Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Shoes with higher arches
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shoes with higher arches

post #1 of 5
Thread Starter 
I'm currently having some heel pain and would like to know which brands of shoes generally have higher arches. I know this is a general term, but the Allen Edmonds I usually wear seem to be rather flat, and unsupportive. What do you think, oh and I cant go bespoke, I wish. Thanks.
post #2 of 5
Shuman, this issue was discussed extensively about 8 or 10 months ago either here or on AA. I just searched both sites and can't seem to locate it unfortunately; maybe someone else will have better luck. I have lots of experience with this topic, as I had a heel spur in one of my heels for about a year and a half. I won't go into prevention of them, but I wanted to convey that I am convinced it was the addition of arch supports to ALL of my shoes that elminated the problem for me. That said, the only shoes I've found that have any (much less good/decent) arch supports built in are Vass shoes. I've got a pair of the beautiful U-Last chukka boots and they have all the arch support I need. It helps that they have a narrow waist. Otherwise, I found arch supports at my local shoe repair store, and I've seen the same brand/type at several other shoe repair stores/dry cleaners around DC. The brand is the only one I've seen that isn't plastic or foam -- it's actually got perforated leather across the top, with some kind of white material beneath. They have peel off adhesive underneath. The first time I put them in a pair of my shoes, it was positively a revelation -- much more comfortable. And, to boot, the heel spur pain was 100% eliminated about 2 or 3 weeks later. By the way, a couple of other things I did and that were recommended by my doctor: go barefoot as infrequently as possible; laceup shoes are far better to wear than slipons (or any other shoe that doesn't do a good job of holding the heel in place, such as sandals); install insoles (I like Allen Edmonds the best) in shoes that can fit them in order to "pad" the heel. Good luck.
post #3 of 5
Mr Shuman,   Have you ever considered going with custom made orthotics please?   You would not be hampered in your choice of shoes to styles or brands specifically with higher arches nor will you have to "retire" your present shoes.  Due to an inherant problem of my wifes family, I have become most familar with the different offerings in orthotics over the years. ( All the men either require or have had corrective foot  surgery. Too, it even affects some of the females. Naturally, my daughter was one of the "lucky few". Almost all have worn, or still wear at present, orthotics. This is even after the varying degrees of surgery in many cases)  With the progress in the overall design and material offerings of todays orthotic inserts, you can get amazingly strong and supportive inserts that have excellent breathability.  They are extremely light weight.Too, the cost has dropped considerably over the years compared to the increase in strength, comfort and overall durability.   I have seen firsthand that in a very short period of time,  the changing the inserts from shoe to shoe becomes second nature. Family members say "the not hurting so badly" is a VERY good incentive and conditioner to form the habit The orthotics are stuctured to your individual foot not the shoe. For the retail cost of only a few pairs of shoes ( depending on your need) you can have custom support in all the shoes you wear.  The turn around time on the manufacture of the orthotics themswelves can be as little as 7-10 days now, not the 1-2 months as it was when my daughter was young.  If you only require good arch support the manufacture time may be considerably less. I know of some specialists that design and make their own orthotic inserts for the patients. I even recall reading of a semi-custom orthotic kit one can purchase. You take a mold of your foot in some type of casting compound and ship it to the company. The maker can then build an othotic from the mold. (I recall reading about this a good while back. I have no idea in regard to quaility or cost or turn-around time to receiving the finished product .) Respectfully,   John G.
post #4 of 5
I highly recommend Birkenstock's supportive orthotic. It's 3/4 length with a heel cup, and doesn't affect the fit of your shoe too much. I like the allen edmonds one as well, but you have to up the shoe size by .5, otherwise they'll be too tight.
post #5 of 5
I would recommend seeing a podiatrist, they will present you with the best option for your situation. As other members have commented if the foot pain is prolonged or it is starting to affect other areas of your body, like your back (which it most likely will if it persists over time) custom made orthodics would be a good option. As a teenager I grew like a weed and my feet didn't provide me with enough support and I experienced a lot of lower back pain. I had custom made orthodics and the pain disappeared. A.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Shoes with higher arches