• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Razor that minimizes razor bumps?

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On an old episode of Queer Eye the Fab Five once mentioned that some company makes a razor especially for African-American men. They didn't reveal its name, and I don't recall if they said who made it. All they said was, it's designed so that it doesn't cut quite as close as a standard razor, which helps prevent razor bumps.

I've done some searching but can't find it on the Web. Does anyone know what it's called or where I can find one?

Kique

Reaction score
Sounds like Bump Fighter, I see them at Walgreens/CVS.

blackdarkeye

Reaction score
i never understood this but how do people get razor bumps? i have never gotten them

CoconutBanana

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackdarkeye
i never understood this but how do people get razor bumps? i have never gotten them

Black men tend to get them it has something to do with the way our hair is. I had the problem for years. In order for me not to get them I have to use 3 different types of acid on my face everyday and I still get light breakouts its a real pain **********.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use disposable razors and never get them. I shave IN the shower which helps, and keep your face moisturized.

Jack2000

Reaction score
White guy here who suffers from razor bumps. If your beard is curly then sometimes the hairs turn and grow back into the skin. I switched to an old school single blade merkur. Good blades and good prep= no more razor bumps for me. The mach 3's and other razors shave so close that you end up forcing the hair under the skin and you get more bumps if that makes sense. You can read a lot about the art of wet shaving at forums like badger and blade.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm convinced that expensive razors are a complete rip off.

I buy disposable ones (2 bladed) at the grocery store and use them once. They shave just as good, if not better, and it's MUCH cheaper. I've tested out many razors, and done the price comparisons per use. I'll never go back to the expensive blades.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Have you tried a badger hair shaving brush? I had a lot of trouble with nicks and cuts until I started using a brush. It takes a bit longer to shave, but it's worth every second for the vast improvement in shave comfort/quality. I'm a white guy, but I would think the same improvement would occur for an African-American guy too. Supposedly brushes help lift the hair, making it easier to shave without cuts. I also use pre-shave oil and good cream, and they help a lot, but nothing has ever improved my shave as much as buying a brush.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kique
Sounds like Bump Fighter, I see them at Walgreens/CVS.
I think that's the one. Thanks, Kique.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i get it bad with a regular blade. Ive done the prep and it helps little. The shower does ok. Its mainly on my neck on either side of the throat. Its embarassing.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
90% of black dermatologists recommend bump guard.

jhdas

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jack2000
White guy here who suffers from razor bumps. If your beard is curly then sometimes the hairs turn and grow back into the skin. I switched to an old school single blade merkur. Good blades and good prep= no more razor bumps for me. The mach 3's and other razors shave so close that you end up forcing the hair under the skin and you get more bumps if that makes sense. You can read a lot about the art of wet shaving at forums like badger and blade.

+1 Get a good badger hair brush, some nice shaving cream or soap, and a good old safety razor (or, if you're up for the challenge, a straight razor, which is more fun and more badass).

epb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threadbearer
I think that's the one. Thanks, Kique.

Our hair is curly and coarse, so a close shave increases the possibility of cutting the hair below the skin, where it can turn back and create a bump as it grows. I tried the Bump Fighter - maybe it helped, I didn't notice in he short time I used it, but it didn't remove hair worth a damn. I aways felt like I had a 5 o'clock shadow immediately after shaving. My best results came from going heavy on moisturizing my skin (after showering, good lather) and going easy with the razor, preferably double-blade.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads