or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › Chris Brown assaults Rihanna, looking at 9 years
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Chris Brown assaults Rihanna, looking at 9 years - Page 12

post #166 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
I've been a bit curious about the ambivalent African-American reaction to this event.

The African-Americans I've talked to about the issue are not particularly condemning of Mr. Brown. A typical reaction: "We don't know what happened in that car. Nobody besides Chris Brown and Rihanna know what happened in that car. It's pointless to speculate about what might have happened." Generally followed with the usual polite disclaimers. Blackplatano's response early in this very thread is another example.

I am probably stepping into a hornet's nest even wondering aloud why that may be, but I'll go ahead and do it anyways. Is it because of a cultural difference, e.g. domestic violence is not as detested in certain cultures? (My own belief is that we have reached something of a fever-pitch on this issue in America.) Is it because of a general distrust in policing that makes any of these accusations ring false? Is it because of a (I think somewhat justifiable) belief that white America loves to see another black pop star going down, and confirming perhaps some prejudices they hold just under the surface?

Or is it just that my experiences have been with the wrong people?

black people don't trust the legal system.
post #167 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas_jack View Post
black people don't trust the legal system.

Yes, this is along the lines of one of my posited theories (#2). Still, though, you see the photos. How much is there to distrust? Is there a thought that perhaps she could have done something that would have justified getting a little roughed up? (Which leads into theory #1...)
post #168 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
I've been a bit curious about the ambivalent African-American reaction to this event.

The African-Americans I've talked to about the issue are not particularly condemning of Mr. Brown. A typical reaction: "We don't know what happened in that car. Nobody besides Chris Brown and Rihanna know what happened in that car. It's pointless to speculate about what might have happened." Generally followed with the usual polite disclaimers. Blackplatano's response early in this very thread is another example.

I am probably stepping into a hornet's nest even wondering aloud why that may be, but I'll go ahead and do it anyways. Is it because of a cultural difference, e.g. domestic violence is not as detested in certain cultures? (My own belief is that we have reached something of a fever-pitch on this issue in America.) Is it because of a general distrust in policing that makes any of these accusations ring false? Is it because of a (I think somewhat justifiable) belief that white America loves to see another black pop star going down, and confirming perhaps some prejudices they hold just under the surface?

Or is it just that my experiences have been with the wrong people?

Why do you assume I'm African-American?
post #169 of 184
I don't know - I guess I was reading between the lines based on a large number of your posts, and then your name and avatar. My apologies if I was assuming too much. Perhaps you are not American?
post #170 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
I don't know - I guess I was reading between the lines based on a large number of your posts, and then your name and avatar. My apologies if I was assuming too much. Perhaps you are not American?

I think he's latin
post #171 of 184
Yea, I'm Latin. I have my own theory, but I know it would be better if I don't state it.
post #172 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackplatano View Post
Yea, I'm Latin. I have my own theory, but I know it would better if I don't state it.

I won't judge.
post #173 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
The African-Americans I've talked to about the issue are not particularly condemning of Mr. Brown. A typical reaction: "We don't know what happened in that car. Nobody besides Chris Brown and Rihanna know what happened in that car. It's pointless to speculate about what might have happened." Generally followed with the usual polite disclaimers.
These are the sort of comments I heard on the talk show.
post #174 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackplatano View Post
Yea, I'm Latin. I have my own theory, but I know it would be better if I don't state it.

Now I want to know. AFAIK Chris Brown and Rihanna aren't forumites, so I don't see who could possibly be offended by any wild theory.
post #175 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopho View Post
I wonder what a hot chick like that could have said to get punched in the face?

That's what you wonder?
I would say I don't care what she said. You just don't do that to someone period.
post #176 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by sho'nuff View Post
That's what you wonder?
I would say I don't care what she said. You just don't do that to someone period.
sho'nuff, I agree. Regardless of what anyone says or does, you don't do this.
post #177 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
sho'nuff, I agree. Regardless of what anyone says or does, you don't do this.

cosign

forshame chris brown...forshame!

post #178 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
I've been a bit curious about the ambivalent African-American reaction to this event.


Me too

The only black person I know who has commented was my gf's friend who coincidentally enough said "I wonder what she said to get punched in the face" just after I read almost the exact same thing early in this thread. I don't consider her any kind of sample though since she really really strange when it comes to relationships, gender roles, and sexuality.
post #179 of 184
Teacher at the school I teach at said "Don't make me go Chris Brown on you" to a bunch of rowdy kids. 'Course, he's a bit odd - wears orange pimp shoes with lime green vests, an assortment of rainbow colored exotic belts, dangly earrings in coordinated colors and is an elderly black man who loves McCain, hates Obama and thinks socialism is coming tomorrow. All in all, an eccentric fellow.
post #180 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
I've been a bit curious about the ambivalent African-American reaction to this event.

The African-Americans I've talked to about the issue are not particularly condemning of Mr. Brown. A typical reaction: "We don't know what happened in that car. Nobody besides Chris Brown and Rihanna know what happened in that car. It's pointless to speculate about what might have happened." Generally followed with the usual polite disclaimers. Blackplatano's response early in this very thread is another example.

I am probably stepping into a hornet's nest even wondering aloud why that may be, but I'll go ahead and do it anyways. Is it because of a cultural difference, e.g. domestic violence is not as detested in certain cultures? (My own belief is that we have reached something of a fever-pitch on this issue in America.) Is it because of a general distrust in policing that makes any of these accusations ring false? Is it because of a (I think somewhat justifiable) belief that white America loves to see another black pop star going down, and confirming perhaps some prejudices they hold just under the surface?

Or is it just that my experiences have been with the wrong people?

You've come upon this theory from the frequent interactions you have with AA's?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › Chris Brown assaults Rihanna, looking at 9 years