or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › How much of SF groupthink do you actually follow?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How much of SF groupthink do you actually follow? - Page 3

post #31 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
An example of SF logic I don't get:
Ralph's pony is almost universally decried, but Barker Black's skull logos are generally accepted as cool.

I think it's because the skull logo is comparatively less in-your-face and/or instantly noticeable than the pony.

Someone would have to really be looking at the medallion on your shoe to notice it.
post #32 of 170
I don't care about pocket squares. I leave the pocket empty most of the time. The only square I ever carry is white linen, or a banana.

I like "blobby" shoes. I do not like "sleek" shoes. (I do appreciate, from a design perspective, the Lobb spiral-wholecut monks ... but owning a pair is not a priority.)

I don't wear trouser cuffs. But I like 2" cuffs better than smaller ones.

I have many other very specific and arbitrary likes and dislikes. Mostly I am grateful to have them, as they limit the amount of stuff I want to buy.
post #33 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by triniboy27 View Post
I think it's because the skull logo is comparatively less in-your-face and/or instantly noticeable than the pony.

Someone would have to really be looking at the medallion on your shoe to notice it.

But how many people in the real world think twice about the pony? Logo's a logo, in my book. If everyone and their brother started wearing BB's skulls, I imagine the stock would go way down here.

I'm guilty of it too. I started wearing knits less once they became all the rage here. Maybe my interest already was waning, maybe it was overexposure, maybe it was aversion to the trend.

Also, I must confess, I kinda like the look of the colorful big pony. Wouldn't wear it, but liked seeing it in the store.
post #34 of 170
Instead of a banana, try a feline stuffed-animal.
post #35 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkPantser View Post
[x] 2" cuffs
[x] ae & alden
[x] pocket squares
[x] knit ties
[x] incotex

2" cuffs? For real? I am 6'2" and wear 1.75" cuffs. Who in the world would wear 2"? Must be some tall people around here

AE and Alden are good quality American shoes.

I rarely wear pocket squares--IMO, it doesn't look quite right on me--maybe I am just not used to it.

Knit ties--depends

Incotex--Never have & never will!
post #36 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaogou View Post
2" cuffs? For real? I am 6'2" and wear 1.75" cuffs. Who in the world would wear 2"? Must be some tall people around here

I'm 2 inches shorter than you and my cuffs are a quarter-inch larger.
post #37 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
But how many people in the real world think twice about the pony?

WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA!

What is this 'real world' you speak of?

I agree re: the overexposure though.
post #38 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by binge View Post
Instead of a banana, try a feline stuffed-animal.

I knew a guy into taxidermy who had a cat. Big hit at parties. Perhaps a small taxidermied kitten could sit in the pocket, else I might go with a rodent of some sort.
post #39 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
I'm 2 inches shorter than you and my cuffs are a quarter-inch larger.


Ok...I am trying to understand this. Cuff height is there to break up the length of the body, correct? Please tell me if I am wrong as this is what I was told when I ordered my mtm Oxxfords. I was also told that "sleek" shoes will make me look taller, so I should try wingtips and shoes of that nature.

I am fascinated by this 2" cuff. I should try it. Do you feel like it is too much cuff height?
post #40 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaogou View Post
Do you feel like it is too much cuff height?

I feel like it is awesome. But it takes trim trou on the short side.

Are you actively trying to look taller?
post #41 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
I feel like it is awesome. But it takes trim trou on the short side.

Are you actively trying to look taller?


Not at all--just trying to look balanced. IMO, most tall people need more length/height on their cuffs. A 1" cuff will make someone like me or you look taller, correct whereas more cuff will tend to balance the height??
post #42 of 170
this forum is 100% dead on when it comes to identifying items of great craftsmanship and quality, PSA's and other great deals, and other resources that would take me years and thousands of dollars in trial-and-error to find myself. i trust you guys implicitly on those topics. as far as personal style goes, i enjoy reading what you guys have to say, and it usually is of value, but ultimately i (and my dollar) go my own way.
post #43 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaogou View Post
Not at all--just trying to look balanced. IMO, most tall people need more length/height on their cuffs. A 1" cuff will make someone like me or you look taller, correct whereas more cuff will tend to balance the height??

I see what you're saying -- makes sense to scale to height. I might not opt for the 2-inch cuff were I very short. But, being unconcerned about my height, I like the presence of the larger cuff. Check out some of the WAYW and see what you think.
post #44 of 170
I will answer this question once I see what other people say about it.
post #45 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
I see what you're saying -- makes sense to scale to height. I might not opt for the 2-inch cuff were I were very short. But, being unconcerned about my height, I like the presence of the larger cuff. Check out some of the WAYW and see what you think.

Excellent idea
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › How much of SF groupthink do you actually follow?