• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Facebook: Yay or Nay?

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't signed for Facebook. I know people who are members and have urged me to join. I'm not 100 percent sold. What are the advantages/disadvantages?

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seeing that I have over 650 friends always makes me feel content and satisfied with my life. It's a jolt of self-esteem every time.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
It's fun and a good way to catch up with people you know or used to know.

I've reconnected with people all the way from kindergarten through grad school and keep in touch with new friends as well.

On the downside, it's an even bigger timesuck than SF.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I registered, but have never used it. Apparently I have a few friends, but I don't know who they are, and have no idea how they found me.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've found it a good way to reconnect with people you haven't seen in awhile. The only con is that you may not want to expose details of your personal life to strangers and your current or possibly future employer. I believe FB has options to control who sees your profile and how much they can see.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford

On the downside, it's an even bigger timesuck than SF.

This is my fear. It might take a lot of my time.

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't post anything on there you wouldn't want your employer/future employer to see.

I've heard that once you join, you can never really unjoin. Your info is stored even after you deactivate. It feels a little big brotherish to me but what on the internet doesn't these days.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Same here. My girfriend's obsessed with it. I don't get it, but at least she better understands my interest in SF now.
We went out to dinner with my wife's oldest friend last week. The friend kept going on and on about the children their old high school acquintences had, who had gotten divorced, blah blah blah. She even offered to forward pictures to my wife. I was crying inside the entire time. I always figured that if I really wanted to stay in touch with people, I would have.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
do you already stay in contact with the people wiht whom you would like to stay in contact? if th answer is yes it is proabaly more of a bother because people you barely remember and friend of your siblings will talk to you for no apparent reason.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yay. Make fun of all of the nerds in the styleforum group.

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I finally joined Facebook last year and have really enjoyed my time on the site. I would recommend it.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
We went out to dinner with my wife's oldest friend last week. The friend kept going on and on about the children their old high school acquintences had, who had gotten divorced, blah blah blah. She even offered to forward pictures to my wife. I was crying inside the entire time. I always figured that if I really wanted to stay in touch with people, I would have.

I already have too many people in contact with me. If people really want to talk, they can call me. If they're lucky, I might not even screen their call. The last thing I need to do with my time is read about how Tina from elementary school wubs her new kitty.

Reaction score
I'm a Yah! Loads of people I deal with at work are members, so it works well for me.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got dragged into it recently and have chosen to keep it to just personal friends- no business relationships, etc. It's been good to reconnect with high school and college friends.

I find it interesting how you find out which of those early relationships are the most meaningful now or, perhaps, most enduring.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads