or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › The Architecture Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Architecture Thread - Page 190

post #2836 of 3422
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshcutgrass View Post

Quote:
The lamp over the dining table is all kinds of ugly.

Interior Design: MLK Studio / Meg Joannides

It doesn't change that its ugly.
post #2837 of 3422
Quote:
It doesn't change that its ugly.

But this way you can contact the person who is probably responsible for choosing it. And make sure you use the phrase "all kinds of ugly", as that will surely increase your professional credibility (not that anonymous internet chat forumers need any).

I would prefer you actually list the kinds of ugly it is. Not that I don't think it is ugly, but that I really can't see it well enough to judge all the kinds of ugly it is. Perhaps it just breaks a rule about multiple pendent applications I'm not aware of? I wasn't too keen on the kitchen/dining chairs, but since it was an architecture thread, I really didn't find it terribly relevant.

Sure...this house could be a total POS. But you know, people complain about the SH thing, but then so many treat threads as an audition for his replacement.
post #2838 of 3422
Speaking of infinity edges, that's actually one pool that might be improved by not having one. You can tell the client just wanted one because they're cool, regardless of the circumstances of this particular pool (as with a number of other features in that house).
post #2839 of 3422
Not into that house, I would prefer simpler elements such as the slatted stairs being a simple 1-1-1 and without the wavy cut in the wood. Material choices are good.
post #2840 of 3422
Quote:
Originally Posted by E,TF View Post

Speaking of infinity edges, that's actually one pool that might be improved by not having one. You can tell the client just wanted one because they're cool, regardless of the circumstances of this particular pool (as with a number of other features in that house).

Restraint would improve multiple aspects of this house. I made the pinterest remark because there are numerous elements that are striking on their own, but they seem to have little relation to each other or to the house as a whole. If I had seen those stairs on their own, for example, I never would have assumed they were part of that building. The heavy lines of the exterior are another puzzling element - they seem to create the volumes of the building but this idea is not carried through to the interior in any meaningful way. And covering those beautiful floors with that aircraft carrier sized flat grey rug is idiotic, though that isn't really a critque of the design.
post #2841 of 3422
Reminds me of a bad version of a lot of places I know well. But God damn is that bedroom dismal. Those lights are some of my favorites, but they even made them look like shit.
Edited by itsstillmatt - 2/26/14 at 8:10am
post #2842 of 3422
Quote:
Originally Posted by E,TF View Post

Speaking of infinity edges, that's actually one pool that might be improved by not having one. You can tell the client just wanted one because they're cool, regardless of the circumstances of this particular pool (as with a number of other features in that house).

word
post #2843 of 3422
This is probably just me being weird, but when they make a solid looking overhang and cantilevered areas I really dislike it when they extend the sides to meet them and maintain the same thickness. I like the look and utility of overhangs, but the supporting columns do not need to be fleshed out in the same manner, in my opinion.
post #2844 of 3422
Quote:
You can tell the client just wanted one because they're cool, regardless of the circumstances of this particular pool (as with a number of other features in that house).

That's exactly why I posted it here. Nothing about it fits my taste. But it's a project that is guaranteed to spawn critique.
post #2845 of 3422
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshcutgrass View Post

But this way you can contact the person who is probably responsible for choosing it. And make sure you use the phrase "all kinds of ugly", as that will surely increase your professional credibility (not that anonymous internet chat forumers need any).

I would prefer you actually list the kinds of ugly it is. Not that I don't think it is ugly, but that I really can't see it well enough to judge all the kinds of ugly it is. Perhaps it just breaks a rule about multiple pendent applications I'm not aware of? I wasn't too keen on the kitchen/dining chairs, but since it was an architecture thread, I really didn't find it terribly relevant.

Sure...this house could be a total POS. But you know, people complain about the SH thing, but then so many treat threads as an audition for his replacement.

I think he means ugly like your mom.
post #2846 of 3422
Quote:
Originally Posted by bourbonbasted View Post

That is the Range Rover of houses.

 

And that's why it's awesome.

post #2847 of 3422
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshcutgrass View Post

Quote:
It doesn't change that its ugly.

But this way you can contact the person who is probably responsible for choosing it. And make sure you use the phrase "all kinds of ugly", as that will surely increase your professional credibility (not that anonymous internet chat forumers need any).

I would prefer you actually list the kinds of ugly it is. Not that I don't think it is ugly, but that I really can't see it well enough to judge all the kinds of ugly it is. Perhaps it just breaks a rule about multiple pendent applications I'm not aware of? I wasn't too keen on the kitchen/dining chairs, but since it was an architecture thread, I really didn't find it terribly relevant.

Sure...this house could be a total POS. But you know, people complain about the SH thing, but then so many treat threads as an audition for his replacement.

Besides the fact is disproportionate to the table, I don't think the color of the wood suits the rest of the room and the overall shape of it?
post #2848 of 3422
Goes to show you need a good architect and a good client (like good bespoke needs both a tailor and client who know what they're doing. The sum is greater than its parts). Anyone who's ever commissioned an architect for any building work at all, even just a small extension or a refurb, knows exactly what a big role the client can and should take in any project.
post #2849 of 3422
Quote:
Goes to show you need a good architect and a good client

You're basing your theory that it's a "bad" client on your ESP abilities? My spidey sense are telling me he's a "happy" client.

And if we were to eliminate everyone who wanted something because it was "cool", Styleforum would have a grand total of about 23 members.
post #2850 of 3422
@ freshcutgrass, why are you being so petulant? You presented a building for critique and inevitably the critiques flowed forth.

Also, it matters not a jot how 'happy' the client is with his pile. No one here is interested in sophomoric arguments about subjectivity or relativism.

(Nota bene, I chose the world 'pile' intentionally for it's dual meaning of both 'a large building' and 'a haemorrhoid', and also as an allusion to the expression 'pile of shit'.)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › The Architecture Thread