• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nau (Eco Friendly Activewear and Outdoor Clothing)

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nau is back. Version 2.0. They officially reopened for business today, so visit their website (www.nau.com). For those who weren't familiar with them before, they tried to make sustainability an integral part of their business, from the fabrics to the manufacturing to the point-of-sale. I mostly like their outerwear. The rest of their pieces errs too much on the outdoorsy-technical side for my taste. I do like the bunny goat hoody, and would definitely cop that (on sale, since I'm near broke). Anyway, I remember a few other people being interested in this company and brand, so I figured I'd post a PSA. EDIT: Link fixed, thanks rapdancin

rapdancin

Reaction score
their 'riding jacket' looks interesting

also might want to fix the link in op to nau.com, the right parenthasee is included right now

jqbomb

Reaction score
very nice. glad to see they're back in business. i had a friend who picked up a few pieces and was really happy with them. i particularly liked that riding coat but missed my chance to buy one when they shut down operations. i had read they run out of funding, which i thought was very disappointing given the fact they appeared to be doing something drastically different than the rest of the outerwear industry.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think they initially started out too big with a few retail stores. It's great to see them back.

I have a couple jackets, a merino baselayer shirt, and some gloves from them and I absolutely love every piece. The fit tends to be slim and long (perfect for me), and their designs consider function and style more than any other gear manufacturer, in my opinion. The sustainability of their fabrics is a huge plus, but can sometimes require greater care (e.g., ironing will virtually destroy most of their outerwear materials). They usually have great end-of-season sales, which is when I have bought most of my stuff.

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Should also add that I have one Nau piece, a pair of their 'Loose But Not Slutty' jeans, I think from SS08? Good slim-ish straight jeans that I got in their liquidation sale back in May. My only jeans atm, actually, though I am saving up for something better.

I also noticed that they sell in retail now! Got this list from today's Off The Grid email...

The Lizard Lounge, Portland, OR
Unfurl, Manzanita, OR
Ellie's Eco Home Store, Boulder, CO
Connect, Chicago, IL
Uncle Dans - North Lincoln St., Chicago, IL
Uncle Dans - Southport Ave., Chicago, IL
Uncle Dans - Church St., Evanston, IL
Paragon Sports, New York, NY
Sangre de Cristo Mountain Works, Sante Fe, NM
Ann Arbor Bivouac, Ann Arbor, MI
Norsehouse Ski & Sport, Bondville, VT
Jack Dennis Sports, Jackson Hole, WY

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, instead of having exclusively Nau shops, they'll sell in existing outdoor gear shops- a much wiser business decision.

fudgebutt

Reaction score
There needs to be more nau/lululemon type manufacturers out there babies.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
The 'blazing jacket' seems nice, but I just don't really feel like paying a $100 premium over patagonia.

vivalet

Reaction score
I went on a nau buying binge during the liquidation of the nau 1.0 when it looked like they would not return.

Their clothes are great. no logos, interesting cuts and materials. The sleeves are extra long, which is a plus for me. The only thing I do not like about some of them is the zipper pull. On some items the dangling aluminum pull looks flimsy and I don't like the way it hangs. Would prefer their small black zipper pull that stays in line with the zipper that they have on some items. I am looking into getting the offending pulls replaced.

I have the riding jacket, it is very nice, except for that zipper pull. Their best item is the courier windshirt, which is not available right now. I have two, and if they bring it back I will get another, would like one in brown.

When they have another big sale, I just may buy some more!

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vivalet
When they have another big sale, I just may buy some more!

Well, you just missed a 30% off all items sale that ended on Monday. It was nice. If it weren't for Christmas shopping I'd have jumped on the cashmere-angora hoodie and a down jacket.

vivalet

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ahjota
Well, you just missed a 30% off all items sale that ended on Monday. It was nice. If it weren't for Christmas shopping I'd have jumped on the cashmere-angora hoodie and a down jacket.
I got those emails, but 30 is not enough! 50 is the new 30. 70 is the new 50!

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got those emails, but 30 is not enough!
No kidding! Everything was still too much for me. I'm enjoying my Merino zip T and down shirt during the snowy day today. I got the merino zip t and some super nice gloves at 75% off during that liquidation sale. They usually do a 50% end of season sale.

berlin report

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got those emails, but 30 is not enough!

50 is the new 30. 70 is the new 50!

and this is why companies go under...
frown.gif

Racove

Reaction score
Well, I'm new to Nau, but I like it. Picked up the blazing jacket and its been good to me so far. i like the cuts & practicality of their pieces. the outerwear sleeves are a bit longer than average, but they angle them in a way (designed for better coverage biking/skiing/etc) that they suit shorter arm lengths OK.

lizmasc

Reaction score
I wan't very familiar with them, though they have some nice outfits there. So they seemed to have gotten quite the sales when they were close to shutting down but they didn't? So they re-opened again with the profit they did from that
eh.gif
smiley2.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 84 38.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.3%

Forum statistics

Threads