• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A wireless router that doesn't suck?

B1FF

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a consumer level 802.11n wireless router with gigabit ethernet ports that DOESN'T SUCK?

I have tried two different Linksys models - most recently the WRT350N - and they have both been garbage.

I do quite a bit of P2P, and generate a LOT of inside-the-house traffic, and have to reset these things ever four hours or so.

From reading the Linksys forums, this seems to be a common problem that the company isn't willing/able to fix. In fact, they haven't updated the 350's firmware in over a year and apear to have given up on supporting the model even though it is still on the shelves.

Any suggestions?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They all suck. Seriously. I'd just stick to 802.11g for now. N still isn't finalized.

TowleY

Reaction score
Only one ive really used is linksys. Mine doesnt really go out too often. Every once and a while and usually only fo a couple of minutes. How many computers do you have hooked up to the router. Are any of the computers in hte same room as the router.

B1FF

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
They all suck. Seriously. I'd just stick to 802.11g for now. N still isn't finalized.

Argh. G is so slow. And the N spec is still, what, a year away at best? I see wires in my future.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've used a Belkin N router for the past year but suspect performance wouldn't have really been much different if I used a Linksys, or any other make. Wires are back in my present.

B1FF

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TowleY
Only one ive really used is linksys. Mine doesnt really go out too often. Every once and a while and usually only fo a couple of minutes. How many computers do you have hooked up to the router. Are any of the computers in hte same room as the router.

I have a laptop connected to it wirelessly from another room, doing heavy P2P to the internet and a lot of internal data transfer. I have a wired gigabit ethernet switch that connects to the Linksys router, which in turn has two servers with two gig ports apiece, a Slingbox, an XBox, and a printer connected to it.

P2P kills it quickly, but even just FTPing a large file from my laptop to one of the wired machines will do it eventually. Only a power cycle will bring things back to life. I've tried two different models, and more than one example of each.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Airport Extreme has been good to me.
peepwall[1].gif

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why are you doing heavy p2p? Isn't your ISP throttling you anyway (almost all throttle it now, or will in the near future)?

I have a linksys 350N and frankly i stopped trying to run with n mode and forced it to 802.11g and have fewer problems. The thing I hate about wireless is that it is so unreliable. Interference has always been a real problem for me. Sometimes it's "fast" for file transfers and sometimes it's unbearably slow. Sometimes the network just disappears. Wireless is for web browsing and light email imo. Everything else should be wired, especially servers. If I had to rely primarily on wireless, I'd go mad. Pay an electrician or someone to run some Cat5e in your walls or something.

xhine23

Reaction score
I've been using D Link DIR 655 and I'm happy with it. You might want to give it a try if you haven't yet.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I run in G because I have thick walls and the N mode's range kind of sucks indoors in my building.

B1FF

Reaction score
Why are you doing heavy p2p? Isn't your ISP throttling you anyway (almost all throttle it now, or will in the near future)?

Why? I'm addicted to watching the latest movies and listening to lots of music! No, no throttling that I've noticed.

I have a linksys 350N and frankly i stopped trying to run with n mode and forced it to 802.11g and have fewer problems. The thing I hate about wireless is that it is so unreliable. Interference has always been a real problem for me. Sometimes it's "fast" for file transfers and sometimes it's unbearably slow. Sometimes the network just disappears. Wireless is for web browsing and light email imo. Everything else should be wired, especially servers. If I had to rely primarily on wireless, I'd go mad. Pay an electrician or someone to run some Cat5e in your walls or something.
The servers are wired, the laptop I use to connect with them isn't.

There doesn't seem to be any real competition for the airspace where I live, so wireless is usually pretty rock solid until the moment when Mr Linksys decides to take a nap.

bkk

Reaction score
In my general experience with routers, D-link will die within 2 years and Linksys is built to last forever. I went through two D-link wireless routers in just over 2 years, and have had no issues with my wired Linksys router (>5 years) and wireless (>2 years).

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by B1FF
Why? I'm addicted to watching the latest movies and listening to lots of music! No, no throttling that I've noticed.

The servers are wired, the laptop I use to connect with them isn't.

There doesn't seem to be any real competition for the airspace where I live, so wireless is usually pretty rock solid until the moment when Mr Linksys decides to take a nap.

Your linksys might just be a lemon. In general, I haven't had problems with them and I have the specific model you have. My big complaint with wireless has nothing to do with a specific brand. It's all the issues that arise from interference that annoy the **** out of me.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
See I thought all this intermittancy that I experienced on my wireless was some sort of techno-impotence of mine, but if teh g33k has the same issues.... Fortunately, I have a 6-node wired network in place at home, I just use the wireless for when any of us are wandering with laptops. ~ H

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads