or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Voxsartoria's Weekly WAYWRN Subjective and Totally Unfair Digest
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Voxsartoria's Weekly WAYWRN Subjective and Totally Unfair Digest - Page 14

post #196 of 2153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma View Post
I was referring to my comments on how people at the time wouldn't have given a fuck about AA and dressing that way.

What makes you say that? Some people must have cared; the images are obviously still being discussed today.
post #197 of 2153
Post depression era spawned a time of "glamor" in film especially. People were looking for something better and I think the AA,Esquire pics were feeding this as well. Yes, people cared about dressing and aspired to something elegant and above the norm.
post #198 of 2153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despos View Post
Post depression era spawned a time of "glamor" in film especially. People were looking for something better and I think the AA,Esquire pics were feeding this as well. Yes, people cared about dressing and aspired to something elegant and above the norm.
Times were good in Hollywood during the depression. I know an older guy whose father was a movie exec, and he was talking about having done his part delivering oranges as a youngster during the mid thirties, and how tough those days were on everybody. It turns out he delivered them from the backseat of a driven Bentley. Anyway, I think Hollywood glamor was a reaction to the depression during the depression, and not after.
post #199 of 2153
I thought it extended up to 1939 or so.
post #200 of 2153
An interesting compilation of great insights and rank foolishness. As someone who does take a good deal of inspiration from AA plates my point is that at this point in time they're purely illustrative of an aesthetic that is ,of itself, attractive. Those who would ascribe some sort of class distinction to wearing AA-inspired clothing are deluding themselves- because the people they're trying to emulate, unless they're hobbyists like us, are mostly wearing jeans and sweatshirts.
post #201 of 2153
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtie View Post
An interesting compilation of great insights and rank foolishness.
Chris, you let him talk about you like that?
post #202 of 2153
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimslade View Post
Chris, you let him talk about you like that?

That's funny, I thought he was talking about you.
post #203 of 2153
WTF happened to this thread? I thought it was some usless digest of passable pictures. Did it end up being all about Manton vs FNC again?
post #204 of 2153
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxsartoria View Post
Nice job f*cking up my little thread, Trini.
You're going on my shit list.
- B
- HAHA, I was just about to bin this trhead as it reminds me of the WAYWT thread on SW&D where there is more text than pics & the odd Pecs from Vox..
- don't worry Trini, I too am on the Hate list ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post
WTF happened to this thread? I thought it was some usless digest of passable pictures. Did it end up being all about Manton vs FNC again?
+1
post #205 of 2153
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post
WTF happened to this thread? I thought it was some usless digest of passable pictures. Did it end up being all about Manton vs the voices in his head again?
FTFY, as they say. Kindly leave me out of this. I've had him on ignore for months which does wonders to freshen the atmosphere around here.. Although, there are still some unhappy moments when people quote his angry posts. Please don't encourage him.
post #206 of 2153
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post
WTF happened to this thread? I thought it was some usless digest of passable pictures. Did it end up being all about Manton vs FNC again?

Actually, it was more FNB v. the proles who try to dress above their station.
post #207 of 2153
So, does anyone in this thread simply wear clothing because they like the way it looks on them or is that just for the simpletons like me
post #208 of 2153
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel View Post
So, does anyone in this thread simply wear clothing because they like the way it looks on them or is that just for the simpletons like me

I do. That's what the whole argument is about.
post #209 of 2153
I didn't read the thread, Manton, but just want to ask, don't many factors, such as your upbringing, influence what you think looks better on you?
post #210 of 2153
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemagic View Post
I didn't read the thread, Manton, but just want to ask, don't many factors, such as your upbringing, influence what you think looks better on you?

I am sure they do. But that is not what is in dispute.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Voxsartoria's Weekly WAYWRN Subjective and Totally Unfair Digest