or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Contemporary home architecture
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Contemporary home architecture - Page 5

post #61 of 78
Noted modernist architect Charles Gwathmey dead today at 71
post #62 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenHero View Post
You stupidity



lulz
post #63 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Wang View Post
You don't like the Frost Tower?


I do, I didn't know the name of it.
post #64 of 78
I really liked my time in Austin and am seriously considering buying a vacation property. I looked at the W building, Four Seasons, and that Spring one.

I like full amenity buildings but I'd also like to see if there isn't something architecturally interesting. All of those buildings are incredibly generic so I wonder if there's maybe some beautiful old bank that's been converted? I would love something with lovely stone work, wood and something like a tin roof. Does anyone know of something?

I must say that if the Driskill was selling residences I would consider it if it fit in my budget.
post #65 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by grundletaint View Post


lulz

I've been served. Got the wireless keyboard on the fritz and the spell check ignored it.
post #66 of 78
i don't think you're gonna have much luck finding that kind of thing since most of that stuff is used for commercial things or already taken. there's a building, the stratford arms, that sandra bullock's BESS BISTRO is built in you could look into; not sure of the use now and it definitely won't have amenities. if you want to be downtown, the brown building is older, but more like an apartment building. there's a damn cool bar in it, though. are you looking into downtown specifically? downtown living is relatively new in austin and has only really taken off in the past decade at most.
post #67 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by grundletaint View Post
i don't think you're gonna have much luck finding that kind of thing since most of that stuff is used for commercial things or already taken.

there's a building, the stratford arms, that sandra bullock's BESS BISTRO is built in you could look into; not sure of the use now and it definitely won't have amenities.

if you want to be downtown, the brown building is older, but more like an apartment building. there's a damn cool bar in it, though.

are you looking into downtown specifically?

Yes probably downtown. I think one day I'd like to live in the hills, but I don't have the kind of money to have the kind of property I'd want for how long I plan on staying there out of the year (about 3 months).
post #68 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by SField View Post
Yes probably downtown. I think one day I'd like to live in the hills, but I don't have the kind of money to have the kind of property I'd want for how long I plan on staying there out of the year (about 3 months).
if i were you, i'd definitely go with location above anything else then. i chose the spring building because it has a lot of privacy, great views, good amenities, and is in walking distance to pretty much everything (city's best grocery, record, and book stores are all within a block as well as great bars and restaurants). it's also still close to the freeway so it's easy to get around in a car, too. 4 seasons is gonna be expensive but really nice. i don't think things are boding well for the W right now and it's definitely gonna draw the AmJack crowd.
post #69 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenHero View Post
The Glass House uses modern technology (large scale glass panes and minimal steel structure) to limit the visual obstruction between a home owner and nature. What you don't get is a suffocating faux historical revival home that is outdated in both construction technique and function (unused dining rooms, small living room etc.). Instead you get abundant sunlight that varies in tone and angles 365 days of the year with no need for artificial daylighting, a serene view of the outdoors, and a quiet machine for functional and healthy living. Or a bus stop as you comprehend. I'd take it any day over the assumed lifeless piece of shit you're probably living in.
That "house" isn't warm and homey. I couldn't imagine who would want to live there.
post #70 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by grundletaint View Post

4 seasons is gonna be expensive but really nice. i don't think things are boding well for the W right now and it's definitely gonna draw the AmJack crowd.

Yes that's true, but that's something I really don't know about Austin. You see, a lot of the crowd that makes Austin what it is, couldn't afford to live in the W or Four Seasons, and there certainly are enough guido-amjack douchebags in Austin to fill both buildings, so I don't know if I'm totally going to go by where the cool people are living at. You raise a valid concern but I don't know that it would be too different from building to building.
post #71 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt View Post
That "house" isn't warm and homey. I couldn't imagine who would want to live there.

+1

Would look but not touch.
post #72 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by SField View Post
Yes that's true, but that's something I really don't know about Austin. You see, a lot of the crowd that makes Austin what it is, couldn't afford to live in the W or Four Seasons, and there certainly are enough guido-amjack douchebags in Austin to fill both buildings, so I don't know if I'm totally going to go by where the cool people are living at. You raise a valid concern but I don't know that it would be too different from building to building.
well with the W, you're right in the thick of the 2nd street district (cheesy neo-urbanites), austin city limits will be taped there, and there will undoubtedly be a bar scene. it's not necessarily who will be able to afford a place there as much as the type of crowd it's gonna draw on a nightly basis. i'm also hearing that the outlook isn't too promising as far as pre-sales and (don't quote me) but i think the developer was in some hot water recently. on the plus side, it's right in the middle of everything and the concierge will be a cool feature. it may be a pretty good spot for 3 months out of the year.
Quote:
Amenities - Concierge: Y - Pool: Y - Gym: Y - Parking: Y - Owners of W Austin Residences will have full use of all the hotel's facilities as well as access to 24-hour room service, daily housekeeping service and concierge services and a spa in the building. Whatever, Whenever service provides the closets thing to a personal butler: call them to shop for groceries, take a dog for a walk, fix a flat tire, of pick-up take out on your behalf.
post #73 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by grundletaint View Post
well with the W, you're right in the thick of the 2nd street district (cheesy neo-urbanites), austin city limits will be taped there, and there will undoubtedly be a bar scene. it's not necessarily who will be able to afford a place there as much as the type of crowd it's gonna draw on a nightly basis. i'm also hearing that the outlook isn't too promising as far as pre-sales and (don't quote me) but i think the developer was in some hot water recently.

on the plus side, it's right in the middle of everything and the concierge will be a cool feature. it may be a pretty good spot for 3 months out of the year.

Whatever whenever isn't like the greatest idea ever. I'm sure that you pay for it, and as such you could have it anyway.
post #74 of 78
This just in: RIP Charles Gwathmey.
post #75 of 78
^well, no. Not really. But RIP nonetheless. (Is there any way to determine how many people have me on their ignore list? I mean in more detail than simply, "Most".)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Contemporary home architecture