or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › "The Rake" magazine
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"The Rake" magazine - Page 21

post #301 of 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchris1313 View Post
Certainly there's no shortage of advertisements, but most are attractive, the items are expensive, and the paper is so thick that the ads don't really convey that "cheap" vibe I instinctively sense when paging through flimsy Captain Morgan ads.

It was not as much the ads that I'm whining about, but rather the infomercial/shill tone of many of the editorial parts. e.g. that Hugo Boss HAND TAILORED LINE article.
post #302 of 563
I for one am looking forward to issue #7. They really need to come up with a better system of distribution though.
post #303 of 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post
It was not as much the ads that I'm whining about, but rather the infomercial/shill tone of many of the editorial parts. e.g. that Hugo Boss HAND TAILORED LINE article.

Agreed. That was a little disturbing, but I figured I'd at least try to give them the benefit of the doubt, even if they might not have deserved it. And of course I'm never going to buy Boss Hand Tailored anyway (admittedly for reasons of body composition as much as any).

But we'll see how many more infomercialesque articles show up on the next few issues. Ultimately, we're only locked into 6 issues per subscription cycle (at the bargain price of $130!)
post #304 of 563
I find the Hugo Boss info commercial far less disturbing than photoshopping new clothing on vintage photos. I mean Sinatra in Armani? Forgettaboutit!
post #305 of 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy View Post
I find the Hugo Boss info commercial far less disturbing than photoshopping new clothing on vintage photos. I mean Sinatra in Armani? Forgettaboutit!

That sucks too. Bad idea, well executed.
post #306 of 563
Is there anywhere in NYC to pick up the Rake? Sorry if this was asked already..
post #307 of 563
No.
post #308 of 563
To be honest I'm happy with my single issue for now. I read some earlier copies from my mate. It is a very, very nice magazine. But too much advertising for me.

Now I do have me some Boss stuff such as silk PS's and quality polo shirts which I'm very happy about but I'm not too fond of their suits and from what I'm reading now they're totally into their tailored lines which isn't really special. That's definately not worth my 30 bucks. Alot of nostalgic stuff going on too. Steve McQueen? Not my cup of tea. The most interesting sartorial stories are usually featured on their website, pics included.
It also seems to be focused on the nouveau East Asian market.

I wont subscribe and it's a sad thing to say but The Rake is going to become just another GQ so it seems..
post #309 of 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJman View Post
I am waiting on their trifold pictorial of MAFOOFAN -- Mr. January.
I'm pretty sure it doesn't take 3 pages to fit our dear MFF.

Indianboyz, - "it also seems to be focussed on the nouveau East Asian market", yes because every article written thus far has something to do with... East Asia?
post #310 of 563
I don't know it just gives me this vibe, talking about the 'compact' body types of Asian men etc. Besides alot of their models seem to be Asian.
post #311 of 563
^^^I think The Rake's based in Singapore so that comment makes sense.
post #312 of 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianBoyz View Post
I don't know it just gives me this vibe, talking about the 'compact' body types of Asian men etc. Besides alot of their models seem to be Asian.

well consideer The Rake is ment for Asian markets it kinda makes sense!
post #313 of 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianBoyz View Post
It is a very, very nice magazine. But too much advertising for me.

+1, but how else can they survive? In fact, I don't think it will survive for that much longer, unless the owner/s don't think of The Rake as a for-profit venture. Let's see.
post #314 of 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolecho View Post
+1, but how else can they survive? In fact, I don't think it will survive for that much longer, unless the owner/s don't think of The Rake as a for-profit venture. Let's see.

I feel a bit sorry for the guys who took a 2-year subscription.
post #315 of 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianBoyz View Post
I feel a bit sorry for the guys who took a 2-year subscription.
Then quit cheaping out and sign up for a subscription as well.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › "The Rake" magazine