• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me with exercise/eating plan

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So my New Year's resolution is to begin a serious workout & "eating better" regimen. I'm not really fat (I have a small gut) but I'm out of shape. No muscle.

How should I go about exercising? How much time should be given to cardio, how many reps and sets for strength training? I have access to all kinds of machines and facilities so suggest anything. My ultimate goal is to lose maybe 10 lbs. and bulk up.

As for eating: I'm starting to like the idea of protein shakes or superfoods. I generally ********. Cereal, bagel or breakfast sandwich in the AM; big old sandwich or something like that in the PM; pasta/meat/burrito/etc. for dinner. I want to cut down my calorie intake without feeling hungry all the time.

Please help, I'm sick of looking so blah.

spence

Reaction score
Plenty of good info on exercise online, but the key when starting out is simply to do something...

I'm not into complicated diets. Protien shake first thing in the morning and just after you exercise is a good thing. Eat small healthy snacks throughout the day. Don't eat late at night and minimize your carbs.

Another thing I do is just to eat everything green I can, and if there's any room left I don't feel guilty.

-spence

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
was just a beginner's thread on here. look there.

3-4 sessions of weights per week, stick to big, basic movements like chins, squats, bench, deadlifts, dips

do :30 mins of cardio 4x a week. 2 times slow at a high incline, 2 HIIT sessions.

eat a gram of protein per lb. of weight. get most of your food from whole/real foods. shakes are a good supplement but not a replacement.

stick to a ratio of 40% carbs, 40$ protein, 20% fat.

best supplements for the $ are fish oil, creatine, whey/cassein blend, and green tea extract

have 5-7 meals a day, SMALL meals, and eat every 2.5-3 hours.

Scarampella

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
So my New Year's resolution is to begin a serious workout & "eating better" regimen. I'm not really fat (I have a small gut) but I'm out of shape. No muscle.

How should I go about exercising? How much time should be given to cardio, how many reps and sets for strength training? I have access to all kinds of machines and facilities so suggest anything. My ultimate goal is to lose maybe 10 lbs. and bulk up.

As for eating: I'm starting to like the idea of protein shakes or superfoods. I generally ********. Cereal, bagel or breakfast sandwich in the AM; big old sandwich or something like that in the PM; pasta/meat/burrito/etc. for dinner. I want to cut down my calorie intake without feeling hungry all the time.

Please help, I'm sick of looking so blah.

I think whole foods are the most important thing you can do for yourself. Good luck and I hope it works out.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see a problem with this plan because it involves less drinking.

I give it 3 weeks tops.

Edit:

And now he's getting a blender for frozen daiquiris...

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've actually reduced my booze intake pretty drastically. Started in October...I'm now having a few drinks a week, sometimes not a single one for days. No real weight loss though. I think I've started eating more to muffle my body's piercing screams for alcohol
laugh.gif

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found this post on an old thread. http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...9&postcount=10
Now this may sound a little crazy but my girlfriend's an anorexic and she's about 1.70 metres tall, 40 kilograms. She's very thin and extremely cautious about her weight. I'm not about saying that what she does is healthy or anything or I recommend you becoming an anorexic but there are a couple of good tips to learn from them when it comes to fast weight loss. 1. Drink 2 glasses of iced water BEFORE eating. This will make you fuller(thus eating less) and your body burns more calories to warm up the temperature in your stomach. 2. Diet pills: Try Xenical or Reductil or any product with Hoodia. Works like a charm. 3. Be conscious about your weight. Avoid Macdonalds, Wendys, Carl. Jrs... start checking out that organic farm product store or try Subway instead(they have calorie listings of their sandwiches, Veggie Delight is the lightest: 226 calories) 4. Eat only twice a day. No more than 500 calories. 5. If tempted to eat, then chew the food in your mouth, savour the taste; then SPIT IT OUT. This helps deal with the frustation from dieting and enjoy the food at the same time, without the weight gain. 6. Avoid CARBS. Its disgusting and piles up on your thighs. Avoid rice, pasta, bread, etc. 7. Clear your fridge of everything! Go shopping at a gourmet supermarket. Keeping expensive food in your fridge will make you more conscious about eating them, thus eating less. 8. Because of the vitamin-deficient diet tips mentioned above, remember to take 2 multi-vitamin pills 2 hours BEFORE the DIET pills. Hope that helps.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07

3-4 sessions of weights per week, stick to big, basic movements like chins, squats, bench, deadlifts, dips

do :30 mins of cardio 4x a week. 2 times slow at a high incline, 2 HIIT sessions.

This will kill the chubby little dude inside of three weeks. The bounceback will knock him into ***** Arbuckle territory.

sjff_03_img0926.jpg

Nobody wants that.

Conne, Starting Strength or New Rules of Lifting. Start slow and add cardio after a few months. Track your calories and put the ******* fork down. Reassess after three months.

Didn't you make this same post last year?

lefty

daft

Reaction score
1.70cm tall at 40 kilogram's is impossible. i don't think even ethiopians are that skinny.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
please don't stand in the way of my attempts at killing conne.

Originally Posted by lefty
This will kill the chubby little dude inside of three weeks. The bounceback will knock him into ***** Arbuckle territory.

sjff_03_img0926.jpg

Nobody wants that.

Conne, Starting Strength or New Rules of Lifting. Start slow and add cardio after a few months. Track your calories and put the ******* fork down. Reassess after three months.

Didn't you make this same post last year?

lefty

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by daft
1.70cm tall at 40 kilogram's is impossible. i don't think even ethiopians are that skinny.

I didn't think they were that short either.
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
please don't stand in the way of my attempts at killing conne.
Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have. The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming. Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid. lefty

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are in college, you have youth on your side. I would not alter my eating at all, just exercise more.

Go 3x a week to the gym. Have a goal, something cheesy like "I want to be able to run for 40 minutes" or "I want to be able to do 15 pulllups". Doesn't matter what, just track your progress.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Conne, not to rain on your good intention but we have been here before, no?

Third time is a charm, perhaps?
colgate.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads