or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Leather
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Leather - Page 2

post #16 of 23
Hmmm...after reading your description of her, it occurs that I may have seen her lurking about the countryside at night. And here I thought she was el chupacabra...silly me. But the pictures I took won't bring in any money.
post #17 of 23
Quote:
Quote:
(JLibourel @ April 13 2005,12:06) I just printed out that gargantuan piece on leather in the link Ron gave. It seems like everything you could wish to know about leather and then some. My one concern is that it comes from the classic 1911 edition of the Encyclopedia Britannica. Is there a possibility that it just might be a bit dated? I should imagine that there has been some technological progress in tanning procedures, etc., in the past 94 years.
As anyone who has seen "Born Rich" can tell you, they dumbed down the EB to make more money from poor people. All the articles were better in the old days. At least in the opinion of Cody Franchetti, the Italian textile heir/clotheshorse/obnoxious snob.
Yes, well: A) He strikes me as an idiot; get a job buddy. Doesn't matter if you don't need the money, spending ALL day, everyday at the tailors without actually making a suit is a wasted life B) He is the Italian Ernest Jon.
post #18 of 23
Quote:
Hmmm...after reading your description of her, it occurs that I may have seen her lurking about the countryside at night. And here I thought she was el chupacabra...silly me. But the pictures I took won't bring in any money.
"Chupacabra"...? Bigfoot would be more like it. On reflection, the Bigfoot/Sasquatch, if they do exist, must be relatively peaceable critters, stomping around the Pacific Northwest (or wherever...they've been reported from all over the place) all these centuries and no record of their attacking anybody ever. Whatever epithets I might apply to my ex, "peaceable critter" would be one of the least appropriate.
post #19 of 23
Quote:
At least in the opinion of Cody Franchetti, the Italian textile heir/clotheshorse/obnoxious snob.
If you really want to ruin his day, next time you see him, suggest his jacket gorge is much too low, making him look like a waiter in a restaurant. Grayson
post #20 of 23
Quote:
Quote:
At least in the opinion of Cody Franchetti, the Italian textile heir/clotheshorse/obnoxious snob.
If you really want to ruin his day, next time you see him, suggest his jacket gorge is much too low, making him look like a waiter in a restaurant. Grayson
Laughing my ass off (the trick is to get Bill Clinton to tell him they are bound to run into each other sometime) Jon.
post #21 of 23
Quote:
I just printed out that gargantuan piece on leather in the link Ron gave. It seems like everything you could wish to know about leather and then some. My one concern is that it comes from the classic 1911 edition of the Encyclopedia Britannica. Is there a possibility that it just might be a bit dated? I should imagine that there has been some technological progress in tanning procedures, etc., in the past 94 years.
But hardly any improvement in the encyclopedia writing itself, I would think.  the 1911 edition is a massive compendium and product of Victorian achievement, grandeur and ambition. edit: sorry, the above fact was addressed by subsequent replies.
post #22 of 23
How about snake?
post #23 of 23
Any of the reptile hides, sharkskin or frogskin must be laminated to another leather to be practical. I once questioned Tony Gaziano about this on the Andy Forum and he informed me that Edward Green uses kid to bond with these exotic leathers for their shoes. I have a small holster made of frogskin bonded to a horsehide substrate. That frogskin might make an interesting pair of shoes, exotic but not too flashy. If I had the equipment and the know-how (neither of which I have), I'd post a picture of my frogskin holster.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Leather