• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do young women prefer casual looks over dress looks?

Interface

Reaction score
Take a random university student girl in her 20s looking for (or scouting for, or just in general looking at) a university student boy in his 20s. Is she more likely to fall for:

1) A boy who wears GAP-like casual clothes (chakis, casual shirt/sweater, sneakers, etc.).

2) A boy who wears double-pleated and cuffed dress pants, black dress shoes, dress shirts with a tie, and carries a briefcase for his schoolbooks.

3) Any variation of 2 you might want to consider, such as removing the cuffs and double-pleats.

Note that I'm talking about clothes the boy wears every day, not just on special occasions. And again, I'm talking about university students of age about 25.

In general what types do young women like that prefer? It seems that 1) are most common for boys these days but that doesn't mean we know what women think.

Eccentric

Reaction score
As in any such situation, it depends upon the woman. That said, your first choice seems the more common preference.

&Son

Reaction score
#1.

Just my guess as a broad generalization. It seems closer to the norm for that age and I think women are a lot less interested in men's clothing than those on this forum might believe. Remember, just being a woman doesn't automatically give her better taste or a better sense of style than a man, so why expect that they should all appreciate the "better" dressed man?

freefinancialadvice

Reaction score
Just start wearing a damn suit everyday already!

Anyway, if you plotted some kind of style graph for her Mating Cohort (men ages 20-30), you would see a bell curve. You would want to be +1 or +2 standard deviations from the mean in the positive direction. Anything farther than that may make you too weird. Unless you were able to pull it of Very Well, and whatever you wore made you very interesting, such as the method they try to use on the show "the Pickup Artist".

So make it interesting.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For student, I would go 1). But I think Holister or American Eagle is more hip than GAP.

PocketCircle

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
All young American girls seem to be into A&F wearing types.

freefinancialadvice

Reaction score
It also depends on what type of females you are trying to get. In college, I went the hippie style and wore dreadlocks, and actually pulled in a lot of upper class sorority girls because it was more interesting than all the douchebags in their cohort who wore pink polos and white hats.

Make it interesting.

Wear the suit everyday.

Interface

Reaction score
Originally Posted by freefinancialadvice
Wear the suit everyday.
Hehe you will never quit will you? I like you.
smile.gif

But man, I'm just considering a few possibilities that's all.

Finding it hard to make up my mind.

EricE.

Reaction score
depends on which girls you want to get
wink.gif

but most of the girls on my radar
biggrin.gif
are more into casual look, even though they do
love to see, if someone wears a nice coat and nice shoes and takes care of himself

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
In my experience (and I live in a college town) college-age girls prefer the guys in suits. We represent wealth, stability, and maturity.

Aside from that aspect, I've actually met a few girls that are turned on by giving oral to guys in their suits.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Would you be more interested in a woman who dressed in stylish, youthful clothes, or one who wore full-length dresses and old-lady blouses buttoned up to her neck? Which one do you think would be more fun to hang out with?

Beyond that, would you want to hang out with that dude who insists on wearing a tie and carrying a briefcase to class?

Think of your target audience, then go for the look most likely to attract it.

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems like every American college campus has at least one "suit" guy, who rolls to class in a suit and tie with a briefcase. I've never taken an official poll, but I don't get the sense that he generally pulls the ladies. I've never really understood this particular fashion choice. Also, I don't think pleated pants are ever going to do most men any favors. That said, there is a middle ground. Most students in the Boston area seem to find the jeans/flip-flops or Uggs (depending on season)/and North Face fleece to be a universally acceptable outfit for all circumstances. Dressing up need not mean dressing in dress slacks and a tie every day. Just paying attention to how your clothes fit will go a long way.

sammy

Reaction score
From my experience, a combination of casual and dressy worked well for me back in college. I would sometimes wear a tweed jacket with jeans and a turtleneck and other times go completely casual or full blown suit. Keep it interesting and unexpected. The key is to not dress FOR anyone but just be yourself. Self confidence is more attractive than anything you might wear. If your style and personality is more formal than casual, then be true to that. Trying too hard in either direction is unattractive no matter what you wear. Know thyself young man
teacha.gif

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads