or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Boat shoes - for the young folks?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Boat shoes - for the young folks? - Page 5

post #61 of 110
I only wear a wife-beater when I'm ready to beat the wife.
post #62 of 110
I think they look good as long as there is not too much shoe lace flopping around
post #63 of 110
I like these for us younger folks

post #64 of 110
I'm sixteen and i rock sperrys.
post #65 of 110
I was wearing Sperry's at sixteen... now I'm seventeen and wearing my Quoddy's every other day. Boat shoes are classic, anyone can wear em.
post #66 of 110
i work in the boating industry, and I'm pretty much on or around a boat 1/2 my workweek. That is my fantastic alibi.
post #67 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by why View Post
It's like this: 1. Man wears a shirt to go hunting and notices the shoulder is torn 2. Man sees need to reinforce his shooting shoulder 3. Man reinforces the shooting shoulder with a leather patch 4. The hunting shirt is born So the hunting shirt is basically...a shirt with an added patch to make it more accomodating for hunting. Take off the patch and you've got a shirt. Now with boat shoes: 1. Man wears loafers on boat 2. Man notices it's difficult to get in and out of loafers on boat 3. Man has special shoes made with a different lacing style to get his wet feet in and out of the shoes quickly 4. The boat shoe is born So the boat shoe is...a loafer with a different lacing style. Both have non-aesthetic functional elements that I don't think are pervasive enough to not look odd in mainstream culture. They don't necessarily add anything to the clothing they're on besides a functional element. When that functional element is no longer needed, there's really no reason for it to be worn.
Boat shoes have nothing to do with ease of getting on and off since the point is to actually wear them on the boat... the difference if you actually care lies in the sole which typically is non-marking razor cut (the wavy cut marks on the bottom of your shoes) so as to provide traction on a wet boat deck. eg. of a laceless boat shoe- http://www.boatersworld.com/product/185241890msk.htm I don't ascribe to your philosophy that a function of a garment that you are not utilizing somehow revokes that piece of clothing's reason for being worn. Sometimes it just looks cool and it having a detail that actually has a historical function adds authenticity that I for one enjoy.
post #68 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETW View Post
I like these for us younger folks


A running shoe base with a boat shoe upper? Very ugly.
post #69 of 110
Not for me.
post #70 of 110
For the record, I also own a pair of these:



For $25, I'm happy with them.
post #71 of 110
I live in north carolina, and they are huge here. Specifically the Sperry Billfish model. On both the upper class university frat kids and everyone else. I swear I see like a fourth of the girls wearing them at the local community college I am attending. Far more girls are wearing them at this point than guys. Its weird.
post #72 of 110
Boats n' Hoes
post #73 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by why View Post
No, my reason for not wearing something is because it has non-aesthetically-pleasing functional elements that serve no purpose for me. It's poseurish.

You can disagree if you want. I'll be wearing my landlubbing loafers.

I have to admit that I had similar thoughts. However, I'm planning to buy some moccs, and since I'm not doing any trekking or hunting with them, well, you know where that leaves me. Poserish in a similar but TOTALLY different and better way.
post #74 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkennett View Post
Boat shoes have nothing to do with ease of getting on and off since the point is to actually wear them on the boat... the difference if you actually care lies in the sole which typically is non-marking razor cut (the wavy cut marks on the bottom of your shoes) so as to provide traction on a wet boat deck.

What do you think the side lacing is for?
post #75 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by cldpsu View Post
I disagree that functionality doesn't necessarily add anything to clothing besides a functional element.

Totally missed my point.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Boat shoes - for the young folks?