• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Real estate

Reaction score
My two big toes, more so my right than left, are begining to wear out my shoes. My toes, and most peoples, curve slightly up so this is starting to wear a hole in my shoes. My shoes fit properly, and they are not tight or anything, but as my heel hits the floor while I am walking my big toe rubs against the top of my shoe. This is begining to wear a hole in them. My nails are kept short and my toes are not freakishly curved or anything like that. What can I do to prevent this wear? I was thinking taping the sticky part of a band aid over this spot to prevent this wear. This has happened to a major degree on my other pair of shoes and are just starting to happen on my newer pair. FYI these are the type of shoes that should last 10+ years.

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no, that does not happen to me

jmix1

Reaction score
It sounds like your shoes are too tight. This shouldn't be happening. Depending on the shoe, maybe try a last with a bit more room in the toe box.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jmix1
It sounds like your shoes are too tight. This shouldn't be happening. Depending on the shoe, maybe try a last with a bit more room in the toe box.
I agree, a shoe with a bigger toe box may help prevent this.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
bigger toe box or half a size longer?

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had my small toe wear through a pair of Bostonians... not sure if it was due to the (low) quality of the leather, the toe box, or both. Regardless, last pair of those I'll be buying.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy larger shoes; there should be comfortably enough space for give under pressure.

Harrydog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Real estate
My two big toes, more so my right than left, are begining to wear out my shoes. My toes, and most peoples, curve slightly up so this is starting to wear a hole in my shoes. My shoes fit properly, and they are not tight or anything, but as my heel hits the floor while I am walking my big toe rubs against the top of my shoe. This is begining to wear a hole in them. My nails are kept short and my toes are not freakishly curved or anything like that. What can I do to prevent this wear? I was thinking taping the sticky part of a band aid over this spot to prevent this wear. This has happened to a major degree on my other pair of shoes and are just starting to happen on my newer pair. FYI these are the type of shoes that should last 10+ years.

I have noticed it with a few pair of shoes I own, and only one to any serious degree. Since I base size on where the shoe fits at the widest part of my foot, I would not size up to solve the problem. I also get no discomfort in the toe box, so the idea that the toe box is too tight doesn't work. You might buy some adhesive moleskin (in the shoe supply section at the drugstore) and line the area of the toe box to take more of the wear. Better than the bandaid idea.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Is there a Men's Clothing (MC) equivalent of the SW&D "Ask a Question/Get an Answer" thread? It seems like that might be a good addition, if not. I mean, is there REALLY a need for a whole thread about the effect of big toes on shoes?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Perhaps you need to do as Jesus did:

1193869202_9daf8b20c9_m.jpg

- B

Eagle

Reaction score
While I have not experienced the type of excess wear described in the OP, I have noted that the first place I notice my shoes failing (generally after many years of use and several resolings) is the lining in the toe box, just where my little toes come in contact with the lining. It starts as cracking and eventually becomes a tear in the lining. Since they don't replace/repair linings, at that point, the shoes take that long, lonely, one way walk to the trash bin!

Real estate

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Is there a Men's Clothing (MC) equivalent of the SW&D "Ask a Question/Get an Answer" thread? It seems like that might be a good addition, if not. I mean, is there REALLY a need for a whole thread about the effect of big toes on shoes?

There's more of a need for a thread like this over a reply like yours

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^Really? This thread will be buried down on page 4 in a day or so, but if it were put in a pinned "Q&A" thread, then whatever info it may contain would still be there. I doubt big-toe wear is an issue with enough members that it will generate a long-term or ongoing discussion.

I was genuinely curious if the MC section had that type of Q&A thread (as I didn't see one), as there is in SW&D. SO, you can simmer down the righteous indignation.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads