or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › The Architecture Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Architecture Thread - Page 154

post #2296 of 3438
http://www.dezeen.com/2013/09/26/manta-ray-shaped-house-proposed-atop-an-arizona-mountain/

It looks more like a cockroach to me.
post #2297 of 3438
Henri Cleinge
Chemin Bord-du-Lac
Dorval, Quebec

Addition/renovation for 200-year-old house. Four generations of the family live in the house: Great-grandparents, grandparents, and children in the main house, parents in the addition.













post #2298 of 3438
Cool, SB. I like a lot of it, in particular the reworking of the older spaces is really beautiful. I also like the exterior shots where it transitions to the older space, and the materials are interesting. I am less enthusiastic about the cavernous main space in the modern wing. I really don't understand the balcony from the master suite to the living room. I guess the idea is to offer a view of the lakefront but it seems extremely impractical given that so many people live in the house.

I also don't understand how this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post




and this
Quote:

Can be the same house. Must be the perspective. Here it looks like the modern wing is just overly massive - sort of a trick of the lens I am sure in terms of the height but I think it reveals some truth nonetheless.

I also would have done the pool in more traditional materials, though I can see how that would be less pure of a vision. I don't think the pool works for me though.
post #2299 of 3438
Disclaimer: the preceding opinion was submitted by a philistine.
post #2300 of 3438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post

http://www.dezeen.com/2013/09/26/manta-ray-shaped-house-proposed-atop-an-arizona-mountain/

It looks more like a cockroach to me.

I thought this was pretty lame but then I saw this



and realized that I must be wrong because the owner of this house would clearly have to be

TOTALLY AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!

DUELING LAMBOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111
post #2301 of 3438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post

Cool, SB. I like a lot of it, in particular the reworking of the older spaces is really beautiful. I also like the exterior shots where it transitions to the older space, and the materials are interesting. I am less enthusiastic about the cavernous main space in the modern wing. I really don't understand the balcony from the master suite to the living room. I guess the idea is to offer a view of the lakefront but it seems extremely impractical given that so many people live in the house.

I also don't understand how this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

and this

Can be the same house. Must be the perspective. Here it looks like the modern wing is just overly massive - sort of a trick of the lens I am sure in terms of the height but I think it reveals some truth nonetheless.

I also would have done the pool in more traditional materials, though I can see how that would be less pure of a vision. I don't think the pool works for me though.

The site from which I grabbed those pics speculated that the addition is essentially a private suite, so having the bedroom open to the living room (sitting area?) isn't a problem. Made sense to me, although I'm not sure I would have made the same choice.

I think the apparent size of the addition in the second pic is a result of a wide-angle lens and distorted perspective.

I like wood around a pool because it doesn't get as hot as concrete or stone. I don't think I would use a pool enough to justify the expense, but I'm not rich, so who knows?
post #2302 of 3438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post

I also don't understand how this:

Depth perspective.
post #2303 of 3438
I think that is all computer generated, so no lens involved, no building involved. I could be wrong, but it looks like a mock up and thus can sort of be anything at all times.
post #2304 of 3438
I'm not sure people are getting to good with computers now a days.

If its real its the big square box playing a trick on our eyes, as the sloping roof makes it look larger, do it being closer to the camera.
post #2305 of 3438
post #2306 of 3438

Win.

 

lefty

post #2307 of 3438
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsstillmatt View Post

I think that is all computer generated, so no lens involved, no building involved. I could be wrong, but it looks like a mock up and thus can sort of be anything at all times.


Found an article about the house and I was right.

http://www.domusweb.it/content/domusweb/en/architecture/2013/09/04/the_bord_du_lac_project_by_henri_cleinge.html
post #2308 of 3438
Looking at this, I wish I lived somewhere, where pools makes sense.




post #2309 of 3438
wow, i like that, a lot.
post #2310 of 3438
That's cool.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › The Architecture Thread