• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes for Summer?

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im looking to get a pair of Shoes for the summer that can be worn with out socks. My delima is I wear a lot of slim clothing and feel a pair of sperrys would look out of place. am I wrong? Any other suggestions. I dont want to spend over $100.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think Sperry's look bad with slim fitting attire. How wide of a leg opening are we talking about?

lakichan

Reaction score
opening ceremony is supposed to release their version of the bass weejun. an excellent loafer. i'm pretty sure it's over the $100 mark though. if you do like the bass weejun try getting a pair on ebay. that's where i kopped mine and it was well under $100.

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i got a pair of john varvatos boat shoes last summer that went great with slim leg pants. but they were 200 bucks. but they still look great and i'll be wearing them this summer too, so really, at most they cost 100 dollars a summer which isnt bad.

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by js4design
i got a pair of john varvatos boat shoes last summer that went great with slim leg pants. but they were 200 bucks. but they still look great and i'll be wearing them this summer too, so really, at most they cost 100 dollars a summer which isnt bad.

Are u referring to the Beekmans?

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think im going all out y-3 this summer

Caveat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by js4design
actually i just found them here for $122. ive got the dark brown washed calf which i recommend.

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/p/7374081/c/128730.html

Are these the ones Gilt had in their JV sale for $70 or something? I blew by them initially and then thought...wait a second...and they were gobbled up. They were the red distressed version. Anyway, they don't have my size at Zappos so nothing to think about. Any idea why those don't show up under the John Varvatos Men's section at Zappos? How did you find them?

Tardek

Reaction score
Havianas

I don't even care what you all say! They go great with jeans and a casual shirt, and you certainly never wear socks with them.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tardek
Havianas

I don't even care what you all say! They go great with bootcut jeans and a 'muscle fit' abercrombie shirt, and you certainly never wear socks while drinking 4$ coors long necks at Buffalo Wild Wings on a thursday night in them.

fixed

I say, cheap plimsols (vans,chengs,sperry, or wal-mart IMO), vans/sperry slip ons, or hell even sambas can be rocked w/out socks imo

I think JPGM wore wingtips without socks as beach attire

(i miss his posts, furrreal)

I would say the possibilities are endless, its really just a matter of do i want my nasty sockless feet stinking up these shoes... getting over that hurdle is all it takes to turn regular shoes into 'summer' shoes.

and please, please save flip flops for the beach or public showers

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Caveat
Are these the ones Gilt had in their JV sale for $70 or something? I blew by them initially and then thought...wait a second...and they were gobbled up. They were the red distressed version. Anyway, they don't have my size at Zappos so nothing to think about. Any idea why those don't show up under the John Varvatos Men's section at Zappos? How did you find them?

i know there is a red distressed version, so i'd assume they were one and the same. i didnt find them at first on zappos but got redirected to them by doing a google search for john varvatos beekman. that site sometimes has hidden corners that you cant find at first.

mellowfellow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you can still wear that sockless steez by wearing loafer peds. You can find them cheap at the women sock section. They come in nude or black.

gp518479-00p01v01.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Staff online

Forum statistics