or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Big sigh of relief.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Big sigh of relief. - Page 3

post #31 of 43
My profound congratulations too.  My theory:  Defend while 9 months pregnant; who can beat down a glowing pregnant women.  Not an option for us gents, so a 7 fold tie is the penultimate method for easing a defense. (88keys/7fold tie)*sqrt (bulchers size)=p(h|d)=success*1000 weighted, of course, by the number of Goldberg variations--How many Dr Koji? Kudos.
post #32 of 43
So... what next? After the doctorate they generally kick yer arse out of school.... what's next for Dr. Koji?
post #33 of 43
Congrats dude.
post #34 of 43
Dude, it's got to be the tie. Congratulations.
post #35 of 43
Quote:
...Just out of curiosity, which tie was it? any pic?
Buy a tie, get a doctorate... And you thought that the MBA online programs were the latest scam
post #36 of 43
Quote:
Quote:
(darkoak @ April 26 2005,13:56) ...Just out of curiosity, which tie was it? any pic?
Buy a tie, get a doctorate... And you thought that the MBA online programs were the latest scam
If only it were as easy as buying a tie... Congratulations Koji.. It's not the defense that matters, it's all the hard work that led up to it. The defense is supposed to be just a celebration of your achievement. And quite an achievement it is..
post #37 of 43
Thread Starter 
Thanks so much for all the sentiments; wish I could enjoy this more, but I'm stuck out in Indiana doing gigs (I'm broke ). My dissertation was on the life and recordings of the American pianist William Kapell, who was killed in an airplane crash at age 31 in 1953. He was the first big-time american pianist to hit the world concert-scene, and his death was a huge loss to music lovers all over the world (he's often referred to as the piano equivalent of James Dean). He was also a Juilliard grad, and my teacher at Juilliard was one of his few pupils, so it was a rewarding topic all around. As for being a "doctor" (a pretty much useless appelation in the music world, I"m afraid), I suppose I can ponder and contemplate deep thoughts on being unemployed. koji
post #38 of 43
I've always been partial to the Richter / Sofia "Pictures": do you think it's worthwhile for me to get the Frick Collection Kapell too? Maybe just for the Copland (I have John Browning and like that version)
post #39 of 43
Quote:
 My dissertation was on the life and recordings of the American pianist William Kapell, who was killed in an airplane crash at age 31 in 1953.  He was the first big-time american pianist to hit the world concert-scene, and his death was a huge loss to music lovers all over the world (he's often referred to as the piano equivalent of James Dean).  He was also a Juilliard grad, and my teacher at Juilliard was one of his few pupils, so it was a rewarding topic all around.  
Interesting article on Kappell in the NY Review of Books issue of March 24, 2005.
post #40 of 43
Quote:
Thanks so much for all the sentiments; wish I could enjoy this more, but I'm stuck out in Indiana doing gigs (I'm broke ).  My dissertation was on the life and recordings of the American pianist William Kapell, who was killed in an airplane crash at age 31 in 1953.  He was the first big-time american pianist to hit the world concert-scene, and his death was a huge loss to music lovers all over the world (he's often referred to as the piano equivalent of James Dean).  He was also a Juilliard grad, and my teacher at Juilliard was one of his few pupils, so it was a rewarding topic all around.  As for being a "doctor" (a pretty much useless appelation in the music world, I"m afraid), I suppose I can ponder and contemplate deep thoughts on being unemployed. koji
you never know - I knew somebody who made a nice living teaching music history and writting books about it, while allowing himself and his family the time to enjoy their music. good luck to you.
post #41 of 43
Thread Starter 
Quote:
I've always been partial to the Richter / Sofia "Pictures": do you think it's worthwhile for me to get the Frick Collection Kapell too? Maybe just for the Copland (I have John Browning and like that version)
I actually prefer the Kapell performance from Connecticut College, although the Frick one is terrific as well. koji
post #42 of 43
A bit late perhaps, but nevertheless: Congratulations MtB
post #43 of 43
Also late, but congrats also. As they would say in Jamaica - "Big Up, mon"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Big sigh of relief.