• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Critique two New Custom Shirts! (Tailorstore.com)

stephen

Reaction score
Apparently, I'm feeling masochistic today... Thought I'd go ahead and seek some feedback on these recent custom shirt orders. This was a follow-up order to tailorstore.com after getting some feedback from a shirt I posted here. Here are the measurements (and the changes I made from the previous order): Neck: 15.5" Chest: 40.5" Waist: 31.3" (+0.8" from 30.5") Hips: 35.5" (+1.0" from 34.5") Back: 19.5" Arm Length: 29" (-1.0" from 30") Cuffs: 7.2" (-0.3" from 7.5") Biceps: 12.5" Length: 30" (+1.0" from 29") I really like these shirts... I think I still might need to take another inch off the "arm length" measurement (See the photo where the cuffs are unbuttoned and it falls fairly low on my hand). Possibly also move up the "Hips" measurement by 1/2 an inch. Any other suggestions?
img0004nk2.jpg
img0002vm3.jpg
img0003ey1.jpg
img0007qy4.jpg
img0011qm6.jpg
img0009pp2.jpg
img0010sn8.jpg
img0008ev9.jpg

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the fit of the shirts. I would shorten the arm length another half an inch or so. It looks good otherwise.

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Overall, this looks like a good fit to me. But I would bring the shoulders in if I were you. They look like they're falling off the sides of your own shoulders, and it's causing some weird bunching in the armpit area on front and back. Other than that, I'll second the sleeve length, and I think you're right about letting the hips out a tad. It looks to be hugging a little tight there. But I think this is a very good start.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I must have a totally different conception of good fit. The back of the shirt is bunching up above your waistband. It's also pulling at the sides of your chest. I'm no shirtmaker or tailor, but it looks like a little more room in the hips and chest would help. In the photos of the shirt untucked, it's obvious that it tapers too much toward the hem.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I must have a totally different conception of good fit. The back of the shirt is bunching up above your waistband. It's also pulling at the sides of your chest. I'm no shirtmaker or tailor, but it looks like a little more room in the hips and chest would help. In the photos of the shirt untucked, it's obvious that it tapers too much toward the hem.
+1. My comments are about the second shirt in particular. I guess if you're tucking it in, the taper's fine as long as you don't find it constricting. But if you're planning to wear it untucked, I think you want it to be quite a bit less exaggerated, particularly since you have a long, lean torso -- it throws the proportions off quite a bit to have such a severe taper, IMO and it's just too tight around the hips.

JimInSoCalif

Reaction score
It looks way too tight to me but I am a few generations older than the OP so my opinion might not have much merit on this issue.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
widen the hips by an inch and a half so it will look more natural. like others said it looks a bit weird and uncomfortable, it'll create unncessary stress and cause extra wrinkles.

Gsin

Reaction score
In the first set of pictures, the low rise trouser is over emphasizing the narrowness of the shirt at the hip. I feel that a higher rise pant would deemphasize the shirt issue as well as flatter your frame a bit more.

Overall, I like it. A few tweaks mentioned by the other posters would get you closer to perfection.

stephen

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments, everyone! I plan on placing a new order sometime tomorrow, so if you have any more thoughts -- please keep them coming!

Do you think loosening up the Hips / Waist measurements will take the bunching out of the back of the purple shirt?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stephen
Do you think loosening up the Hips / Waist measurements will take the bunching out of the back of the purple shirt?

That, and perhaps lengthening the hem to keep it all tucked in.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the first one a lot, looks better tucked in, the second one too. The other shirt is not really my style but looks fine on you, those style shirts look nicer tucked in if you want to wear them out then go for a collar without buttons.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone think these would be better with darts? With so much taper toward the waist, darts could really balance it out.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
there are so many things wrong with the fit.
I don't even know where to begin.

some of it has to do with the way you are standing.

You might as well go to the thrift store. find the smallest shirts possible and then wash them and throw them in a hot dryer.

I am making plenty of super slim shirts these days.
These are just way off.
Normally I would be kind and tell you what to fix? But I am not feeling that generous this morning.

Carl

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads