard a message through the site a few days ago, so maybe he'll chime in.
post #3912 of 4742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Clemson View Post

Thanks. I'm typically an 8D, so I wonder if those remaining 8D boots would be too large. I sent Howard a message through the site a few days ago, so maybe he'll chime in.

Howard will chime in no sooner than Sam (Hober) will if you're buying ties from that company.

Jamison however might answer.

Edit: Sorry, that may have been a bit snarky. "Howard" is not the proprietor of Howard Yount.
post #3913 of 4742
Haha, I had a brain fart for sure. I meant Jamison.
post #3914 of 4742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Clemson View Post
 

Anyone own the cognac pebble grain boots and have thoughts and pictures they would like to share?  If you own them, did you size down?  Looks like a pretty good sale price.

 

I sized down a half size and they fit perfectly. I know Unipair Guy owns a pair as well and sized down. Unipair's cobbler was impressed with the shoe.

 

Definitely buy them.

post #3915 of 4742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post




I sized down a half size and they fit perfectly. I know Unipair Guy owns a pair as well and sized down. Unipair's cobbler was impressed with the shoe.

Definitely buy them.

Looking good man. I want to get them, but I'll have to wear thick socks and/or include an insert if they run small (8D left and that's my true size). Do you know if Jamison accepts returns on sale items? If so, I may try them. I have about four trousers from him, but I've never had to return or exchange.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Howard Yount: Affiliate thread