• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brand new Kiton store to open at Saks

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
14saks.600.jpg

14saks4.650.jpg

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/14/bu...s.html?_r=1&hp

Obviously, the reporter didn't bother to cut open a Kiton jacket for further investigation:

Kiton — which employs 330 tailors who create its garments by hand — produces only a few thousand pieces a year. It takes 25 hours to make a jacket. Fans of Kiton clothes, and it is a devoted cult, say the garments are soft, light and exquisitely made. They are said to fit like a second skin.
On leaving working button holes unbuttoned:

Small, costly details of tailoring mark the brand. Unlike many suit jackets, Kiton’s have “surgeon’s cuffs,” or buttons that open at the wrist. Some customers keep a couple of them undone as a subtle status symbol. But Mr. Collins, who owns a Kiton jacket, described that as a gauche habit.

It’s a really ostentatious thing to do,” he said. “The tasteful thing to do is to have them and never open them.”

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
“These are decisions that are made with significant advance planning,” said Ronald L. Frasch, president and chief merchandising officer for Saks.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Delivered by messenger to my office yesterday was a goodie bag announcing this momentous event in which the following was gifted:

Kiton cream/purple paisley tie
set of Kiton emblazoned brass blazer buttons and swatches
Kiton look book for spring '09
invite to the opening

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
Delivered by messenger to my office yesterday was a goodie bag announcing this momentous event in which the following was gifted:

invite to the opening

What, no sedan chair?

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

invite to the opening

now THAT is big time
worship.gif

pics?

Taxler

Reaction score
I've head a rumor from several real estate types in Manhattan that Kiton is considering the sale of their boutique property; the expansion of Kiton products at Saks would seem to justify that possibility.

LaoHu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Taxler
I've head a rumor from several real estate types in Manhattan that Kiton is considering the sale of their boutique property; the expansion of Kiton products at Saks would seem to justify that possibility.

I walked by the boutique a few Saturdays ago and it was quite devoid of customers.

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Do they own the property, or is the owner selling it thus driving the Kiton the tenant out?

Taxler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by maomao1980
Do they own the property, or is the owner selling it thus driving the Kiton the tenant out?

It's a historic stand-alone building owned by Kiton. Even if you don't want to buy anything, you should go to see the architecture. They do have another corporate office somewhere in town.

jsherman02

Reaction score
Delivered by messenger to my office yesterday was a goodie bag announcing this momentous event in which the following was gifted: Kiton cream/purple paisley tie set of Kiton emblazoned brass blazer buttons and swatches Kiton look book for spring '09 invite to the opening
I called and mentioned your name and they are sending a Maybach to drive me to the opening. AP, you are the man!

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's a historic stand-alone building owned by Kiton. Even if you don't want to buy anything, you should go to see the architecture. They do have another corporate office somewhere in town.

Well now is certainly not the best time to be a seller in the real estate market. I hope the best for them as they do make beautiful things.

Leslierc

Reaction score
Sorry to throw cold water on this thread, but you've got to wonder about the intelligence of this decision. Job losses are occurring by the tens of thousands per month, and those (including myself) predicting a turnaround of this trend are saying that such is still several years off. Only 2 months ago, Saks was selling suits, shoes, and other items at 70% mark-down. Who, in these times, is paying $7K for an off-the-rack Kiton suit with all of the uncertainty that's out here? Although I know that Saks has been courting Kiton for years, this just seems to be an impractical and, perhaps, foolish business move right now. Saks, by the way, is among those companies that has been laying off workers.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow. the promised land opens on 5th avenue, saving me a trip to the Napoli bank building way up on Madison! Must.....make.......pilgrimage...........buy.........new.....shirt........

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Leslierc
Sorry to throw cold water on this thread, but you've got to wonder about the intelligence of this decision. Job losses are occurring by the tens of thousands per month, and those (including myself) predicting a turnaround of this trend are saying that such is still several years off. Only 2 months ago, Saks was selling suits, shoes, and other items at 70% mark-down. Who, in these times, is paying $7K for an off-the-rack Kiton suit with all of the uncertainty that's out here? Although I know that Saks has been courting Kiton for years, this just seems to be an impractical and, perhaps, foolish business move right now. Saks, by the way, is among those companies that has been laying off workers.

The decision to open to Saks store was probably made before the economy blew up, and for whatever reason, contractual or otherwise, they are stuck doing it.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
it's also a matter of timing and planning for the future. i believe the more forward-thinking companies right now are taking steps to make sure they survive this recession, but they are also making judicious investments to make sure they are at the top of the wave when the economy rebounds.

not necessarily characterizing SFA as 'forward-thinking', but if they really have been fighting to land Kiton for a long time, they may feel that they have to seize an opportunity that may not come again later

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads