• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do restaurants serve bread..?

Bouji

Reaction score
It seems like this is expected and never questioned.

In certain cases I can see the reason,

Central/South Asian cuisine- Unless you're eating rice, that is what the food is eaten with; unlike western cuisine, in these cuisines its used 'to scoop it up', not accompany.
Italian cuisine - If you don't have a 'primi' then the meal can lack carbs and not be filling.

As far as French/British/American/Spanish/German/Fusion/Haute/whatever cuisine goes, I really cannot understand the concept of bread...

auto90403

Reaction score
I don't follow.

Are you suggesting that bread is somehow not central to European cuisines?

"Give us this day our daily bread" -- that ring a bell?

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by auto90403
I don't follow.

Are you suggesting that bread is somehow not central to European cuisines?

No, is that from an Anne Rice novel?

Bouji

Reaction score
Originally Posted by auto90403
I don't follow. Are you suggesting that bread is somehow not central to European cuisines?
No, I am asking why restaurants serve it. Re-read question...
So what? 1. You use a Christian-centric quote, when in fact most of modern western Europe is atheist with the exception of Italy, which I'm ignoring for this question anyway. 2. When you cook at home, do you serve bread 15 minutes before the first course is ready?

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's to give those people who do not order appetizers something to do while they wait for food. Otherwise, they might be up in arms when the food doesn't arrive quickly.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I enjoy eating bread with my meal, unless it's pasta, risotto or some starch-based meal. What I dislike a little is when people throw themselves on the bread basket and eat two rolls covered with butter before the appetizers come out. Not sure why it bugs me but I find that both distasteful and opposite to the objective of going to a restaurant to enjoy a good meal (I can get bread and cheap butter anywhere - why fill myself up with that stuff?)

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I enjoy eating bread with my meal, unless it's pasta, risotto or some starch-based meal. What I dislike a little is when people throw themselves on the bread basket and eat two rolls covered with butter before the appetizers come out. Not sure why it bugs me but I find that both distasteful and opposite to the objective of going to a restaurant to enjoy a good meal (I can get bread and cheap butter anywhere - why fill myself up with that stuff?)
****. I agree. Though I like eating bread with seafood pastas, for some reason.

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What if the restaurant has amazing bread service and great butter? I sometimes eat too much bread cuz it's too damn good...

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cchen
What if the restaurant has amazing bread service and great butter? I sometimes eat too much bread cuz it's too damn good...
Good point. E.g. the rolls at Blue Hill @ SB are so delicious that I could eat those in lieu of an appetizer
smile.gif

However, I very rarely encounter bread that's so good that it would make sense to fill up on it. Nothing I hate more than being too full for dessert - that's a real crime.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Originally Posted by iammatt

I agree for the most part. But I do remember eating at particularly good Italian restaurants where they served fresh baked bread and a nice dipping sauce or olive oil--sometimes you just can't help yourself. Good food is good food, regardless whether it's bread, app, main, or dessert.

lbcgav

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt

Barbarian!

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More perceived value for your money, Americans (and maybe Europeans) expect to have some kind of bread with any meal (toast with breakfast, a sandwich for lunch, etc..), fills you up so you're guaranteed not to leave hungry.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting observation. It's something that's just done and not questioned, I guess.

If they stop serving bread would people order more food?

How about stop serving water and make you buy drinks?

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
Interesting observation. It's something that's just done and not questioned, I guess. If they stop serving bread would people order more food? How about stop serving water and make you buy drinks?
Here's my rule: if the bread is bad, don't serve it unless asked. I don't want to eat crappy bread at a restaurant. Speaking of which, this chinese/cuban place that I frequent always gives me supermarket french bread, even for takeouts. Now, I understand that bread goes with some of the cuban dishes. But, bread and stir fry gai lan in oyster sauce? Bizzare.

ReJoyce

Reaction score
It is ludicrous to extend this observation to the French. Bread, cheese, and wine are the culinary trinity.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads