• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking to buy Burberry duffle coat: need advice, alternatives

SwedishFish

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm in the market for a new duffle coat and I have essentially decided on Burberry's wool duffle coat. However, I can't decide what color I want. I've seen three different colors for sale in the U.S.: denim blue, camel and grey (pics below). Right now I am leaning toward the denim blue... but I am worried that it will quickly lose its novelty. I like the camel the least, mainly because I think it will make me look too pale--I'm fair skinned and blonde. What do y'all think?

My other qualm with the Burberry coat is the price: $1095.00. I set a maximum budget for myself at $1000, but I figured that another 100 bucks will be worth it for me to get what I want. However, if any of you know of good alternatives to the Burberry duffle coat, please let me know. My only requirements are: a collar (necessary) and a detachable hood (preferred but not necessary). The coat I am buying will replace one that I have had since 2001 and will ideally last as long.

Thanks!

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Burberry is the OG outerwear brand and makes some very nice pieces (i'm absolutely in love with many of the Prorsum pieces). Many people will tell you (correctly) that a lot of what you are paying for is the brand name - but if you can afford it I don't think there's anything wrong with that. If you want something a little more novel - the Rag and Bone overcoats that Mauro got in are very cool. If I had a big budget, I would definitely pick one up as my outerwear for the season. He also got some very cool Spurr (former Ralph Lauren designer) pieces.

progressiveminded

Reaction score
I've heard, thirdhand, some nice things about Gloverall duffles. Sierra Trading Post had them the last time I looked: check them out and see if they might suit your needs for a fraction of the price of the Burberry.

SwedishFish

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who has responded. I've considered Gloverall, but have decided against their coats because they resemble my old duffle coat and I want something different looking. Like I said in the first post, I would really like a duffle coat with a collar... given that requirement, can you think of any alternatives to Burberry? Magician: I liked the look if the Rag and Bone coat on that blog. However, since I share my time between Sweden and Maine, I definitely need something woolen... the Rag and Bone one was cotton. The Spurr pea coat is gorgeous, but far too expensive @ $2196
frown.gif

SwedishFish

Reaction score
I just noticed that J Crew has released their new line of fall and winter coats online. I kind of like the Sutherland topcoat in herringbone. A J Crew coat obviously wouldn't outlast a Burberry coat, but then again, the price is way better: $368.00.

What do you think about the J Crew coat? What are your experiences with J Crew outerwear in general?

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brooks Brothers typically has duffles with collars.

SwedishFish

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
Brooks Brothers typically has duffles with collars.

You're right! I also had a vague memory of seeing collared duffles in previous collections, but browsing the website I didn't spot any duffle coats. I just might be blind, but I still can't find their duffles when I browse the men's section. However, when I searched the site for "duffle coat" I came up with a very decent looking coat that retails for $598.00. Only thing I really dislike about it is the zipper. I also find the fit in the picture rather unflattering--I'd prefer a more fitted coat.

I'm still liking the Burberry more, but this is definitely a contender.

Does anybody have insights to share as to the sizing of Brooks Brothers coats?

SwedishFish

Reaction score
gawkrodger: Thanks for the tip re the Barbour Contemporary collection duffle--perfect in terms of style and price. Only problem is that I can't seem to find an online retailer in the U.S. that carries it. Does anyone know if there are any U.S retailers that get the entire Barbour line? I do all my shopping online/mail-order as doing it in person, in real stores, involves driving three hours one-way to Boston and I'm too lazy for that, plus I hate big cities. Let's just say that there's a reason most country folk dress awfully...

There is a Burberry outlet store not too far away from where I am. Has anyone seen duffle coats in their outlet stores? If so, do you know if the item(s) was last year's stuff or a separate outlet store line?

Scoobersti

Reaction score
I've seen the duffle coats in the Burberry outlet stores in few different occasions, but I don't go there too often or have too much knowledge about Burberry's lines, so I can't really comment on if they were past season stuff or an outlet line sorry.

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if there's a BB outlet near you, i recently saw an outlet store with a large selection of duffle and duffle like coats

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads