• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Casual linen shirts

The Swede

Reaction score
Weather is rapidly improving and I have been toying with the idea to purchase a few linen shirts for the summer. To be honest I have never worn one so my knowledge of the matter is limited at best.

I do however quite like the look and feel of linen, and can imagine it being very nice during warmer days. I am looking for mostly casual versions, not planning on wearing them with a suit. Maybe even one or two with short sleeves.

What brands do you recommend? Input on colours and matching are also welcome.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A one-piece "camp collar" is a nice feature if you don't ever plan to wear it with a tie. Basic white or cream works well with most summer colors.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ermenegildo Zegna has some shirts in heavy linen, long sleeves and camp collars. I think thay haven't sold too well - I've seen tham for sale at deep discounts.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have heard that some people think that short sleeves are for pederasts.

I am not sure of what a camp collar is. I have two linen (or maybe linen&cotton) shirts with "Mao" collars. Very nice for informal summer wear (however, I think it is a local brand and the quality is not very nice, so I will not recommend it). I have also one striped "formal" linen shirt (maybe with some cotton in it) that I like a lot (it is an MTM shirt so I cannot recommend the "brand"). I use it for work (with my only cotton&linen odd jacket) in summer (with or without tie). I intend to get more linen shirts and linen based odd jackets and maybe even suits. I really like the look in summer. Maybe a bit informal, but very nice.
I was in the Zegna store recently, and they have several linen outfits (jackets, trousers and shirts). I liked the combination of brown jackets/blue trousers and viceversa. Also the shirts looked nice. I think the jackets costed around EUR 600. A bit expensive, maybe, as they looked quite "simple" in what regards the construction. I may have a look when the sales start, though, although the problem is that their jackets do not normally fit me very well; and I am not sure that I would like to pay the MTM price for this stuff.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by epa
I am not sure of what a camp collar is. .
111-1958.jpg

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been in the Dominican Republic for the last 3 weeks and wore linen shirts often. Very comfortable and light in the hot weather.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jantzen's linen range is quite good, with a good selection of solid colours. (Example attached). Mind you, it might be winter again before you see your linen shirts.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by California Dreamer
Jantzen's linen range is quite good, with a good selection of solid colours. (Example attached). Mind you, it might be winter again before you see your linen shirts.
Dude, you singlehandedly just started a run on Jantzen linen shirts. Unless I missed something, they've never carried linen before.

Tom

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you're looking for a true casual shirt -- where the linen need not be so refined -- Old Navy usually offers some for $25. The small fit me surprisingly well, considering most OTR shirts are like tents.

The ones at Old Navy last summer were at least as nice as the ones at BR that retailed for three times the price. I picked up a few on sale and should be set for this year as well. Great for beater shirts/outdoor activities.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02
Dude, you singlehandedly just started a run on Jantzen linen shirts. Unless I missed something, they've never carried linen before.

Tom

They've had them for a while, at least six months.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
They've had them for a while, at least six months.
I'm good at missing things
blush.gif

I need to call Ricky anyway, this is just gravy.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
If you're looking for a true casual shirt -- where the linen need not be so refined -- Old Navy usually offers some for $25. The small fit me surprisingly well, considering most OTR shirts are like tents.

The ones at Old Navy last summer were at least as nice as the ones at BR that retailed for three times the price. I picked up a few on sale and should be set for this year as well. Great for beater shirts/outdoor activities.

Yeah I got a few of those too great for the $10-$15 I spent on them at the end of the season.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02

Tom

I have to disagree. Last time I was there my friend picked up a couple of linen shirts, and I do remember seeing a linen swatch book.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads