or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › which is a better city: Chicago or New York?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

which is a better city: Chicago or New York? - Page 5

post #61 of 198
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by samantha360 View Post
I love NY! I've herd great things about Chicago but never been there. But I've lived in NYC and the crime isn't as bad as people say and their is always something to do.

Work to pay rent?
post #62 of 198
Chicago for me. But I did grow up in the Midwest.
post #63 of 198
From my time spent in both cities, I can honestly say that they are both nice to visit. I can't say that I'd want to live in either city for any extended period of time. I think 2 years is probably my limit.
post #64 of 198
I am interested in NY. I like the culture there. From what Ive seen in pictures and tv. And I want to move somewhere I can pursue my arts (visual arts or maybe entertainment). And have places to go at odd hours .
post #65 of 198
I have to choose?? As a visitor to both NYC and Chicago I love them both for different reasons.
post #66 of 198
I spent nearly 40 years of my life living and playing around Chi town. You can keep New York, It's over rated all the way. Anyway Chicago pizza is way better than NY's hands down so there. LOL.
post #67 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's View Post
I spent nearly 40 years of my life living and playing around Chi town. You can keep New York, It's over rated all the way. Anyway Chicago pizza is way better than NY's hands down so there. LOL.

You're a master of sarcasm and irony. Wait....
post #68 of 198
Spent a good amount of time in both and I'd give the edge to Chicago. Even being familiar with NY I always feel a little suffocated by the cost of living there. From rent to drinks to transportation, I get overwhelmed with how much it costs just to subsist there. Unlike Dallas or Atlanta, Chicago still feels like a big city (public transportation, shopping, restaurants) but doesn't cost as much as NY. NY clearly has more to offer but I don't know if it justifies the difference in cost.
post #69 of 198
I spend a lot of time in Chicago for business and I really like the city. I like the pace of Chicago, especially when the weather is good. I'm not sure affordability is a great winning point though - I never really felt that things were that much cheaper there for comparable service/quality/etc...
post #70 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post
I spend a lot of time in Chicago for business and I really like the city. I like the pace of Chicago, especially when the weather is good. I'm not sure affordability is a great winning point though - I never really felt that things were that much cheaper there for comparable service/quality/etc...
Really? Maybe its just in my head but I feel like everything is cheaper in Chicago and my friends who have moved there from NY seem to feel the same way. Hell my 23 y/o buddy bought a roomy 2 bedroom condo in the west loop and walks in to work when the weather is good. That would be unthinkable in NY.
post #71 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post
I spend a lot of time in Chicago for business and I really like the city. I like the pace of Chicago, especially when the weather is good. I'm not sure affordability is a great winning point though - I never really felt that things were that much cheaper there for comparable service/quality/etc...
I don't find Chicago to be cheaper, either. Sales tax alone, especially in the Michigan Avenue area, runs higher than NYC.
post #72 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate10184 View Post
Really? Maybe its just in my head but I feel like everything is cheaper in Chicago and my friends who have moved there from NY seem to feel the same way. Hell my 23 y/o buddy bought a roomy 2 bedroom condo in the west loop and walks in to work when the weather is good. That would be unthinkable in NY.

No, I think you may be right on property and rents (although I'd say that people in NYC tend to obsess about certain Manhattan neighborhoods only, while there is a lot of affordable housing if you're willing to be just a few subway stops further). I am only referring to the costs I see there when I visit fors several days at a time and consume comparable things as I would in NYC (meals, drinks, cabs, etc...).
post #73 of 198
Unless money was no object, your lifestyle will be a lot more comfortable in Chicago. You can live pretty comfy on a 100K budget, while in NYC that would be pretty damn tough.
post #74 of 198
I thought Chicago was very nice when I visited. I'd rather live in NYC, but I don't think I'd be unhappy in Chicago. Then again, that winter weather is awful. I'm used to it as a Northeaster, but still...brrr.
post #75 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flambeur View Post
You can live pretty comfy on a 100K budget, while in NYC that would be pretty damn tough.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › which is a better city: Chicago or New York?