• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The mafoofan and Thom Browne philosophies are not too unlike.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about this early this afternoon on the train. Both seem to take a modernist approach to clothing, where you use a rational process to arrive at the most optimal configuration of something, and then stop at nothing in reaching that configuration. This stands in opposition to the postmodernist process that is the default today, where you just grab whatever seems cool. The uniform is a kind of declaration of a platonic ideal.

The above is at least my synthesis of mafoofan and Browne. I myself am going to experiment with some aspects of this approach of dressing, and will try to demonstrate what I mean in WAYWTs if I succeed.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
you have too much time on your hands, good lord lol. smoke more weed

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Someone understands me!

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm actually kind of interested in this philosophy.

I've been toying with the idea of wearing PS sundances, slim denims (something like the Imperial Dukes, but with lower rise), white BoO oxford, and charcoal grey sweater every day. Maybe I'd rotate the sweater from cardigan to v-neck-to crewneck to turtleneck (in that case, sans oxford) on a daily or biweekly basis. I'd also change my watch and socks, I suppose.

Irond Will

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I get the modernist descriptor for the Mafoofan philosophy - at least kind of, since optimal ornamentation is kind of contrary to modernism in the first place, but I get where you're coming from. I don't really understand it wrt Thom Browne. How are impractically short pant cuffs modernist?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
so the pic of Teh Foof wearing a TB jacket... its like 2 atoms colliding and creating infinite energy?

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Someone understands me!

In my opinion you have a European edge to your dressing. But, as you said you choose to wear a distinctly and purposeful American shoe with an American look. Why the juxtaposition?

dsmolken

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Irond Will
How are impractically short pant cuffs modernist?
Things which don't work at all in real life but which the designer can pretend are functional in theory are very modernist.

Nothing against Thom Browne, but I do have a lot against Le Corbusier and his ilk.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lghwr1041+caution-vomit-ahead-pavement-pizza-alert-poster.jpg

Respectfully..........

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
You think too much, the simple truth is that MFF just picks what he likes, then attempts to justify it with a lot of convulated reasoning.

Like most of us, BTW.

I really don't think so. Actually, Bluemagic's first post made a lot of sense to me.
In a postmodern society, where all rules are loosened or extinct, you make your own rules (like dressing in a uniform) because it gives your life a certain steadyness and reliability (it also relieves you in a way - not having to choose every morning) which, imho, is a very basic human need.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
& this is why I currently have a limited capsule wardrobe.. All my suits & shirts are the same cut, all the colors/patterns complement each other.

Hence I don't need a lot, when I want something new I make sure it fits in & decide what needs to go.

My shoes are all very similar as well..

Or is this my OCD..

Exhibit A: my wardrobe
L1000340.jpg
L1000339.jpg

& there is still room!

My next step is to replace all my HB suits with Chan.. Replace all shirts to solid white or blue.. Replace all ties to dark solid or patterned ties..

Shoes, will always have some variety but the shape to me consistent.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sander
I really don't think so. Actually, Bluemagic's first post made a lot of sense to me. In a postmodern society, where all rules are loosened or extinct, you make your own rules (like dressing in a uniform) because it gives your life a certain steadyness and reliability (it also relieves you in a way - not having to choose every morning) which, imho, is a very basic human need.
Hmmm. I purchase ties/shirts semi-randomly, placing emphasis on the 'exquisiteness' (i.e. a mixture of craftsmanship, rarity and personal appeal to me) of the item in question, with little regard to other items in my wardrobe. I then mix-and-match on the fly every morning, actually enjoying the uncertainty of it all. My only concessions are to 1. never go above 3.5" width for ties, 2. never to purchase 'standard' point-collar shirts (boredom enfleshed to me), or 3. shirts with collar points >3.25". What am I?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Someone understands me!

I understand you, dude.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads