Name pre-SF regrettable purchases. - Page 15
I shudder to think what I must have looked like.
This thread delivers - but would be better with photographs of the offending garments.
- numerous ill-fitting suits
- numerous colour-wheel fails
- Ill-advised choices / colours e.g. cheap £150 Next suit; cheap £150 Next cream suit, complete with cheap £30ish duck-egg yellow loafers, a light pink shirt, and multi-striped lilac / lavender / pink tie - that get-up received 3 independents "Looking sharp!' comments, and the admiration of a rather attractive Canadian co-worker (being a complete beta-male, I utterly failed to even comprehend asking her on a date when I was talking to her back and forth at my previous company)
- £550 on a no vent, flared (!) trousered MTM suit from Raja Fashions - I actually loved that suit, but I can get much more for my money and look better due my epiphany in discovering SF and learning about fit, fit and fit (best fit, then tailoring)
- Usual square-toed monstrosities - and deluded in thinking that I was where it was at, baybee
- Failure to understand shoe-rotation i.e. single pair of work shoes, single pair of casual shoes - wear out every 6 months, waste another £70 odd
SF unapproved but no regrets:
- £100 on a pair of soft-leather burgundy derbies from Aldo - yes, I could spend a little more and get much better quality. However, I love the colour (even if it is wearing off at the toe crease), the SA provided me with good advice on shoes (discussed English brands e.g. Churches, Trickers) and introduced me to shoe-trees, shoe cream, and inadvertently, SF
SF approved but regrets (after joining SF)
- £195 Loake 1880s Aldwych - last is too blobby, inelegant, and hard, hard upper leather
I'll dig into my charity wardrobe tomorrow, and take pictures of some of the offending garments.
I bought a few JAB suits about 3 or 4 years ago. I only paid $100 for them, and I got 2 shirts and 2 ties with each. Between the shirts, ties, and the pants from the suits, I still get use out of them, so I can't call the purchases complete wastes, but the jackets fit like crap. That, combined with SF, made me less confident in the knowledge of retail store employees.
PS: I bought those suits years ago, and I stopped wearing them years ago. I don't want anyone to think that I only recently realized the difference between clothes that do and don't fit well.