or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Breast pocket on OCBD: acceptable?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Breast pocket on OCBD: acceptable?

post #1 of 34
Thread Starter 
Well, that's the question, really.

As an aside, does anyone have any idea whether older Brooks Brothers (or J Press et similia) models had breast pockets?

Thanks in advance for your responses.
post #2 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by radicaldog View Post
Well, that's the question, really.

As an aside, does anyone have any idea whether older Brooks Brothers (or J Press et similia) models had breast pockets?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

I think BB introduced them at some point in time. Before OCBDs were without pockets.
I do not like pockets on any of my shirts.
post #3 of 34
Not only acceptable, but the time has come to have two, one on each side.


- B
post #4 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxsartoria View Post
Not only acceptable, but the time has come to have two, one on each side.


- B
Let's skip that and go straight to having 3 or even 4 - one on the left stomach and maybe one over the right shoulder, or on the left sleeve like flight jackets have?
post #5 of 34
According to Will, one of the worst days in his life was the day in 1969 when BB added pockets to their shirts. I have never known BB without pockets. I get my MTM OCBDs with pockets. But the pinpoint ones I get from Geneva have no pocket.
post #6 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by j View Post
Let's skip that and go straight to having 3 or even 4 - one on the left stomach and maybe one over the right shoulder, or on the left sleeve like flight jackets have?

...add little ticket pocket too please....

Regards.
post #7 of 34
They're traditional. I'd even say obligatory.
post #8 of 34
I believe BB added the pocket when waistcoats went out of fashion. It used to be that they would remove it for you free of charge. I always find the pocket useful, therefore I like it.
post #9 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimslade View Post
They're traditional. I'd even say obligatory.

You are WRONG! See above.

I once thought like you, but I have seen the light. I haven't changed my ways, however.
post #10 of 34
I am used to them on my OCBDs and actually use them from time to time (phone, cards, etc.). I suppose I could get used to no pocket if I had to.
post #11 of 34
Thread Starter 
Seriously, I do sometimes think that two breast pockets with buttons would look less akward on OCBDs. Gussets may go well with the box pleat in the back. But all this wouldn't spare me from having to get my OCBDs MTM, which is a bit of a pity because my funds aren't unlimited and RTW BB shirts happen to fit me reasonably well.
post #12 of 34
If you get and oxford shirt made for work, no pocket (unless your work requires a pocket), for casual do what you like. I am getting a white oxford shirt made with a semi spread collar and maybe double cuffs. Although I think I will likely get button cuffs.
post #13 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post
You are WRONG! See above.

I once thought like you, but I have seen the light. I haven't changed my ways, however.

I still like them.
post #14 of 34
I have a few with pockets, I much prefer them without, however.
post #15 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by j View Post
Let's skip that and go straight to having 3 or even 4 - one on the left stomach and maybe one over the right shoulder, or on the left sleeve like flight jackets have?

It's clear thinking like this that makes you the Shadowy Puppetmaster.


- B
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Breast pocket on OCBD: acceptable?