• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Inspiration

davo10375

Reaction score
Thought I would start a thread like this in line with the "what can we do" thread to improve the forum. The purpose of this thread is to post pictures, whether waywt, street, runway or other pictures that inspire the way you dress and to explain how or why. Since i lost all my old awesome ones, some new photos from the sat;

1199MATGucciWeb.jpg

Like the pants, wouldn't mind adapting a similar sort of pants but possibly with a higher rise. Interesting use of the shirt also.

1159CardiganWeb1.jpg

Pants are fantastic, this is how drop-crotch should be done. Would love to find almost the exact same pair of pants in a light fabric, and rock them in summer with a plainish top half. Great use of contrasting patterns as well, though i could see myself doing it more with a checked pant and argyle socks.

Go

Lysol

Reaction score
This guy:

Paul%20Newman.jpg

and this guy's movies:

2008-03-20-Godard.jpg

Keep it simple.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't take inspiration from any specific pictures I see. I take inspiration from everything I have ever encountered in my lifetime.

davo10375

Reaction score
Label the photos Lysol, people need to know who they are. Constant thats great, post some experiences then that define how you dress. Wupper explain why they inspire you... helps people visualise a bit better and then tranform the inspiration to themselves. #2 and #3 are great by the way.

Lysol

Reaction score
Originally Posted by davo10375
Label the photos Lysol, people need to know who they are. Constant thats great, post some experiences then that define how you dress. Wupper explain why they inspire you... helps people visualise a bit better and then tranform the inspiration to themselves. #2 and #3 are great by the way.

I think most people are familiar with Paul Newman.

The second is Jean-Luc Godard. I find the style of the 1950's and 1960's French new wave and the ability to take classic American looks and just make them look "cool" appealing. That's what it becomes less about fashion and more about style. You won't find me dressing like characters in these movies but I take inspiration from them.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
I am not completely interested in the trad or 'take ivy' specifically, but I draw a lot of my inspiration from yearbooks, family albums, or the boxes of photographs people sell at garage/estate sales and antique malls.

I usually can spend 3-4 hours looking just at images online from various sources.

I agree with Lysol that cinema, especially Godard,Fellini, and all of the other major foreign directors of the 60's captured some essence that i feel hasn't been captured as well, or at all since.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I wouldn't wear what he's wearing, but this guy's really got something good here:
stck.jpg

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
527128.jpg

Lysol

Reaction score
^ Amazing!

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lysol
and this guy's movies:

2008-03-20-Godard.jpg

Keep it simple.

Fuuma?

Jeff Daniels in Squid and the Whale
jdaniels.jpg

Hiking pics from Flickr's pre-1962 in color
479059876_7ec70dea90.jpg

Jack in Five Easy Pieces
5ep.jpg

I know it's a joke, but there's interesting info in
phandbok.jpg

And yes, Take Ivy
chambrayandmadras.jpg

Brian SD

Reaction score
Take Ivy gets shat on a lot but it's an excellent source of inspiration. People need to see the value of taking certain elements of that style and transposing it into a modern format.

Lysol

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
People need to see the value of taking certain elements of that style and transposing it into a modern format.

That's asking a lot of most people.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Random sources of influence. Most are combinations of interesting outfits and fits, but mostly coupled with a sense of comfort, self-confidence, and "take it or leave it" attitude. Gianfranco FerrÃ
00a9.png
: a very large man who nevertheless looks like he loves life and what he does. He makes it all work and shows we don't have to be superskinny models or hunky gymbunnies to look good:
ferre_afp.jpg
Valentino Garavani:
large_VALENTINO.jpg
YSL: Not much needs to be said about YSL.
yves-saint-laurent-_675489c.jpg
Picasso: As with YSL... a man who just loved what he did and who he was.
doisneau_picasso.jpg
KHAN!! KHAN!! Sometimes, being over the top just works.
lol8[1].gif
starTrek2.gif
Andre Gide: sensitivity, subtlety, and a hint of genius. Can that be conveyed in a style? I dunno... but he sure tries.
gide.jpg
Le Corbusier's Villa Savoye:
bannerindex.jpg
Mies van der Rohe's Farnsworth House:
mies_farnsworth-house_blog.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics