• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rethinking the thrift shop habit

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hahahaha. if they go to the salvation army, then they probably go to ebay as well. no wonder that vintage Brioni jacket smelled so funny
confused.gif

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It does, however, eliminate the dilemma my poor wife would face when it comes time to send me to the crematorium. One would presume she'd want me to meet my maker in one of my favorite suits, although I know the thought of several hundred dollars worth of wool burning up would drive her batty. Now she can have me dressed in my finest, and not lose a moments sleep while she waits for the insurance checks to start pouring in.

Does make one wonder though: if the suit I'm sent to the oven with is, ultimately, donated to the Salvation Army, could my wife take one last tax deduction for the rather sizable donation it would represent?

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Pretty funny. I'm sure the lines are long for those non-flammable suits, a nice polyester/asbestos blend.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I always thought they cut the clothes down the back to facilitate things. I have found plenty of suits I wouldn't be caught dead in...

BTW, IIRC, formaldehyde is used both in the fabric/clothing trade (hence the expression 'mad as a hatter', and the spacey expressions on fabric store employees' faces) and embalming. Ashes to ashes, and all that.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Actually J... the term Mad As A Hatter was used to describe the advanced stages of Mercury poisoning brought on by the most popular fur treatment in the mid 1800's "carroting". Mercury Nitrate was brushed on to cheaper furs and smoothed out by hand, as cheaper furs didn't mat easily and were usually not uniformly dense. Mercury Nitrate poisoning causes a variety of fun symptoms like twitching uncontrollably, tooth and memory loss, slurred speech, depression and extreme anxiety.

Finer furs, like beaver, have serrated edges, easily mat, and are generally more uniform in density, thus they don't require carroting. Only the finest hat makers could afford beaver fur however, and the rest were unfortunately driven mad, and eventually killed by their craft.

marc37

Reaction score
l always wanted to be a funeral director, ever sinse l was a little kid. Gr8 storey.

Regards: shooman.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(j @ Jan. 25 2005,20:25) I always thought they cut the clothes down the back to facilitate things.
I think that is an urban legend.
It would, however, explain the 30-1/2" center vent in the back of my new blazer.
smile.gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Actually J... the term Mad As A Hatter was used to describe the advanced stages of Mercury poisoning brought on by the most popular fur treatment in the mid 1800's "carroting". Mercury Nitrate was brushed on to cheaper furs and smoothed out by hand, as cheaper furs didn't mat easily and were usually not uniformly dense. Mercury Nitrate poisoning causes a variety of fun symptoms like twitching uncontrollably, tooth and memory loss, slurred speech, depression and extreme anxiety.

Finer furs, like beaver, have serrated edges, easily mat, and are generally more uniform in density, thus they don't require carroting. Only the finest hat makers could afford beaver fur however, and the rest were unfortunately driven mad, and eventually killed by their craft.
Oh yeah. I had probably heard that. Well, in any case, formaldehyde is used in fabric manufacturing, and you can feel its effects (I can, anyway) by wandering around in a fabric store for a while. I get a headache and start feeling dizzy within 15 minutes or so.

fkl118

Reaction score
Formaldehyde... reminds me of undergrad gross anatomy.
crazy.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads