• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A good description of BR customers

dsmolken

Reaction score
From a rant about wearing shorts found on a sports website, this very true quote:

"Oh, what's that? Linen pants are breathable? Oh hey, that's great! Let me just plunk down $200 for a pair at Banana Republic, because that's totally within my price range. Organic fabric only for me! Oh, and look! They don't have any waist sizes above 28 inches! Because everyone who shops at Banana Republic is some kind of magical skinny Eurofairy who stays reed thin on a diet of cigarettes, cocaine, and gross self-absorption!"

And, yeah, the rest of it is just as SF-approved. Have fun discussing it: http://deadspin.com/5805887/ill-wear...oddamn-want-to

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Saw that article yesterday. Pretty funny.

As someone that lives in the south I can attest to the necessity of shorts. Granted I would never wear them to the office or any sort of occasion, but I have found that they are invaluable in the late summer months.

A pair of nice, well cut khaki shorts (i.e. not flaring out, cut above the knee and straight through the thigh) go very well with penny loafers, a hoof pick belt, button down and unstructured linen sport coat on the weekends.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's hilarious to see the point of view that much of the general population has about a place like BR...it just shows how SF is an overwhelming minority of the whole. Everyone here may think BR sells cheap crap compared to all the brands that are praised on this forum, but most other people look at Banana as a high-end outfit. Also funny...their pants are huge compared to all the Mabitex and Panta that I'm used to now.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Sometimes you're sitting in your car and you can feel the sweat pooling up in your ass because your ass is trapped between your body and the scorching hot leather interior and God that's an awful moment."
So it's so hot that trousers are an impossibility, yet he willingly drives a car with a leather interior?

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Beatlegeuse
It's hilarious to see the point of view that much of the general population has about a place like BR...it just shows how SF is an overwhelming minority of the whole. Everyone here may think BR sells cheap crap compared to all the brands that are praised on this forum, but most other people look at Banana as a high-end outfit. Also funny...their pants are huge compared to all the Mabitex and Panta that I'm used to now.

Although I don't hold BR in complete contempt like some, this is an excellent point.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cant kill da Rooster
Although I don't hold BR in complete contempt like some, this is an excellent point.

Exactly...I actually have a couple BR items that I really like, but it's funny to see a non-SFer's opinion about the brand, especially in the context of all the other stuff you usually see written here.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think they used to produce better quality. I have a couple of coats by them I still wear. Even now at their 40% off sales, I don't think their price point is bad. But then again, I still wear shorts.

Well...occasionally.

viator

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
So it's so hot that trousers are an impossibility, yet he willingly drives a car with a leather interior?

He also complains he can't afford to shop at BR for pants, but he can afford a car with leather interior.

Also, the level of homophobia in that "rant" is very offputting.

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by viator
He also complains he can't afford to shop at BR for pants, but he can afford a car with leather interior.
I had a friend who complains she can't afford rent (~$500/mon) when she goes for $300 hair treatments on a regular basis.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by viator

Also, the level of homophobia in that "rant" is very offputting.

Huh? Used cars are cheap. In addition Ford, Kia, and the like have started puting leather in their low-end offerings. He probably owns an old Buick with pleather and no AC.

Imhoff

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Beatlegeuse
Exactly...I actually have a couple BR items that I really like, but it's funny to see a non-SFer's opinion about the brand, especially in the context of all the other stuff you usually see written here.

+1 this.

Own a few pieces from BR as well. Couple Monogram dress shirts, pair of chinos, couple ties (not made in China ones).

Anyways, the BR brand is not awful, but definitely don't pay retail for any of it. Would wait to buy only sale items that are further reduced (40% or more) and then pick up staples. Also agree that it is interesting to hear other shoppers in there talk about the brand being "high end".

As far as shorts, I have to wear em (on the weekends or extreme casual settings). When it is 110 outside, even linen pants can be too much. Plus, I like my legs to have some color too them and don't look like ghosts.
blush.gif

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think it's obvious from his rant that Drew Magary is a fattie. As much as I disapprove of men wearing shorts, fat men should doubly not wear shorts.

Keep dressing like a peasant, dude-bro.

Chris37R

Reaction score
Shorts are always going to be hard. I find myself going from real menswear most the the year with dress shirts, sport jackets and suits to all of the sudden beach looking college kid with rolled up sleeves on collared shirts and a random assortment of shorts.
It's comfortable and better than spending hundreds of dollars to look more mature (and still be wearing SHORTS).

mjphillips

Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
I think it's obvious from his rant that Drew Magary is a fattie. As much as I disapprove of men wearing shorts, fat men should doubly not wear shorts.

Keep dressing like a peasant, dude-bro.

He's quite upfront about this...recently lost like 60lbs and did a popular post on deadspin about it. His writing in general is somewhat meant to offend....he's also a published author and upfront about his privileged background so I think he's being a bit facetious about not being able to afford linen pants.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads